General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

New CANMNT twitter page, looks like they’re spinning it off from the main Canada soccer page, if anyone hasn’t followed yet:

https://x.com/canmnt_official/status/1771242617558184048?s=46&t=spIaqlQfufAO3HreB1455Q

First post is a pretty classy presentation by Biello, honouring the guys we have moved on from

Edit: But explaining why we had to.

Edit2 : Post 2 is pretty funny if scarily informative.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just watched the first one. Not convinced with Biello tbh and not sure the players looked that engaged. Reading into absolutely nothing though 

Did Hoilett retweet it with a blue cap yet? 

It was like they died lol. I wonder if they even know they just got retired from the national scene via twitter lol.

"Wait, I thought we were just missing this camp?"

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

It was like they died lol. I wonder if they even know they just got retired from the national scene via twitter lol.

Normally, longer serving guys announce it themselves that they are retiring from international football instead of not getting called up and then having an Academy Awards style "In Memoriam" tribute done for them by the interim coach.  All we needed was Sarah McLachlan singing "I Will Remember You" with an extended power point to top it off.

I, too, am waiting for the blue cap tweet.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Normally, longer serving guys announce it themselves that they are retiring from international football instead of not getting called up and then having an Academy Awards style "In Memoriam" tribute done for them by the interim coach.  All we needed was Sarah McLachlan singing "I Will Remember You" with an extended power point to top it off.

I, too, am waiting for the blue cap tweet.

We will remember. Fondly. 

Especially two months later when our new coach calls Borjan for the Copa and makes him captain again.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Just watched the first one. Not convinced with Biello tbh and not sure the players looked that engaged. Reading into absolutely nothing though 

This is because they’re filming it realistically. People are so accustomed to their Netflix “documentaries” that are filmed like a movie and make everything seem so intense. This is what actual team meetings look like lol.

I don’t think how crucial LDFs development by 2026 is being talked about enough. Having a CB who plays at a very high level in Europe is the missing piece to take the next step for Canada (A new manager too). If LDF can become an elite CB we will be able to comfortably play a back 4, I think you would be comfortable with him. If he continues to develop to what we hope he can be as well as Bombito or Stefanovic stepping up we could be very comfortable at the CB position.

This is my 2026 World Cup (dream) 11 prediction:

Sirois

Johnston LDF Bombito Davies

Ahmed Staq Konè

Buchanan David Millar

I think Sirois could make the jump to Europe  maybe Ligue 1? I assume Davies, Johnston, Staq are playing in basically the exact same situation they are in right now. David and Millar both move up a level. Buchanan and LDF both start getting more consistent minutes at their clubs and Ahmed and Bombito both either take a jump to Europe or become top MLS players.

Will all this happen? Probably not there will probably be people who emerge or fall off but I think above would be the ideal situation that is somewhat realistic. I would find it hard to believe that team couldn’t make it to the knockouts of a World Cup.

12 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

I don’t think how crucial LDFs development by 2026 is being talked about enough. Having a CB who plays at a very high level in Europe is the missing piece to take the next step for Canada (A new manager too). If LDF can become an elite CB we will be able to comfortably play a back 4, I think you would be comfortable with him. If he continues to develop to what we hope he can be as well as Bombito or Stefanovic stepping up we could be very comfortable at the CB position.

Sirois

Ahmed Staq Konè

Buchanan David Millar

I think Sirois could make the jump to Europe  maybe Ligue 1? I assume Davies, Johnston, Staq are playing in basically the exact same situation they are in right now. David and Millar both move up a level. Buchanan and LDF both start getting more consistent minutes at their clubs and Ahmed and Bombito both either take a jump to Europe or become top MLS players.

Will all this happen? Probably not there will probably be people who emerge or fall off but I think above would be the ideal situation that is somewhat realistic. I would find it hard to believe that team couldn’t make it to the knockouts of a World Cup.

I would go Crepeau 

21 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Sirois

Ahmed Staq Konè

Buchanan David Millar

Yeah, setting aside the issue of some weird dual nat grab or unknown kid exploding onto the scene, it seems like having at least 2 of LDF, JKL, Bombito, or Stefanovic making that leap to the next stop will be huge for us.   The only issue re 2026 is their age - Bombito is 23 so will be approaching peak years, but Stefanovic is 17, JKL is 19, and LDF is 18.  That makes 3 of them really, really young to be anchoring a team’s defence at the WC.  By 2030?  Sure.  I suspect we will be solid as hell.   But even if Bombito keeps progressing and one of the prospects steps up, we better hope we have at least one veteran player who can handle it at that level.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

31 minutes ago, Jack1997 said:

Sirois

Ahmed Staq Konè

Buchanan David Millar

Part of why I am hopeful for a new coach soon is to have a fresh set of eyes, without bias, in terms of evaluating our CB's.  If Cornelius, Bombito, LDF and JKL are deemed to be more skilled than old reliable vets like Miller, then I want them given the chance to play and grow together in the lead up to 2026.

