Herdman new head coach

matty

9 hours ago, SpecialK said:

So... the future there is no excuses, there’s no reason why Canada can’t be at the World Cup 2022. On paper we are a top 5 team in CONCACAF and 3 1/2 spots. It’s go time for Herdman and if he fails a lot of people  should be fired ! Why because they gave him everything. 

Everything, yes, except camps and matches, which is the single most important thing needed to qualify for WC2022.  Its been 14 months, meanwhile all of our direct competition have been playing through covid.

Edited by costarg

We've won 11 games we were expected to win. We've lost 2 games we were expected to lose. We overperformed in 1 game, and underperformed in 1 game. Then there was also the loss to Iceland, which I hardly remember even happened. I don't know who was expected to win that game, probably no obvious favourite and it was just a friendly anyways. Outsized rage at the "lack of results".

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Just a little like a used car salesman, always overselling and you come away feeling greasy??  I have gotten that vibe off him from day 1 with the womens program.  

19 hours ago, An Observer said:

If Herdman is a used car salesman, what does that make Bontis? An ice salesman to the Inuit. Herdman has nothing on him.

Re comments by @Bison44 & @An Observer .

Herdman's twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/coachherdman

A normal profile pic. A banner pic of who I assume is his daughter at the beach in BC. All very normal.

------

Nick Bontis' twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/NickBontis

His profile pic is a bit cheesy but fine. However, for his banner pic he actually has 5 more pictures of himself!
Just. Himself. Five. More Times.
5! :D :D :D :D :D 

His own personal website is in both his profile description and his pinned tweet. His pinned tweet also contains a quote.
A quote from none other than...Nick Bontis of course!
"Always hustle!"
:D 

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

6 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Re comments by @Bison44 & @An Observer .

Herdman's twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/coachherdman

A normal profile pic. A banner pic of who I assume is his daughter at the beach in BC. All very normal.

------

Nick Bontis' twitter profile:

https://twitter.com/NickBontis

His profile pic is a bit cheesy but fine. However, for his banner pic he actually has 5 more pictures of himself!
Just. Himself. Five. More Times.
5! :D :D :D :D :D 

His own personal website is in both his profile description and his pinned tweet. His pinned tweet also contains a quote.
A quote from none other than...Nick Bontis of course!
"Always hustle!"
:D 

Excited Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

A preacher selling used cars, priceless!

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Yeah but about 3 years too late. Molinaro should get in and interview Jordan Hamilton, see if he wants to spill the beans on Vanney and player development at TFC.  That prob wouldnt go over to well with the management though.   

I’ll save you the time, Vanney was hired to win , to win now and can’t really blame him, did you forget the joke of a team Vanney inherited? TFC from 2007 to when Vanney took over were a joke , their record was a joke. He had no time for player development he needed players that could win now and win he did . TFC was one of the worst expansion teams ever .  If you were hired to win now playing the kids was never going to be an option. 

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

I’ll save you the time, Vanney was hired to win , to win now and can’t really blame him, did you forget the joke of a team Vanney inherited? TFC from 2007 to when Vanney took over were a joke , their record was a joke. He had no time for player development he needed players that could win now and win he did . TFC was one of the worst expansion teams ever .  If you were hired to win now playing the kids was never going to be an option. 

Jordan Hamilton is going to say this?? I've heard the TFC side of this 1000 times.    

On 4/16/2021 at 3:05 PM, Bison44 said:

Molinaro should get in and interview Jordan Hamilton, see if he wants to spill the beans on Vanney and player development at TFC.  That prob wouldnt go over to well with the management though.   

Hamilton would be a very biased opinion to report on this. Even if he does believe he wasn't given a big enough shot at TFC, he didn't really prove anybody wrong in Columbus. I thought he was good enough to earn that backup role in Columbus, but I was wrong.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

We looked mentally tough in today in Haiti.  Had some rough patches but ground out the road win.  

Others may think differently, but I will give a kudo to the coach.

And some of us may not really enjoy the flavour of koolaid but Davies is fully on board and seemed to suggest that other are as well.   He said Herdman could make them run through a brick wall (or something to that effect).  Sounds like endorsement to me.  

In the end, it doesn’t really matter two what some here think - the players have bought into Herdman’s vision and motivational style.  The brass at the CSA will put a lot more credence in that than the views of a few internet warriors.   We all might as well get comfy with the situation because if Herdman can just navigate the next game I think he will be at the helm for as long as he wants over the next few years.  

Say what you want about the talent he has available compared to previous coaches, but the fact is that Herdman has given this team a mental fortitude they just did not have before. They went into Haiti and played as if it was just another game, kept it very professional, didn't panic at times when other teams would have, sustained the Haitian pressure well, and were willing to return as hard as Haiti gave, all of this while playing away in CONCACAF and playing in a terrible conditions.

All those demoralizing loses against the USA, Mexico, and Haiti last year have clearly only helped to make this group of players come closer; every single one of those failures was an important part of the process and an opportunity to learn something new about the team, and clearly they have learned indeed. If this team makes the final round of qualifying he will be the first manager to do so in 20+ years, and then certain folk here need to back off the man, at least until, if, things start to go south in the Octo. Giving credit where credit is due won't kill ya.

