Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

Just now, narduch said:

As far as I can tell Bombito doesn't even play CDM for his club

You're right and Im not even advocating for bombito or bombito as a CDM. I'm just explaining how Herdman would build out his squad for the GC.  

At CM he would consider oso, ali choiniere etc 
At CDM he would consider bombito, fraser, loturi 

Even if our top 6 CM's are twice as good as our top CDM's, they still wouldnt compete with each other for roster spots. There has to be balance within squad positions. (obviously a guy like staq could play both roles). 

Just saying… Montreal have shown no fear in selling their stars and this guys stock just keeps rising. Montreal probably expect a jump from Saliba and will have Zouhir coming back from USL so it’s not like they would be selling with no depth behind him. I don’t think a move is needed but I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves in January.

7 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Just saying… Montreal have shown no fear in selling their stars and this guys stock just keeps rising. Montreal probably expect a jump from Saliba and will have Zouhir coming back from USL so it’s not like they would be selling with no depth behind him. I don’t think a move is needed but I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves in January.

I am not convinced Choniere will be sold to a better league in January or ever.

He's had a great season by his standards, but he strikes me as competent without being remarkable. I would describe him to be a very good glue guy, much like Osorio in that way. As we know, Oso became a lifer in MLS, which isn't bad necessarily, especially if you can get a TAM contract for a few seasons, or a low-level DP contract. Just based on the way he plays I feel like this will be his future.

Saliba on the other hand has that je ne sais quoi about him that screems higher level in Europe. It was the same with Kone, or Nelson if you want a TFC comparison.

Choiniere feels like he could go to Belgium, for example, and replicate what he does now for a mid-table club, but there are tons of European players who can do also that, so unless he signs somewhere like that on a free I don't see Europe in the cards.

Obviously I hope to eat my words on this. I like Choniere and Europe would obviously be good. If not though, fine. He's not even close to outgrowing MLS anyways. 

29 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Is it true Choiniere is half-Mexican? I could swear I read that somewhere.

Half Filipino no?

29 minutes ago, Obinna said:

He's had a great season by his standards, but he strikes me as competent without being remarkable. I would describe him to be a very good glue guy, much like Osorio in that way. As we know, Oso became a lifer in MLS, which isn't bad necessarily, especially if you can get a TAM contract for a few seasons, or a low-level DP contract. Just based on the way he plays I feel like this will be his future.

Saliba on the other hand has that je ne sais quoi about him that screems higher level in Europe. It was the same with Kone, or Nelson if you want a TFC comparison.

Choiniere feels like he could go to Belgium, for example, and replicate what he does now for a mid-table club, but there are tons of European players who can do also that, so unless he signs somewhere like that on a free I don't see Europe in the cards.

Obviously I hope to eat my words on this. I like Choniere and Europe would obviously be good. If not though, fine. He's not even close to outgrowing MLS anyways. 

Per #IJSources (know a guy who knew the agent he hired in England last year), Osorio's TFC wages are very high and those types of wages weren't available in the Championship which is why he stayed at TFC. I don't think Choiniere has that "issue", but also I'm not sure what sort of league or club would want a player of his profile. Too old for a selling club, not elite enough for a club in European competition. He's probably good enough to play in Turkey or Belgium, but he can also stay in Montreal and become a club legend at his local club which isn't a terrible way to play your career.

Agreed about Saliba. He's destined for bigger and better things. Speaking of Nelson, Rosenborg should replace Nypan with Saliba once they sell him for a small country's GDP.

39 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yup, Choiniere is not old at 24, but Saliba at 19 is the more enticing player for a move to a European team. Regardless, I'm just enjoying watching them both develop at Montreal. When you factor in Zouhir who is  20 & Kone, Quebec seems to be the hotbed for midfielders

6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Half Filipino no?

Per #IJSources (know a guy who knew the agent he hired in England last year), Osorio's TFC wages are very high and those types of wages weren't available in the Championship which is why he stayed at TFC. I don't think Choiniere has that "issue", but also I'm not sure what sort of league or club would want a player of his profile. Too old for a selling club, not elite enough for a club in European competition. He's probably good enough to play in Turkey or Belgium, but he can also stay in Montreal and become a club legend at his local club which isn't a terrible way to play your career.

