Simon Colyn

Northvansteve

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Bryn is a shameful call up, after that anything goes.

I don’t understand this hate for this guy…I guess it’s just something to do.

Hes done well in his limited minutes, nothing questionable nothing spectacular but in his 217 minutes he has goal. I know a guy that 

I guess he’s someone that is just easily to “pick on” here while neglecting other players lack of contributions in greater opportunities. 

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Hes done well in his limited minutes, nothing questionable nothing spectacular but in his 217 minutes he has goal. I know a guy that 

I guess he’s someone that is just easily to “pick on” here while neglecting other players lack of contributions in greater opportunities. 

No hate whatsoever.  Happy he is doing well and really rooting for him to keep progressing.  But part of the current WC squad?  No way.  

So the logic on Koleasho is lure him from Big Joe's national team, which as dirty arts of football I understand, If Spain and France do that why not Canada/ Jamaica! USA/ the Mexicans etc.  

Español is on relegation battle . position 17 .   koleosho played in last may 5 minutes. Colyn plays in dutch 2nd divsion

5 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

Español?! Stop being a poser, ffs.

OK Espanyol in Catalá,  I understand the Koleasho logic to lure him, he seems good, but again Colyn is a better player in my opinion 

Colyn is more versatile

Has more flair

Is comfortable with left peg and right peg

Better passer 

Better finishing

, but both can have a good football understanding.

There is a lot to like about Colyn, but he's expressing that ability in the Dutch second division. Would he be able to replicate that in La Liga, with compressed time and space? I doubt it. Conversely, Koleosho has looked pretty decent (not outstanding) in the few minutes I have seen of him in La Liga, but I am willing to bet he's look much better than Colyn looks for the PSV reserves. Matter of fact, Koleosho would likely already be in the PSV first team, considering he's already in the Espanyol first team. 

This is not hate for Colyn. I am happy how he's progressing. He's come a long way from being frozen out in Vancouver and not making an impact for SPAL (aside from youth team soccer). That said, @dyslexic nam is correct. There's no reasonable world where Colyn is getting into our World Cup team right now. I respect that others have different opinions, but that just seems very far-fetched to me. 

Can he be a player for 2026? Of course. And if Herdman didn't love Brym so much I would go out on a limb and predict he gets more caps than Charles in the long run, but I am not THAT bold :)

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

There is a lot to like about Colyn, but he's expressing that ability in the Dutch second division. Would he be able to replicate that in La Liga, with compressed time and space? I doubt it. Conversely, Koleosho has looked pretty decent (not outstanding) in the few minutes I have seen of him in La Liga, but I am willing to bet he's look much better than Colyn looks for the PSV reserves. Matter of fact, Koleosho would likely already be in the PSV first team, considering he's already in the Espanyol first team. 

This is not hate for Colyn. I am happy how he's progressing. He's come a long way from being frozen out in Vancouver and not making an impact for SPAL (aside from youth team soccer). That said, @dyslexic nam is correct. There's no reasonable world where Colyn is getting into our World Cup team right now. I respect that others have different opinions, but that just seems very far-fetched to me. 

Can he be a player for 2026? Of course. And if Herdman didn't love Brym so much I would go out on a limb and predict he gets more caps than Charles in the long run, but I am not THAT bold :)

If young Simon hadn't been the dog in the Farewell to Phonzie dog-and-pony show at BC Place back in 2018, we'd be looking at him as a very promising young player who'd done well in the youth set-ups of 3 different clubs in Canada, Italy, and Holland, and was now looking like he was ready to break into senior men's football at the age of 20. Unfortunately, everyone's perceptions were unfairly coloured by that poor attempt to portray him as the next great prospect, to fill Davies' shoes. He'll probably have a CMNT career. How extensive or impactful that career turns out to be remains to be seen. 

Other than that, put that dipshit Javier on your ignore list and let Simon get on with it without any external noise.

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

OK Espanyol in Catalá,  I understand the Koleasho logic to lure him, he seems good, but again Colyn is a better player in my opinion 

Colyn is more versatile

Has more flair

Is comfortable with left peg and right peg

Better passer 

Better finishing

, but both can have a good football understanding.

You haven't seen Luca play.

