Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

I saw some highlights but last Saturday was the first time I’ve watched Mtl this season. Really like the progression I saw from Choinière. Way smarter in his 1v1 compared to last season. I don’t think he got any faster or stronger, he just learnt (at MLS level of course) how to keep a good distance from the opponent and use his great acceleration to burn him. Passing, positioning are also better. I’m impressed.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Having Russell Teibert or Terry Dunfield's motor but 10x their offensive potential is a pretty useful player.

That's the best description I've read for him.  We're underrating this guy.  

I know it's probably already been said by someone else, but I think he has a very good shot of making one of the two rosters this summer. Eustaquio, Kone, Osorio and Kaye are ahead of him, but Oso is going to be in a race against time and Kaye is not a 90 minute player. We could go from 4 to 2 deep pretty quickly. I question whether he's behind Loturi or not. Both are in the same situation having exactly one national team camp under their belts and zero caps.

The narrative around Choiniere has changed since his call up. This is the highest we've collectively been on him. He's inarguably in the best form of his career at the moment. Same can be said for Loturi, though. It will be interesting to see which of these two gets rewarded with a call. Can we possibly see both of them?

Choniere can play wingback and considering Hoilett, Davies and Buchanan are not playing, we may need him to provide cover. Only Adekugbe and Laryea are healthy right now. No Johnston even. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

I know it's probably already been said by someone else, but I think he has a very good shot of making one of the two rosters this summer. Eustaquio, Kone, Osorio and Kaye are ahead of him, but Oso is going to be in a race against time and Kaye is not a 90 minute player. We could go from 4 to 2 deep pretty quickly. I question whether he's behind Loturi or not. Both are in the same situation having exactly one national team camp under their belts and zero caps.

The narrative around Choiniere has changed since his call up. This is the highest we've collectively been on him. He's inarguably in the best form of his career at the moment. Same can be said for Loturi, though. It will be interesting to see which of these two gets rewarded with a call. Can we possibly see both of them?

Choniere can play wingback and considering Hoilett, Davies and Buchanan are not playing, we may need him to provide cover. Only Adekugbe and Laryea are healthy right now. No Johnston even. 

I really want us to use 3-5-2 against good teams (ie. not give the freedom of the midfield to all comers).  We have two strikers in form if their situations allow them to be called but also have some still playing at decent levels or also showing some form.   Also our wingers can be wingbacks, are injured or have not been playing. 

It does means we need starters and depth for those three centre midfield spots.  Choniere and Loturi are in that mix from what I have been able to see/hear/read.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is the highest we've collectively been on him. He's inarguably in the best form of his career at the moment.

A few of us have been high on him for years, but he was understandably stuck behind some pretty big names in the midfield at CFM so has been playing limited minutes out of position, still looked good, but you could tell it wasn't natural.  He just depended on his soccer IQ, instincts and quickness to get by. 

He's finally gotten a steady run of minutes in the midfield and has finally showed what we expected and have been waiting for.

40 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

It does means we need starters and depth for those three centre midfield spots.  Choniere and Loturi are in that mix from what I have been able to see/hear/read.

Yea I don’t think it’s a versus thing either. They play two separate roles, and have different skillsets. We just have to hope these guys stay healthy.

19 minutes ago, Lansdude said:

Well this match clearly illustrated he should be taking Kaye's place on the national team.

While I agree with you that, based on the last month, Choiniere deserves a look and Kaye’s stock has fallen, I actually didn’t think this was a bad game from Kaye. Miles better than his previous outings. Debatable whether it was a good enough performance for national team selection, but better.

I do hope Choiniere gets a call at least. Not sure their roles are like for like, but still. Choiniere is more of an heir to the Hoilett attacking-mid-wing-ish role than whatever Kaye’s not-quite-a-6-not-quite-an-8 role is. 

12 hours ago, shorty said:

...I do hope Choiniere gets a call at least. Not sure their roles are like for like, but still. Choiniere is more of an heir to the Hoilett attacking-mid-wing-ish role than whatever Kaye’s not-quite-a-6-not-quite-an-8 role is. 

This. He's more of an attacking mid, so he would be competing with Oso  vs Kaye. Kone has already taken over from Kaye.

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

This. He's more of an attacking mid, so he would be competing with Oso  vs Kaye. Kone has already taken over from Kaye.

You're right, but he's also played WB, DM, M as well as AM.  He's not flashy, but he's got a high soccer IQ and ridiculously fit, which helps him be so diverse.

1 minute ago, costarg said:

You're right, but he's also played WB, DM, M as well as AM.  He's not flashy, but he's got a high soccer IQ and ridiculously fit, which helps him be so diverse.

Interesting. Didn't know he has played DM. How did he do in that role? 

9 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting. Didn't know he has played DM. How did he do in that role? 

Our midfielders seem to be more fluid. 

Loturi and Piette are pure CDMs.

Kaye, staq, choineirre, kone  are all semi 6's/8's/(maybe even 10's for staq choin and kone)

Oso and spoony are semi 10/8 

24 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Our midfielders seem to be more fluid. 

Loturi and Piette are pure CDMs.

Kaye, staq, choineirre, kone  are all semi 6's/8's/(maybe even 10's for staq choin and kone)

Oso and spoony are semi 10/8 

How about Priso?

There is nothing that Kaye does that Choiniere couldn't also do while also being a bit more comfortable going forward.

One of Kaye's lead attributes is his fitness and work rate.  Choiniere has got this in spades and I think there is still some room to grow, especially if he keeps being such an important cog for CFM.  At Choiniere's current age, Kaye was just going into his second year with LAFC.