Footnote: I was happy that Waterman was given a chance.  After seeing him play confidently with Montreal in the last while, I was a bit surprised that he wasn't more solid back there yesterday.

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, setting aside the issue of some weird dual nat grab or unknown kid exploding onto the scene, it seems like having at least 2 of LDF, JKL, Bombito, or Stefanovic making that leap to the next stop will be huge for us.   The only issue re 2026 is their age - Bombito is 23 so will be approaching peak years, but Stefanovic is 17, JKL is 19, and LDF is 18.  That makes 3 of them really, really young to be anchoring a team’s defence at the WC.  By 2030?  Sure.  I suspect we will be solid as hell.   But even if Bombito keeps progressing and one of the prospects steps up, we better hope we have at least one veteran player who can handle it at that level.  

For me I would want them too because at least that way you have youth within our squad in 2026 but mixed in with experienced veterans...having that perfect mix would work wonders

13 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I guess the other possibility is Tom Holmes at Reading, soon to be Luton, who will be 26 then and hopefully a starter in either the Premiership or Championship.  With the changes to the immigration laws, he may be eligible soon?

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Excuse my inability to put a name to the initials JKL but what player are you referring to? And I agree with your point about their age.

Let's see where the Holmes (and the law) are at next year.  He does have a long history of being a leader at a decent level which we probably lack but honestly, I'm not as worried about centre back as I was. 

Early days this season, but we have 5 MLS starters in the pool, two of which we didn't call up, de Fougerolles and Knight-Lebel playing youth ball at a high level at least.  Edit: Which is forgetting Cornelius, who I think should probably be on the left in a 3.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

On 3/23/2024 at 6:21 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's obvious you have never been involved with running an amateur or youth soccer club, if you believe that last bit.

Every argument you make includes. "It's obvious you dont have any experience". I have a different opinion than you. Yet you get offensive and personal for it. Again, this is one of the many reasons why theres posts every day about not respecting you. 

How many parents have issues with the $6.00 CSA fee (or whatever the number is) AND are willing to both pull their kid from the sport or actually do something about it. Very very very few. 

I know parents have issues with ALL of the fees. When parents have to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars for their kid to play, it make sense they have an issue. But the $6.00 per year is not substantial enough to make a difference. 

You believe that an increase in CSA fees will reduce the number of registrants. 

Answer me this. 
Do you honestly believe that if we reduced that fee to $3.00 per year, we would see a substantial increase of player registrations? Or does it only work in one direction to fit your narrative. 

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Excuse my inability to put a name to the initials JKL but what player are you referring to? And I agree with your point about their age.

Just to further on jamie knight lebel. He was with our u20s before (but has since aged out). He was a younger player and looked it. However, hes taking some significant strides for bristol. He has made his debut in the championship and is a fairly regular bench player. 

He's arguably the walmart version of LDF in terms of prospects. Between the vets, other prospects bombito, ldf, JKL and stefanovic we will have arguably the strongest CB pool we've ever had. 2026 is likely a bit early for JKL stefanovic and maybe LDF but by 2030 we will be stocked. 

22 hours ago, Bigandy said:

Just to further on jamie knight lebel. He was with our u20s before (but has since aged out). He was a younger player and looked it. However, hes taking some significant strides for bristol. He has made his debut in the championship and is a fairly regular bench player. 

He's arguably the walmart version of LDF in terms of prospects. Between the vets, other prospects bombito, ldf, JKL and stefanovic we will have arguably the strongest CB pool we've ever had. 2026 is likely a bit early for JKL stefanovic and maybe LDF but by 2030 we will be stocked. 

I must be getting old (I am😁) but the 2030 W/C seems SOO far away for me right now.

On 3/25/2024 at 5:58 AM, narduch said:

Not for anything but I think I'd still rather take any one of the interchangeable MLS guys over a League One player. Just because he's owned by a Prem team is irrelevant 

Even if you believe League One is his current level (I see him more as a Champo level guy), I would go with Holmes on the basis he's a few years younger. He's in the same age cohort as Bombito and Pos is a 98, I believe.