11 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

I think most people just wondering why we call up a 5th striker of that level. Legit interrogation.

He's not just a striker! He's a versatile player that can play LW, RW, or ST.
I'm not praising the kid, but like I said before you guys have to keep the same expectation and criticism for guys who have had A LOT more opportunities than him, and hasn't done "much" with it.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You haven't seen Luca play.

Just checked on clips he is a bit like Wes Hoolahan type of player.  We had one guy before Messi ( as i say Borjan is an outcome of Argentina-Uruguay) youth system the same for Messi was brought up in Barcelona as Alex Ferguson said he is a Barça philosophy player ( who was rejected by a dozen of teams because they had spare kids in his position.  His father worked for a very important company in Argentina and he took a gamble in Barcelona,  they couldn't sign him because they were some paperwork's). Rexach and Rijkaard were the ones pushing for his chance.

Koleosho seems an attacking midfielder lefty.  Similar to Hoolahan, Gustavo Lopez type of player 

Edited by JAVIERF

13 hours ago, Shway said:

There’s no hate, it’s just realism. All of us want him to succeed but there’s no justification for his call.

The one goal you reference came in a domestic camp against Barbados. Against real opposition at the u23 and senior level he has been poor. Particularly at the u23 level if you watched that tournament he was terrible.

He had a good year in the Dutch second division but now we see that he’s been demoted to the Dutch second tier from Sparta Rotterdam.

2 hours ago, Shway said:

He's not just a striker! He's a versatile player that can play LW, RW, or ST.
I'm not praising the kid, but like I said before you guys have to keep the same expectation and criticism for guys who have had A LOT more opportunities than him, and hasn't done "much" with it.

Who would fit that mould on this roster?  Maybe you’ll say Ugbo or Millar but the truth is both those guys are on different levels. 

11 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

If young Simon hadn't been the dog in the Farewell to Phonzie dog-and-pony show at BC Place back in 2018, we'd be looking at him as a very promising young player who'd done well in the youth set-ups of 3 different clubs in Canada, Italy, and Holland, and was now looking like he was ready to break into senior men's football at the age of 20. Unfortunately, everyone's perceptions were unfairly coloured by that poor attempt to portray him as the next great prospect, to fill Davies' shoes. He'll probably have a CMNT career. How extensive or impactful that career turns out to be remains to be seen. 

Other than that, put that dipshit Javier on your ignore list and let Simon get on with it without any external noise.

Name calling aside, you're right about the unfair expextations that were put on him, and I would agree that sort of lingered on in our minds when we think of this player. At least I felt that way. Maybe if things never played out that way I would have different expectations on Colyn, but on the flipside that was four years ago now. I don't believe that factors into my thoughts on hin anymore. I just look at the facts, he's playing for the reserve team of PSV, not Barcelona or Real Madrid. Rightly or wrongly, that will be held against him until he breaks into a first team environment. 

13 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

It’s Espanyol in English, Espanyol in German, Espanyol in Spanish, Espanyol in Italian, Espanyol in Danish and Espanyol in Finnish. Please stop trying to impress by putting accent everywhere.

It was actually always Español until they rebranded it with the Catalan spelling not that long ago, in the 90s. It was founded in 1900.

So instead of being like that about it, respect that he actually knows what he's talking about. When Pochettino first signed for them, it was still Español. Still today, it appears as Español in some media. Since Barça was founded by foreigners, their original idea was to contrast that by being a Spanish club.

BTW, the "tilde" isn't an accent, the ñ is an altogether different letter.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

There’s no hate, it’s just realism. All of us want him to succeed but there’s no justification for his call.

The one goal you reference came in a domestic camp against Barbados. Against real opposition at the u23 and senior level he has been poor. Particularly at the u23 level if you watched that tournament he was terrible.

He had a good year in the Dutch second division but now we see that he’s been demoted to the Dutch second tier from Sparta Rotterdam.

Who would fit that mould on this roster?  Maybe you’ll say Ugbo or Millar but the truth is both those guys are on different levels. 

