General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Financial experts can help me out but my big takes

- we are losing 4m in 2024 on 30m expenditures which is not sustainable

- member  fees will be raised as one way to combat that

Interesting that the USSF is in debt too but they don't have a bunch of losers with agendas crying about it 

27 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Their cash reserves are much much higher and let’s be honest commercially they can easily get more money injected and find bigger better sponsors.

They also have been gifted with a shitload of enforced home matches from official tournaments where they can make money. Unlike us, who don’t have a home game yet scheduled (at least for the men) for 2024. 

I like what I am seeing from this guy so far but I hope his commercial solutions include finding a way to have Canada play at home and make money here while doing so. We ought to get at least one pre-Copa home friendly in place given our proximity to where the tournament is being held.

Edited by Gian-Luca

23 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I like what I am seeing from this guy so far but I hope his commercial solutions include finding a way to have Canada play at home and make money here while doing so. We ought to get at least one pre-Copa home friendly in place given our proximity to where the tournament is being held.

That strikes me as probably unrealistic, based on what we know of the financial dynamics of international soccer friendlies.

47 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Rick Westhead reading that press release like....

Walking In Vince Mcmahon GIF by WWE

🤣 Expect another Rick smackdown in a few hours. 

Edited by Vasi

23 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just shows you the power of packaging a message. Bontis said essentially the same things but was an unlikeable character who people didn’t trust. 

True but coming out a being open about bad news is much more appreciated than the way it has been handled in the past.

That's good news in itself. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

36 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Just shows you the power of packaging a message. Bontis said essentially the same things but was an unlikeable character who people didn’t trust. 

It's a good way to control the messaging instead of allowing to endlessly drip, drip via people who have other motives. Being this transparent was not in the DNA of previous CSA leaders or basically any other Canadian NSO. 

It also cuts off some of Westhead's reporting since some of it was simply based on pre-emptive leaks. It also adds context that was often missing in his articles since he was largely oblivious about the sport's business dynamics in Canada and globally.

We can't  ever aspire to be like the USSF in terms of revenues, but Australia generated  a surplus of approx $700K on expenses of $112M in 2023, meaning revenue was approx $113M.  2024 CSA projections indicate revenues of approx $26M, 4M deficit on 30M expenses 😔. It's clear we have to increase revenues. Cost cutting isn't going to solve it. Don't think 2023 CSA Financials have been released yet.

55 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Bonits had an arrogance to him. People hate that, regardless when it's regarding bad news. 

He didn't sugar coat shit, and people love sugar coatings. 

Having been fortunate to have spent a good 10 mins speaking to the new GS in Frisco, I will say that I was impressed with his willingness to engage with supporters and be frank about the challenges both on and off the pitch.  Let’s see what happens in the next 12-24 months but I am optimistic if for nothing else, being out front on these issues.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Patting himself on the back.

And his buddy from TSN chimes in. Typical discourse around the game in this country; people want programs handed to them and finding funding for it is someone else's problem. More than willing to take one of the few media jobs available in this country though...

Edited by shermanator

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

And his buddy from TSN chimes in. Typical discourse around the game in this country; people want programs handed to them and finding funding for it is someone else's problem. More than willing to take one of the few media jobs available in this country though...

Hey. Maybe their employer could have paid the CSA for broadcast rights. That could have been a revenue stream....

1 minute ago, shermanator said:

Euro culture Vs NA…

If this was hockey Canada it wouldn’t be a problem.

TFC MTL and any professional for profit team shouldn’t be charging kids to play in their academy. But grassroots level sorry.

I agree the MLS could easily pay 100k for sanctioning or more every year, CPL teams might be a bit steep right now but they should contribute. 

Home games would be great but take the team to places other than Vancouver and Toronto.

Looking at the fee schedule online, there are certainly some fees that could easily be increased and appear to have been the same for some time. For example, the MLS clubs only pay $30k per year to the CSA for sanctioning. 

To hear Kilbane imply that the CSA is charging parents a fortune is laughable. The registration fee to the CSA is a drop in the bucket of the cost of playing soccer.  He probably couldn’t even guess what it is. 

31 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Euro culture Vs NA…

People don't seem to grasp that you can't just copy/paste what works elsewhere in the world in Canada and have the game magically take off here. I can't count the number of times I've had people tell me how we should be supporting our club in the stands to be just like Europe or South America or Central America, while they themselves are nowhere to be found on game days.

Edited by shermanator

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

We can't  ever aspire to be like the USSF in terms of revenues, but Australia generated  a surplus of approx $700K on expenses of $112M in 2023, meaning revenue was approx $113M.  2024 CSA projections indicate revenues of approx $26M, 4M deficit on 30M expenses 😔. It's clear we have to increase revenues. Cost cutting isn't going to solve it. Don't think 2023 CSA Financials have been released yet.

Last year's Football Australia numbers were boosted by hosting WWC. When Canada hosted in 2015, Canada Soccer had it's biggest revenue year of $106m.

But Football Australia has longer term structural advantages. They're in a much more sports mad country. So, they get at least 2x more in financial backing from government, sponsors and media.

Their women’s team is viewed as the most valuable sporting brand in Australia. They have sold out 14 matches straight averaging 50k+ while Canada women largely only sold out smallish CPL stadiums post Gold medal win. Their Nike deal includes upfront payments as they sell much more jerseys than Canada. And Nike has viewed Kerr as a much bigger star than Sinclair. At the end of their current Nike deal, they will have been with Football Australia for over 3 decades.

They also charge over $4 more than Canada Soccer for youth player registration fees. For adults, it is $25 more. So, last year, they made 2x in player fee revenues than Canada Soccer.