General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

I think that both India & China’s soccer federations have similar issues as Canada’s and they probably wouldn’t want to pay all this money to travel to Canada and get destroyed in front of a massive crowd.  Both countries have tried to build leagues with a lot of financial backing, and neither worked. While I’m sure that Canada has enough Indian and Chinese people who would come out and support their teams if they play here, India is very much a cricket country, and China is more about Basketball, Tennis, Ping Pong, other individual/Olympic sports. Soccer is massive in both countries, but I doubt either would see friendlies in Canada as something that would help their federations out, and if they did, they’d have probably organized something in the US by now. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

...and China is more about Basketball, Tennis, Ping Pong, other individual/Olympic sports...

Not what I've been told any time I've been there. Soccer is the top sport even if they are not very good at it. The superleague they have isn't that bad either. You are talking it down too much.

3 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Yup , like I said their is money to be made if I had the money and was a rich guy I would get into it and make club or national team games happen like this . Come to think about it imagine a Pacific or a Vancouver CPL or a York United CPL game against one of these Indian Clubs now that you mentioned it . 

I'd love this but the logistics of this would likely be the biggest feat ever for york. If they sell out, they make 4000 seats X $50 = $200,000. Thats hardly enough to cover the flights, food, hotels of the Indian club. Not to mention the fee to pay them to come play. 

You could rent a larger stadium but what are the odds that the increase in seats makes enough to cover the stadium rental. 

Theres certainly revenue to be made but at first glance, the costs seem to make this idea prohibitive. 

In Concacaf national team news, El Salvador is hosting Inter Miami today.  National team vs Club team.  

Not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this, but it would have been something if Miami trekked out to BC place for a similar game. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/what-you-should-know-as-messi-inter-miami-kick-off-preseason-tour-in-el-salvador-on-friday/ar-AA1nc4en

7 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

In Concacaf national team news, El Salvador is hosting Inter Miami today.  National team vs Club team.  

Not sure if this is the most appropriate thread for this, but it would have been something if Miami trekked out to BC place for a similar game. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/soccer/what-you-should-know-as-messi-inter-miami-kick-off-preseason-tour-in-el-salvador-on-friday/ar-AA1nc4en

Maybe PSG against CANMNT in Montreal as a preseason friendly? Doubt PSG would play at the Big O, so probably wouldn’t work, but similar effect to El Salvador playing Miami. 

13 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

You gotta be kidding me.  Like you say, if this is true, wtf is going on there?  Things must be worse than we imagined.

Edit: OK so maybe and hopefully it really was "personal reasons" - but gotta say, this doesn't sound good.

Edited by costarg

Given the state of affairs with the CMNT and CSA, it is too easy to focus on the negative... poor recent results, choking in Copa qualifying, players strike, no friendlies, no head coach for what seems like forever, GS resigning on first day, no broadcast partner, etc. 

Maybe time to focus on the positive? Um... 10 nearly new bespoke suits. Anything else? 

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

Given the state of affairs with the CMNT and CSA, it is too easy to focus on the negative... poor recent results, choking in Copa qualifying, players strike, no friendlies, no head coach for what seems like forever, GS resigning on first day, no broadcast partner, etc. 

Maybe time to focus on the positive? Um... 10 nearly new bespoke suits. Anything else? 

I feel like this didn't quite maintain an entirely positive tone. 

1 minute ago, kacbru said:

We know that CSA can produce an awesome docuseries like they did for WC Qualifying. I know there's no qualifying for us for 2026, but a behind the scenes series building up to it and maybe even during the WC would be awesome. The first one was as good as any of the All or Nothing series on Amazon IMO.

Does the CSA receive any direct federal dollars toward its operation? It seems that Hockey Canada receives a lot. This reporting is part of CBC coverage of the recent alleged sexual assault case as being investigated by the London, ON police department

"CBC News reported last month that the government was considering restoring funding to the organization. Hockey Canada received $7.7 million from Sport Canada — a department of Heritage Canada — in the 2022 fiscal year but its funding has been frozen for 10 months. Sport Canada's funding comprises about seven per cent of overall revenue, according to government statistics.

4 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Does the CSA receive any direct federal dollars toward its operation? It seems that Hockey Canada receives a lot. This reporting is part of CBC coverage of the recent alleged sexual assault case as being investigated by the London, ON police department

For Canada Soccer, it was just over $5 million in 2022 or about 10.6% of revenue. It's listed as government grants. So, not clear if any monies from Own the Podium are included. 

My prediction for how things will shape up this year against TnT and the Copa America:

---------David--Larin      
---------Cav                

Phonz---Staq---Kone---Tajon
Millar----Oso----Choin--Corbeanu
---------Fraser--Saliba        

Sam --Kamal----Vitoria---Johnston
-------Corny----XXXXX---Laryea

------------Crepeau
------------Borjan
------------St. Clair

Missing Out

F: Ugbo, Brym, Rowe, Bair

M: Hoilett, Kaye, Piette, Ahmed, Loturi, Paton

D : That last spot is up for grabs, Kennedy, LDF, McNaughton, McGraw, Waterman, Didic, Zator, Bombito, someone needs to step up, ideally a right footer.  

K: McGill, Breza

This summer will surely be Vitoria and Borjan's swansong.  The captaincy will be up for grabs once they're gone.  Sad to leave Hoilett out but we need to look to the next generation at some point.  I'm predicting Fraser will have a good year with regular minutes, but that spot really is up for grabs as well.  

54 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

My prediction for how things will shape up this year against TnT and the Copa America:

---------David--Larin      
---------Cav                

Phonz---Staq---Kone---Tajon
Millar----Oso----Choin--Corbeanu
---------Fraser--Saliba        

Sam --Kamal----Vitoria---Johnston
-------Corny----XXXXX---Laryea

------------Crepeau
------------Borjan
------------St. Clair

Missing Out

F: Ugbo, Brym, Rowe, Bair

M: Hoilett, Kaye, Piette, Ahmed, Loturi, Paton

D : That last spot is up for grabs, Kennedy, LDF, McNaughton, McGraw, Waterman, Didic, Zator, Bombito, someone needs to step up, ideally a right footer.  

K: McGill, Breza

This summer will surely be Vitoria and Borjan's swansong.  The captaincy will be up for grabs once they're gone.  Sad to leave Hoilett out but we need to look to the next generation at some point.  I'm predicting Fraser will have a good year with regular minutes, but that spot really is up for grabs as well.  

Interesting. Where might Sirois fit in?

1 hour ago, shorty said:

I meant Adekugbe. Though maybe your expectation of Piette being called up was unrelated to my comment. Just for clarification. 

I was looking at the earlier posted list and it had Piette as missing out, sorry for the confusion.

Edited by BearcatSA