I would have Colyn in the roster.  Tbf

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Name calling aside, you're right about the unfair expextations that were put on him, and I would agree that sort of lingered on in our minds when we think of this player. At least I felt that way. Maybe if things never played out that way I would have different expectations on Colyn, but on the flipside that was four years ago now. I don't believe that factors into my thoughts on hin anymore. I just look at the facts, he's playing for the reserve team of PSV, not Barcelona or Real Madrid. Rightly or wrongly, that will be held against him until he breaks into a first team environment. 

PSV is a big big team.  Don't be silly,  PSV Ajax and Feyenoord are big big team.  The top 20 teams in Europe they have more tradition than any team in France for example

2 hours ago, JAVIERF said:

Just checked on clips he is a bit like Wes Hoolahan type of player.  We had one guy before Messi ( as i say Borjan is an outcome of Argentina-Uruguay) youth system the same for Messi was brought up in Barcelona as Alex Ferguson said he is a Barça philosophy player ( who was rejected by a dozen of teams because they had spare kids in his position.  His father worked for a very important company in Argentina and he took a gamble in Barcelona,  they couldn't sign him because they were some paperwork's). Rexach and Rijkaard were the ones pushing for his chance.

Koleosho seems an attacking midfielder lefty.  Similar to Hoolahan, Gustavo Lopez type of player 

He's a conventional winger who runs at defenders and has two feet, can get out of a dribble on either. Better on the counter than a static attack. Physically developed for his age.

Not Gustavo López at all because he doesn't run that way. He's longer. Neither extremely fast nor extremely tricky. He's not far in profile to Millar or Theo, both of whom are more mature overall.

13 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

PSV is a big big team.  Don't be silly,  PSV Ajax and Feyenoord are big big team.  The top 20 teams in Europe they have more tradition than any team in France for example

Herdman specifically said he wants players playing 1st team football in strong leagues. Brym never has, and he just blew his chance at it. 

Colyn hasn't either but if it happens, for the Dutch league leader, it better be respected.

I think there's more context needed than quality of league for Brym vs. Colyn. For one, Brym plays for a senior side, Colyn plays for effectively a U21 team. Jong PSV are only in the same league as Eindhoven because Dutch football only had two professional leagues until like 10 years ago. Save for like one exception every year, the Jong teams are usually pretty bad, and it'll only be this season where they'll face the possibility of relegation, so Jong PSV isn't a team that is in the 2nd tier because they're that good, but because that's just how Dutch football works. To put this into context, Colyn had a strong 5 goals for Jong PSV last year. Leading goal scorer for them, Johan Bakayoko, a full year younger than him had 17. As far as I can tell, he's the only player from last year's team that has actually stuck on with the senior club and plays regularly. FOTMob is a fake rating, whatever, but he was like 8th in that category on the team last year- of the guys above him, 2 are at PSV, 2 are on other first div teams, and the rest are either still at JPSV or out of the system. They have a player with a similar rating to him who scored roughly around the same amount of goals who ended up at Pacos on a free transfer FWIW.

Beyond this, younger players at his same position have gotten bit features at PSV. being that the dutch league is so top heavy, their cup games feature some pretty bad opponents- why hasn't Colyn been called up to even the bench for any of those games? I mean, they're playing the very same 2nd div opponents he faces weekly.

Also, Jong PSV doesn't have anyone over 21. and Colyn is turning 21 in February. All of the above indicates that his future is more likely to *hopefully* sign with a Dutch team or end up in Portugal or Belgium, and at that point, he's pretty much where Brym is, except Brym is older, has been with the national team before, and there's no real worry that Colyn is going to get any sort of attraction from the Dutch national team.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

I think there's more context needed than quality of league for Brym vs. Colyn. For one, Brym plays for a senior side, Colyn plays for effectively a U21 team. Jong PSV are only in the same league as Eindhoven because Dutch football only had two professional leagues until like 10 years ago. Save for like one exception every year, the Jong teams are usually pretty bad, and it'll only be this season where they'll face the possibility of relegation, so Jong PSV isn't a team that is in the 2nd tier because they're that good, but because that's just how Dutch football works. To put this into context, Colyn had a strong 5 goals for Jong PSV last year. Leading goal scorer for them, Johan Bakayoko, a full year younger than him had 17. As far as I can tell, he's the only player from last year's team that has actually stuck on with the senior club and plays regularly. FOTMob is a fake rating, whatever, but he was like 8th in that category on the team last year- of the guys above him, 2 are at PSV, 2 are on other first div teams, and the rest are either still at JPSV or out of the system. They have a player with a similar rating to him who scored roughly around the same amount of goals who ended up at Pacos on a free transfer FWIW.

