Herdman new head coach

matty

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, canadasoccer20 said:

The jab at the association about the US having 10 days more to prepare the post game interview makes me think he is trying to dig his own grave intentionally. Just feel like we might be at the end of the Herdman era. Just my hunch. 

It's either now or never because after the Gold Cup would be your last chance to bring in a new coach in time for a proper lead up to the next World Cup. I don't think Herdman wants to be here anymore 

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

It's either now or never because after the Gold Cup would be your last chance to bring in a new coach in time for a proper lead up to the next World Cup. I don't think Herdman wants to be here anymore 

Quite possible.

But if you want to have prospects you don't tank an international final! It seems that some people here think that. 

Gold Cup will be interesting.

Edited by Vasi

15 minutes ago, Vasi said:

Quite possible.

But if you want to have prospects you don't tank an international final! It seems that some people here think that. 

Gold Cup will be interesting.

I'm not saying he tanked anything. He just didn't seem as front and center as usual and was sliding in digs left and right 

We don't know what kind of conversations have been happening behind closed doors

I also though KJ came out with the knives extra sharp after the game. Basically saying Herdman has totally mishandled Davies the entire time.. amongst other things

I think Herdman has taken the team as far as he can. That being said, he didn’t lie when he said we need more resources.

We have peaked as things stands, with no resources, friendlies, camps and youth teams. This is our ceiling, for a lot of people out there who are older this is ok. There’s a few who aren’t happy, I am one of them. John will likely take the plunge for this, that’s ok because he speaks the truth. We need more to get further. 

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think Herdman has taken the team as far as he can. That being said, he didn’t lie when he said we need more resources.

We have peaked as things stands, with no resources, friendlies, camps and youth teams. This is our ceiling, for a lot of people out there who are older this is ok. There’s a few who aren’t happy, I am one of them. John will likely take the plunge for this, that’s ok because he speaks the truth. We need more to get further. 

Meh,  Herdman speaks his truth maybe but all he does is make excuses.  I’ve never heard him talk about personal accountability.   He was greasing the skids with this prep time excuse before this started and went  right to it after the game.   

First time I can honestly say that I truly question if Herdman’s the right man for the job. He’s right- no camps, no prep time, it does affect the play. Not saying a full camp means we win last night, the players have to actually be good, but how much farther can he take us? How were we going to score last night by just bombing the ball down the right side and making Laryea run after it only to get trapped in the corner? Why is Davies playing like 4 positions?

I don’t think proper coaching wins us the game outright last night but watching the game, it felt like we were running in quicksand last night. 

i guess where I’m at is that there’s no point in sacking Herdman when the money issue isn’t solved, because what’s the next guy gonna do for us? I know he’s no longer available, but if we brought in Ranieri or hell, anyone who’s a suitable next step up- a manager with tangible club or country success- what are they going to do for a team that doesn’t train, doesn’t play, can’t manage to recruit its own players- it’s just not an attractive situation for the type of manager I hope we get post-Herdman. 

I'm not denying the WC results or yesterday's stinkfest, but I don't think it's time to completely give up on the manager yet.

We had a good March window and beat Panama to make it to the Nations League final. That is a great achievement. Of course we want more, but anyone really thinking we were the "Kings of Concacaf" was not being realistic. The U.S. has a ton of young talent.

This just proves we need young players at top-tier European leagues, and we shouldn't be afraid to give those young players a chance. 

Now, if we tank in Gold Cup and Herdman is still in denial land, then it might be time for him to go imo. 

6 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

The prep time thing is a joke.   Yeah sure, it may have an affect on play but Herdman knows our financial situation and he needs to find a way to either overcome those as a coach or find another job.   Excuses are for losers…

Half our roster is MLS based and were never going to be available for a full 10 day camp anyway 

8 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I'm not calling for the end of Herdman, but Thomas Christiansen is a realistic target who has done a great job with Panama.

I admit I missed the Canada Panama game but watching Panama Mexico, I was really impressed with how they move the ball around. I wonder if he's poachable. 

1. The CSA does not have the money to fire JH unless he quits

2. We played poorly vs Panama but our superior talent got us the win. The US, as a team/squad, are on a different talent level. We've known this for a while, but vs Mexico and yesterday, we finally witnessed  the US  playing to their potential. And if they continue  they are miles ahead of any other team in Concacaf.

3. We need to upgrade our CB group/ keeper and add another key midfielder if we have any hope of competing with the US.

37 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

The prep time thing is a joke.   Yeah sure, it may have an affect on play but Herdman knows our financial situation and he needs to find a way to either overcome those as a coach or find another job.   Excuses are for losers…

Unfortunately this isn’t how the real world works.  Talent will leave one organization for another one if they don’t have the resources to do their job properly. 

10 minutes ago, Califax said:

This should be a sexy job but our duct tape budget makes it look like a crudely covered bear trap. 

This.  Stop fooling ourselves. Unless we got a semi-retired experienced coach to do us a favour, or find a young gem, who’s going to take the job?  If the direction of the CSA doesn’t change quickly, we won’t be able to carry the momentum created by this last cycle.

I get it, we can criticize certain elements of Herdman (training / tactics) but it makes no sense to say ‘no excuses’ when there’s a serious funding issue with our program, We, as a fan group, need to focus all our scorn at the CSA… they need to get their sh*t together.

Edited by TOcanadafan

12 minutes ago, Califax said:

This should be a sexy job but our duct tape budget makes it look like a crudely covered bear trap. 

I wonder how much gravitas a new skipper would have to bring to break the system and start cracking skulls. 

Which system and whose skulls are you referring to?

13 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

1. The CSA does not have the money to fire JH unless he quits...

...or they can find a way to claim gross misconduct. Did he not renegotiate not that long ago? The time to get rid of him was when there was all the chatter about him going to New Zealand but Nick Bontis instead talked up the fact he was staying with considerable fanfare from what I remember. Short of him taking a dump on the centre spot live on Onesoccer at the end of one of the Gold Cup games he is not going any time soon basically, which is no doubt why he feels able to be quite vocal about the current state of the CSA. Publicly siding with the players on that isn't necessarily a bad way of maintaining harmony within the group.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

...or they can find a way to claim gross misconduct. Did he not renegotiate not that long ago? The time to get rid of him was when there was all the chatter about him going to New Zealand but Nick Bontis instead talked up the fact he was staying with considerable fanfare from what I remember. Short of him taking a dump on the centre spot live on Onesoccer at the end of one of the Gold Cup games he is not going any time soon basically, which is no doubt why he feels able to be quite vocal about the current state of the CSA. Publicly siding with the players on that isn't necessarily a bad way of maintaining harmony within the group.

There's no just cause to fire him at this point.  IF they wanted to claim that, the time to do it was when word started leaking out.

48 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Unfortunately this isn’t how the real world works.  Talent will leave one organization for another one if they don’t have the resources to do their job properly. 

This.  Stop fooling ourselves. Unless we got a semi-retired experienced coach to do us a favour, or find a young gem, who’s going to take the job?  If the direction of the CSA doesn’t change quickly, we won’t be able to carry the momentum created by this last cycle.

I get it, we can criticize certain elements of Herdman (training / tactics) but it makes no sense to say ‘no excuses’ when there’s a serious funding issue with our program, We, as a fan group, need to focus all our scorn at the CSA… they need to get their sh*t together.

Soccer in this country has found a way to grow inspite of the CSA.  But you have a few posters here who hero worship the CSA because they've read a few twitter posts.  Here's hoping the new direction at the CSA can lead the NT programs to a better future.