Edited by LeoH037

There's always going to be people who will think the grass is greener on the other side. Everyone has an opinion (some more insightful than others) and we're all entitled to that but I think the anti-Herdman camp really isn't seeing the bigger picture. Obviously Herdman hasn't been perfect, nobody is and very few people even get close, but from a Canada Soccer perspective, he's been a fantastic hire. I really, really don't understand the people who don't see the progress we've made under him, and I wonder if they really do just fail to see the big perspective and instead have the games we lost under a microscope. And fair, it's sports and some people just seem to enjoy complaining more than appreciating the good things, and as Canada fans, we've all gotten pretty good at that, but I sure as hell am enjoying him leading the program and the good things that he has brought to the table are certainly not lost on me.

Haiti starting swinging the momentum significantly around the 60th minute. 

The boss made some formation and tactical adjustments and we killed out the game. Honestly, during that spell I was like "here we go again". Instead it was the complete opposite and we saw the game out. 

Significant props tonight, in a brutal away game. 

The entire team and squad looked incredibly focus and dialed in, with pure focus, through the entire match.  

Final mission of this camp in a few days. Let's do this. 

Edited by apbsmith

22 minutes ago, frmr said:

There's always going to be people who will think the grass is greener on the other side. Everyone has an opinion (some more insightful than others) and we're all entitled to that but I think the anti-Herdman camp really isn't seeing the bigger picture. Obviously Herdman hasn't been perfect, nobody is and very few people even get close, but from a Canada Soccer perspective, he's been a fantastic hire. I really, really don't understand the people who don't see the progress we've made under him, and I wonder if they really do just fail to see the big perspective and instead have the games we lost under a microscope. And fair, it's sports and some people just seem to enjoy complaining more than appreciating the good things, and as Canada fans, we've all gotten pretty good at that, but I sure as hell am enjoying him leading the program and the good things that he has brought to the table are certainly not lost on me.

What progress? We finished top 8 in Concacaf the past 2 cycles, missing out on the Hex by just 1 point each time.  Par for the course so far. We're not lighting concacaf on fire, we're just beating teams we should be beating. I feel like his tenure has been very protected so far.  We've not played our key rivals (Honduras, Jamaica or Panama) under Herdman yet. Why? 

4 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

What progress? We finished top 8 in Concacaf the past 2 cycles, missing out on the Hex by just 1 point each time.  Par for the course so far. We're not lighting concacaf on fire, we're just beating teams we should be beating. I feel like his tenure has been very protected so far.  We've not played our key rivals (Honduras, Jamaica or Panama) under Herdman yet. Why? 

Well because of the pandemic, nations league, gold cup and wcq leaving few games for friendlies. 

2 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Agree!!  Getting to an Ocho is a minimum that we should be doing.  I'm happy with the way things are going but the talent has gone up a bunch since last cycle..of course we should be doing better and getting closer to actually qualifying for WC.  Asuming we make the Ocho and then fizzle out there, then there hasnt really been much real progress eh??  The real hill is still ahead of us.

And i'm not sure how much mental fortitude comes from Herdman.  Cav has slugged it out in MX, David went through a lot to become champs in france, Davies has been though Champions league wars with Bayern.  Our young guys  are reaching higher levels at their clubs, more pressure, more high level experience, they must be bringing some of that to the national team.  

It's been a very unique cycle so far.

Not trying to be dismissive about the importance of the mental side of the game but warm and fuzzy lasts only until it doesn't.  Then it turns into a house of cards unless you've got a broader foundation.  Still not sure Herdman has enough of that.

Points for being brave with some selections, that's looking a profitable investment at this point.  Certainly not a tactical  genius.  Certainly not a bold tactician either but that is the right answer sometimes.

Looks like he's learning.  Wrong job to earn while you learn, however, here we are.

Passing grade.

1 minute ago, king1010 said:

Well because of the pandemic, nations league, gold cup and wcq leaving few games for friendlies. 

Only partly valid. We had all of 2018 and 2019 to play competitive friendlies. Herdman opted to only play the minnows during Nations League qualifying while everyone else was playing a friendly each window. 

In past cycles we have had positive results in the early rounds, and the odd win against our direct competition in friendlies and the Gold Cup. None of this has ever translated to wins in WCQ. As we know, the latter rounds of WCQ are a very different animal. His win against the US shows potential, but Herdman is still very much untested and unproven against the big boys of Concacaf when it really matters. 

1 minute ago, BrennanFan said:

The progress in our mentality, in our ability to get dual nationals, in there being a common vision and direction in our program, in absolutely demolishing teams that we should be beating, in grinding out an important Concacaf away game in WCQ, in our being one very winnable game away from reaching the final round of qualifying. I dunno, take your pick. That's what I'm saying, some people just don't see these things. And that's fine, people will see what they want to see, that's the way life works. For me, hearing what the actual players have to say about him is a dead giveaway of where this program is right now. Has anyone ever said the things that these players say about Herdman in the past about a Canada manager? Did we ever hear players saying they'd run through a wall for Floro? We have some talent coming through now, what is going to allow to us to fulfill the potential that we have is our mentality, our killer instinct and our togetherness, and those are the things that Herdman is drilling into the players. That is a very important part of progress.

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'm not sure about that. I think our talent carried the day

How do you figure? It's not like it was a moment of brilliance from Davies or David that won the game. Davies was pretty much neutralized. You know what did shine through? The fact that he was playing like he was willing to run through a wall... I wonder what inspired him to do that?