Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

30 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Do they still have that goofy rule where you can call 1-2 different players after the group stage??  Maybe there is a method to the madness.  

I don't think so.

I think you can swap out injured players 24 hours before your opening match

27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It is. Player release his mandatory for the Gold Cup, just like the UEFA Euros or the CONMEBOL Copa America.

This is why the US players were missing from the TFC game.

I find it really odd that Herdman was whining about the lack of prep time for nations league, but then left MLS players with their clubs during the international window. Cost has to be minimal given the limited travel. Isn't he saying that playing for Bob Bradley on terrible TFC team is better than anything he could do with them in camp? 

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not saying Waterman is better than Miller, nor can I say for sure that Inter Miami's defense is worse, but they are 10 points and 7 spots lower than Montreal in the East, and sit at the bottom. So in other words, how much of that horror show should be pinned on Joel? We don't hold it again Miller that Miami has allowed 24 goals, which is just 3 goals better than Montreal. Maybe that's because Kamal is a core player and Waterman is a fringe player - or has Waterman in particular really been that bad?

Regardless, I think Waterman, who can play LCB, RCB, and probably RB in an emergency, is right to be angry. Let that anger drive him to be better.

I agree it's not a hill to die on, and I agree that Choiniere is an outright snub, but Waterman has to at least be a questionable ommission.

At the end of the day, I don't mind the opportunity going to Bombito or Zator, since they have 0 caps and Waterman already has 2. The more we spread the international caps around, the better for the depth of the pool. I guess I just take issue with the idea that Waterman is the 5th RCB in the depth chart. I mean, technically you can say it's true, since he's not there, but based on talent I would dispute it. 

Also, isn't Kyle Heibert a left sided player? Same with Bombito? Both of those guys have played LCB or even LB this season, no? 

Agreed, I meant the comment in the sense that yes, Waterman has not stood out as being at fault for the mess or as the solution to stabilizing the mess, just part of the shit show.  Not directly due to his own play or shortcomings.  The guys beside him are at the least equally responsible if not more responsible for the mess.  Either way, Waterman has not stood out, they all look error prone and confused back there.

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Not saying Waterman is better than Miller, nor can I say for sure that Inter Miami's defense is worse, but they are 10 points and 7 spots lower than Montreal in the East, and sit at the bottom. So in other words, how much of that horror show should be pinned on Joel? We don't hold it again Miller that Miami has allowed 24 goals, which is just 3 goals better than Montreal. Maybe that's because Kamal is a core player and Waterman is a fringe player - or has Waterman in particular really been that bad?

Regardless, I think Waterman, who can play LCB, RCB, and probably RB in an emergency, is right to be angry. Let that anger drive him to be better.

I agree it's not a hill to die on, and I agree that Choiniere is an outright snub, but Waterman has to at least be a questionable ommission.

At the end of the day, I don't mind the opportunity going to Bombito or Zator, since they have 0 caps and Waterman already has 2. The more we spread the international caps around, the better for the depth of the pool. I guess I just take issue with the idea that Waterman is the 5th RCB in the depth chart. I mean, technically you can say it's true, since he's not there, but based on talent I would dispute it. 

Also, isn't Kyle Heibert a left sided player? Same with Bombito? Both of those guys have played LCB or even LB this season, no? 

Agreed, I meant the comment in the sense that yes, Waterman has not stood out as being at fault for the mess or as the solution to stabilizing the mess, just part of the shit show.  Not directly due to his own play or shortcomings.  The guys beside him are at the least equally responsible if not more responsible for the mess.  Either way, Waterman has not stood out, they all look error prone and confused back there.

19 minutes ago, costarg said:

That's what I see but was thinking perhaps I hadn't watched as much as you. IIRC you're a Montreal fan and I am not (though my liking for them grows the more they play Canadians). It does seem however that you see what I see, which is a defence prone to errors (of which Waterman is a part of), yet he's not necessarily any worse than the rest. The few games I watched he made some pretty big defensive plays, to be fair to him, and I love his ability on the ball. I am sure he'd do better in a better defensive unit (like Canada's). 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

That's what I see but was thinking perhaps I hadn't watched as much as you. IIRC you're a Montreal fan and I am not (though my liking for them grows the more they play Canadians). It does seem however that you see what I see, which is a defence prone to errors (of which Waterman is a part of), yet he's not necessarily any worse than the rest. The few games I watched he made some pretty big defensive plays, to be fair to him, and I love his ability on the ball. I am sure he'd do better in a better defensive unit (like Canada's). 

Keep in mind that with Canada he would mostly be playing against opposition superior to that of MLS.

On 6/23/2023 at 10:11 AM, The Beaver 2.0 said:

I'd love to understand Herdman's reasoning on this one.

Hard to say.  I was going to speculate on maintainjng safe possession under pressure (which is a big reason why Kaye is out of the circle of trust, imo), and in the only times I have seen him play (early in the season, granted) I thought he needed to tighten that up.  Otherwise, he checks off a lot of positive boxes with his play and it looks like he has been a big part of his club's success at this point of the season.  I'd be curious to hear Herdman's reasoning, too: I thought Choiniere would have been a sure GC selection

Edited by BearcatSA

49 minutes ago, shorty said:

JH also puts a huge premium on team culture. Maybe the one time MC was in camp he didn’t fit with “the vibe”?  Just speculating.  Regardless, JH gets a failing grade for his media game here. 

The team culture and vibe thing worked during wcq. Its time to move past that and bring in players who are deserving to be there. Choniere is one of them. It’s not like this Gold Cup is massively important where every top team is sending their A squad(Jamaica excluded). 

5 hours ago, king1010 said:

6 hours ago, shorty said:

JH also puts a huge premium on team culture. Maybe the one time MC was in camp he didn’t fit with “the vibe”?  Just speculating.  Regardless, JH gets a failing grade for his media game here. 

Expand  

The team culture and vibe thing worked during wcq. Its time to move past that and bring in players who are deserving to be there. Choniere is one of them. It’s not like this Gold Cup is massively important where every top team is sending their A squad(Jamaica excluded). 

Agree 100%. Was only speculating about the reason because it seems bizarre to leave him out, particularly for the reasons given publicly. Besides, team culture shouldn’t be a closed club but something everyone can buy into and help build if they merit being there. 

I’d like to think and I’m going to tell myself that Choiniere would have been called as Eustaquio’s replacement ahead of Fraser.  But by that point, he was actually injured.  
Still no excuse for his omission from the original squad.  But I just can’t imagine how Fraser would be selected over him.