Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

There is nothing that Kaye does that Choiniere couldn't also do while also being a bit more comfortable going forward.

One of Kaye's lead attributes is his fitness and work rate.  Choiniere has got this in spades and I think there is still some room to grow, especially if he keeps being such an important cog for CFM.  At Choiniere's current age, Kaye was just going into his second year with LAFC.

You did a good job explaing it.

My first gut reply to the earlier post about Kaye vs Choiniere was gonna be: "anything Kaye can do, Choiniere can do better".  But I didn't wanna fall into the TFC v CFM trap, so i treaded carefully and just explained what Choiniere can do.

He definitely is a bit of a surprise to me this year.  I watched a lot of Montreal last year and while he showed flashes, I kinda had him pencilled in as an MLS sub/spot starter.  He really has stepped it up this year and I would agree that he has moved past Kaye for the reasons others say. I hope he can keep it up as could play the Oso role in NL and Gold Cup if the latter not available.  Herdman loves players that can play multiple positions as it gives so much in match flexibility as well as injury cover and the flexibility to play multiple formations. So he fits right in with that ethos. 

I also see Ahmed in the mix although maybe he needs a full year of pro to consolidate his position with the whitecaps and get more consistent. 

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, VinceA said:

The only reason I could see is Montreal were adamant he stayed with them. But we won't know unless someone asks.

This is almost certainly it. Choiniere has been their most important player all year. I highly doubt that him not being on the GC squad is due to some Herdman blind spot. I think he asked and they said "please, please, please no!" and he played nice.

If he's not included in the Fall windows, then we can start asking questions.

Check notes…

He called Miller who is on a bottom feeder and hasn’t played well since his move…Osorio has missed a ton of time due to injury but is on a poor team. He looks slowwww. 

Wotherspoon (who I do like) is 33, without a team and got “rewarded” with his World Cup appearance. This specifically is hard to justify over Choiniere. Especially with him being more versatile. 

Hoilette (who I like being included for leadership) was on a bottom feeder and relegated. Does that mean he doesn’t have a winning mentality? 

Think Herdman is high on his own supply with this omission. Especially when he only calls 6 midfielders (including JH in that) and 3 of them are on the wrong side of 30. 

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

Believe if you want to or not.

Probably not a great thing to say, but it seems like he's a) referring to the Nations League squad, not Gold Cup, and b) referring to bringing in as many as possible of the NTers that have been part of the winning moments (ie: WCQ) and to give them a chance to win a trophy together. I'm not saying this is the best way to assemble a squad but I understand the mentality.

I don't think this was a slight at Montreal players in general, or Choiniere and Waterman in particular.

That said, Choiniere should absolutely be at the Gold Cup. Waterman hasn't been great this year and is a reasonable omission.

Edited by jonovision

Jonathan Sirois, statistically a top tier gk in the MLS who now has 6 straight home clean sheets (tied for MLS record I think they said?) at 21 is not a winner. Instead, I'd like to call in Tom McGill, an older keeper who has played most of his professional minutes in like the northern counties league.

Happy to give Herdman a massive benefit of the doubt, and I don't think Waterman should've earned a call on merit, but Choiniere and Sirois are certifiably better than players on our roster. Really thought that maybe Losada asked him to not pick his guys because Montreal would effectively not have a fieldable team without those two, hence the ZBG call, but if Waterman is that pissed and if Herdman made that comment, then it sounds like it's a tactical decision which is insane.

If after all of this we don't see players like McGill, Loturi, Bombito, or McGraw- hell, Zator even, actually play, I'm going to be asking some very difficult questions about this team's coaching staff.

I think Herdman wants his players to challenge themselves and move to Europe and so Loturi and Wotherspoon was called over him at THAT position. Same with Waterman and Zator.

Players like McGraw fits an extreme need at central CB in back three. Bombito only has one player in Europe at LCB with Kennedy and he was called.

Not that I agree with it.

Waterman snub I totally get.  He hasn't been great and I think there are cases for Bombito & McGraw and even Zator to an extent.  Sirois is a bit of a surprise but I also understand that Borjan is still ahead of him.  I was shocked he didn't take the Gold Cup off.  Dayne has become that backup and a part of this squad.  McGill has been chosen on his potential apparently.  I am also okay with leaving Sirois off of this Gold Cup but he absolutely should be in consideration if his form continues.  Perhaps, he doesn't want to risk losing his spot to Pantemis as the starter.  Montreal hasn't really established a starting keeper over the last couple of years as it seems to rotate between two goalies depending on form and situation. 

Choiniere is a snub for me, which is ironic because he was included in our pre-world cup friendlies back in the fall so you'd think he would have only moved further up our depth charts.  I have always been a big supporter of Wotherspoon but this better be his "swan song" tournament because there is no way he should be there ahead of Choiniere.  The other midfielders including Ali, I have no arguments in their inclusion over Choiniere.  However, given how few midfielders we have on this squad, I feel there is a forward or defender that could/should have been sacrificed for Choiniere's inclusion.