Mathieu Choinière

Big_M

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

Sorry not sure if they awarded it to Duke.

Choiniere took the fk.

There was speculation Corbo got a head to it, but as it stands, I think they're giving it to Choiniere. 

In any case, up 2-0 against a top Liga MX side is a dream first half. 

Edited by DeRo_Is_King

46 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Choiniere is making it impossible for JH to exclude him not only with his MLS allstar selection but his continued strong play. Seems to be playing with a lot of intensity as well. Not sure if this is new or just the confidence he has gained this season

I agree 100% but we're starting to see that Herdman has his boys and has pre-conceived notions of other players.

In particular he doesn't seem to like the Montreal crop of guys much these days.

32 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I agree 100% but we're starting to see that Herdman has his boys and has pre-conceived notions of other players.

In particular he doesn't seem to like the Montreal crop of guys much these days.

It's a bit weird.  I mean he liked/likes Sam Piette, Kamal and Kone.  When did he fall off the CFM wagon and why? 

7 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

I think we’ll have to wait for next window to find out if there’s really a thing against Montreal, Im still not convinced Montreal just weren’t big fans of some of their best players leaving for the GC

I couid be mistaken, but didn't i read somewhere on here that  Herdman said "we want guys from winning teams, with winning mentalities" or something like that when asked where the CFM boys were?

We know CFM was not responsible for the players missing from CANMNT, that much is documented.

Edited by costarg

6 hours ago, GasPed said:

It's a bit weird.  I mean he liked/likes Sam Piette, Kamal and Kone.  When did he fall off the CFM wagon and why? 

How many minutes does Piette have under Herdman?  I don't think it's very many considering his level of play and the other options.

As for Kamal, the only the only guys that seem hard-done by Herdman more than CFM guys are probably Cornelius and James (when he was still playing at a decent level). 

Kone, like Choiniere gave Herdman no option.  The fans and media would've ripped him apart.  

While it was still a very questionable decision to not call Choiniere for the initial GC squad, he was called as the first man up when Eustaquio dropped out but was injured at the time, so he was definitely close to being on that squad. He really should be a lock now moving forward though. Hell of a player who would fit perfectly next to Kone and Staq in a 3-man midfield.

11 hours ago, costarg said:

How many minutes does Piette have under Herdman?  I don't think it's very many considering his level of play and the other options.

As for Kamal, the only the only guys that seem hard-done by Herdman more than CFM guys are probably Cornelius and James (when he was still playing at a decent level). 

Kone, like Choiniere gave Herdman no option.  The fans and media would've ripped him apart.  

I disagree with this anti-montreal sentiment. Sure, herdman said montreal needs a winning mentality but I dont think hes against montreal at all.  

Piette's been called up consistently but isnt at a high enough level to force his way into the starting line up. His skill set is very specific so it makes sense he doesnt get lots of minutes from the bench. 

Kone was good but i think leaving him off the WC squad wouldnt be that absurd. A poor choice but nothing like leaving a laryea or adekgube type player at home (at the time). Basically I don't think kone was sooo amazing that it was impossible for herdman to leave him at home if herdman had a bias against montreal. In fact, herdman called him up extremely quickly after his pro debut so I dont think theres an anti bias. 

Sirios- its better to keep his momentum going at montreal than to drop mcgill for him at a GC just to sit on the bench. Plus its a good long term play to keep mcgill interested. 

Kamal - has been the #1 LCB for years, no bias there. 

Waterman - Not good enough. Mcgraw showed more and is the profile we need. Bombito is more versatile in the positions we need, with a better profile and a higher ceiling. Waterman looked horrible against bahrain as well.  I think dropping waterman is the right call. 

Choiniere - This is the only puzzling decision for me. The GC would have been perfect for him given our squad depth at cm. Perhaps he was viewed as similar to ahmed and JH wanted one of them? If he started CM, then ahmed goes to the bench or LWB. Then millar drops to the bench or goes striker, which means hoilett goes to the bench. There wasnt room in our starting 11 for him using this logic (although i think he would have been extremely useful at the GC as a starter or sub). 

I think it's as simple as Herdman prioritizes guys in Europe and if he's going MLS it's either the national team mainstays (Osorio, Miller, etc.) or new guys (JRR, McGraw, Bombito), so Choiniere was de-prioritized, and as this was all happening, his form went from being a guy who should probably be on the NT to a guy who needs to be called up, and by that time, the roster was chosen and when it was time to replace Eustaquio, he was injured.

I can't imagine Herdman having an anti-montreal sentiment- Montreal is probably the closest team to Canada's NT in the sense that CFM is a low budget team that is excellent at finding diamonds in the rough, plays above their level, develops young Canadians well, doesn't rely on a few star players to run the team, it's really a group effort, and over the past few years they've shown a great ability in cycling players in and out with relatively good success. Plus, the fact that he called in ZBG, Montreal's like 7th best player, probably points to Herdman liking Montreal on some level, because even though he's played for Canada a few times, it's a reach.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think it's as simple as Herdman prioritizes guys in Europe and if he's going MLS it's either the national team mainstays (Osorio, Miller, etc.) or new guys (JRR, McGraw, Bombito), so Choiniere was de-prioritized, and as this was all happening, his form went from being a guy who should probably be on the NT to a guy who needs to be called up, and by that time, the roster was chosen and when it was time to replace Eustaquio, he was injured.

This is logical except that Choiniere would have been a new guy as he has never been capped or called up.

18 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

This is logical except that Choiniere would have been a new guy as he has never been capped or called up.

He was called up for the friendly against Bahrain. Didn’t play, but the only logical explanation I have is he saw Choiniere in a camp, so wanted to check out Ahmed and the other new MLS guys this time. 

Unless things have changed, JH has extensive phone calls and contacts with prospective players to find out where their heads are at and what their intentions are. I’m not a Herdman apologist, these are just the facts from previous years’ reporting.

Given that, either JH has been honest about where MC fits tactically (similar to others’ speculations above), or MC has been hesitant or said some things that don’t strike JH as ambitious enough, or JH isn’t doing the same due diligence that he has in the past. 

JH certainly plays favourites, or at least defaults to “known quantities” but I think if MC fit with the other squad selections and expressed ambition, I find it hard to believe he wouldn’t be selected. 

Edited by shorty