Jonathan David

Vince193

25 minutes ago, costarg said:

I hadn't commented on his play compared to David, since I never watched or followed him with his club.  But I did think he looked really dangerous in those first matches with the USA.  The question of who was better did cross my mind, he's definitely a different type of striker that was on a hot streak at the time.

Team David here.

Yeah for sure, me too actually. The comparison is there for a reason.

For Team David, the trend since NL has been very enjoyable, if not vindicating. And I am sure if the shoe was on the other foot, and Balogun was outscoring David in France, the USMNT supporters would still be declaring him best 9 in the region. 

At the time it really did look like Balogun was going to overtake David, no denying that. He's very talented.

But what I said back then rings true today:

One thing David has that Balogun doesn't have yet sustained success. 

Balogun had struggles at Middlesbrough, which seemed to be brushed off by USA fans, and in light of his 21 goal debut Ligue 1 season, I understood it. Now in season two it's looking increasingly likely his league tally will be single digits, which is a big swing. And this is really his 3rd full season when you think about it, but this is David's 6th season and he's never scored below 13 league goals.

Unfortunately for this region I am sure Balogun will figure it out eventually. Even if he keeps having up and down years he will have a solid career.

Larin is much the same, with seasons at Besiktas (and Valladolid) scoring at a clip of 0.5 goals per game, but then he had a few seasons with 6-7 ish league goals, kind of like Balogun now. 

34 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Lille plays Monaco later today. Looking at the table, if Lille win, they will leapfrog both Monaco and Brest for 2nd in the league. Relatively forgiving schedule for LOSC to end the season as well.

I think too if that happens, PSG win the league.

Or else they have to tie, right now they are playing and still tied.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think too if that happens, PSG win the league.

Or else they have to tie, right now they are playing and still tied.

If my math is correct, if PSG hold on and Lille wins, PSG will win the title. 

I don’t think David has a remote chance at the golden boot, however, maybe PSG start resting Mbappe now that the league is squared up and they are likely to advance to at least the champions league finals + he’s effectively gone already. Maybe David still has a shot at most goals from open play which would be a huge step up for him, considering how many penalties he scored last year.

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

Doesn't appear to be any official TV or streaming in Canada 

If one had a gimmick they could watch it on Fubo TV at Plex TV but that would be highly irregular and morally suspect to counteract the jamming of another country's streaming signals.

For a guy whose name has been given the business here, Balogun's name sure has been mentioned a lot so far in this game.  Should have had a goal already as Lille was playing Keystone Kops in their own box and amazingly weren't scored upon

Lille not looking too good, the bulk of the play is being forced by Monaco (at 26')

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

David could have had a great chance if a teammate had have passed it to him instead of taking a poor angle shot.  David was right in front of the goalie with no one on him.

He looked pissed.

Also, fubo went to commercial before the end of that half. That’s weird. 

3 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Very thin crowd at the stadium. Surprised, these are two big teams and an important match. 

Monaco has habitually poor attendance, and a lot of the fans are not from the Principate, they come from the region. So a weekday doesn't work so well for them. 

I have no idea how having Nice in top flight affects them, if it takes some fans away.

Interesting…I do like Fonseca’s style.  However, Lille were more enjoyable to watch last year and it seems he’s toned down their attacking or pressing style a bit.   They do seem better defensively this season and aren’t giving up cheap late goals as often and are looking good for UCL.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Just leaving this here for no reason

"West Ham consider Julen Lopetegui and Paulo Fonseca as David Moyes' future is mulled over"

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/13121591/west-ham-consider-julen-lopetegui-and-paulo-fonseca-as-david-moyes-future-is-mulled-over

Really, my view on Lopetegui: avoid him. He has a depressing personality, he seems psycho at times. And he used to play for Barça, no problem there, he was a solid keeper. As a manager I think his emotional register is all wrong, never liked him. 

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Really, my view on Lopetegui: avoid him. He has a depressing personality, he seems psycho at times. And he used to play for Barça, no problem there, he was a solid keeper. As a manager I think his emotional register is all wrong, never liked him. 

I am hoping for younger and more attack minded myself. Fonesca was the one I was interested in in that article.