Agreed about Saliba. He's destined for bigger and better things. Speaking of Nelson, Rosenborg should replace Nypan with Saliba once they sell him for a small country's GDP.

Turkey or Belguim? that would put him on par with a guy like adekugbe or Buchanan (on the top end). Is choiniere actually that good? 

5 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Turkey or Belguim? that would put him on par with a guy like adekugbe or Buchanan (on the top end). Is choiniere actually that good? 

Both leagues have a pretty wide range of team quality though. Not saying he'd go to Besiktas or Brugge, but I think CF Montreal is probably a better team than some lower end Turkish or Belgian clubs. Don't know if those clubs would buy a player of his profile, but maybe Hatayspor buys him for 1M and flips him for 5M if he takes another leap. Good business for a small club I guess.

15 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Both leagues have a pretty wide range of team quality though. Not saying he'd go to Besiktas or Brugge, but I think CF Montreal is probably a better team than some lower end Turkish or Belgian clubs. Don't know if those clubs would buy a player of his profile, but maybe Hatayspor buys him for 1M and flips him for 5M if he takes another leap. Good business for a small club I guess.

Its for sure possible. Comparing him to adekugbe is interesting because I don't think they are that crazy difference in terms of quality... but its hard to wrap my mind around choiniere going to hatayspor at this point. 

13 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Its for sure possible. Comparing him to adekugbe is interesting because I don't think they are that crazy difference in terms of quality... but its hard to wrap my mind around choiniere going to hatayspor at this point. 

Keep in mind that Adekugbe has always played a lot better for Canada than for his club too. The player we know and love isn’t the same player who played for Hatayspor. I don’t think Choiniere would go to a club like that’s in all likelihood, he’ll be a career MLS player. Maybe Messi likes what he sees and he goes and fills a need down in Miami too. 

39 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Keep in mind that Adekugbe has always played a lot better for Canada than for his club too. The player we know and love isn’t the same player who played for Hatayspor. I don’t think Choiniere would go to a club like that’s in all likelihood, he’ll be a career MLS player. Maybe Messi likes what he sees and he goes and fills a need down in Miami too. 

Vancouver will tell us a lot because we weren't able to watch him easily in Turkey. Based on what we know though he's been one of the best left backs in the Super Lig since he joined. Very often he was player of the match for Hatayspor and was loaned to Galatasaray when the disaster happened, which so happened to be the league champs last season. 

If Adekugbe wasn't a top 5 left back in Turkey, he was probably in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Vancouver will tell us a lot because we weren't able to watch him easily in Turkey. Based on what we know though he's been one of the best left backs in the Super Lig since he joined. Very often he was player of the match for Hatayspor and was loaned to Galatasaray when the disaster happened, which so happened to be the league champs last season. 

If Adekugbe wasn't a top 5 left back in Turkey, he was probably in the top 10. 

I admittedly didn’t watch much Hatayspor, but I remember his numbers weren’t anything special, and when he went to Galatasaray, fans where overwhelmingly down on him, very happy when he was benched, they thought he was not up to par for a club of that size, but then again, his ratings were always positive and fans of clubs like that are very tough on their players, so maybe they didn’t give him enough credit. Agreed re: Vancouver though. They’re a team that wants to go deep into the playoffs, plus he’s with his national team teammates Laryea and Ahmed, so it’ll be a good opportunity to get a good view into how he plays for his club. 

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

That's how I see it as well.  Saliba has the greater upside and probably is more likely to be sold to Europe. I do think Choiniere could do a Laryea in a year or two if he keeps performing consistently at the level he is now and perhaps even improves somewhat and then be sold to a Championship level side.

• 3 weeks later...

Can’t believe i had to go back 5 pages to find Choiniere’s thread. This guy was doing it all again last night. Attacking and defending on the opposite sides of the field, constantly. He broke up a play in the box at 87’ and was one of the 3 attackers near the opposite box 20 seconds later. He just doesn’t stop. 

Edit: just noticed we’re talking about him in other theeads

Edited by costarg

• 3 weeks later...