Beyond this, younger players at his same position have gotten bit features at PSV. being that the dutch league is so top heavy, their cup games feature some pretty bad opponents- why hasn't Colyn been called up to even the bench for any of those games? I mean, they're playing the very same 2nd div opponents he faces weekly.

Also, Jong PSV doesn't have anyone over 21. and Colyn is turning 21 in February. All of the above indicates that his future is more likely to *hopefully* sign with a Dutch team or end up in Portugal or Belgium, and at that point, he's pretty much where Brym is, except Brym is older, has been with the national team before, and there's no real worry that Colyn is going to get any sort of attraction from the Dutch national team.

Your first point dissing Dutch 2nd tier makes no sense. 

Jong PSV was, going back a few years, 4th in 2017, fifth in 2018, in a promotion spot, 2nd, in 2019, really low in the table in 2020, mid table in 21 and 22. Twelfth out of 18 right now. So the argument that if there were relegation they would de facto relegate does not hold water. They are a solid Dutch 2nd tier side playing and competing legit vs. other Dutch 2nd tier sides. They are as good as and better than where Brym is most seasons.

Plenty of leagues allow B teams to rise as high as their 2nd tier. Spain does it, right now the only B in 2nd is Villareal's. They have trouble, because obviously 20 year olds playing 2nd tier adults in Spain is much harder than doing so in Netherlands (btw, Tabla did it rather successfuly).

Then Brym is at Eindhoven, the 2nd team in that city, with a stadium that is smaller than most CPL stadiums. Basically, a very weak club. That almost promoted last year, and could relegate as easily or more easily than Jong PSV: in 2017 they were 11th, then in '18, 12th, 2019, 14th, then 13th in 2020, then 15th, then last season, third. True, years earlier they were closer to promotion and could not get over the hump.

Arguing that Colyn was not called into a Cup match, as if that somehow proves something; or that other kids his age have made the first team. Well give it time, don't you think? The coach that played him and liked him last year is the current PSV head coach, a guy who was a good striker in his day (Ruud v Nistelrooy).

Brym is a bad callup because it damages the core principle Herdman is trying to sell and undermines his position regarding the quality of club football you need to make a Canada squad. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Your first point dissing Dutch 2nd tier makes no sense. 

Jong PSV was, going back a few years, 4th in 2017, fifth in 2018, in a promotion spot, 2nd, in 2019, really low in the table in 2020, mid table in 21 and 22. Twelfth out of 18 right now. So the argument that if there were relegation they would de facto relegate does not hold water. They are a solid Dutch 2nd tier side playing and competing legit vs. other Dutch 2nd tier sides. They are as good as and better than where Brym is most seasons.

Plenty of leagues allow B teams to rise as high as their 2nd tier. Spain does it, right now the only B in 2nd is Villareal's. They have trouble, because obviously 20 year olds playing 2nd tier adults in Spain is much harder than doing so in Netherlands (btw, Tabla did it rather successfuly).

Then Brym is at Eindhoven, the 2nd team in that city, with a stadium that is smaller than most CPL stadiums. Basically, a very weak club. That almost promoted last year, and could relegate as easily or more easily than Jong PSV: in 2017 they were 11th, then in '18, 12th, 2019, 14th, then 13th in 2020, then 15th, then last season, third. True, years earlier they were closer to promotion and could not get over the hump.

Arguing that Colyn was not called into a Cup match, as if that somehow proves something; or that other kids his age have made the first team. Well give it time, don't you think? The coach that played him and liked him last year is the current PSV head coach, a guy who was a good striker in his day (Ruud v Nistelrooy).

Brym is a bad callup because it damages the core principle Herdman is trying to sell and undermines his position regarding the quality of club football you need to make a Canada squad. 

The thing is if you are going to call Brym you may as well call Fraser too. We probably actually need another player at that position more