General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

1 hour ago, red card said:

Last year's Football Australia numbers were boosted by hosting WWC. When Canada hosted in 2015, Canada Soccer had it's biggest revenue year of $106m.

But Football Australia has longer term structural advantages. They're in a much more sports mad country. So, they get at least 2x more in financial backing from government, sponsors and media.

Their women’s team is viewed as the most valuable sporting brand in Australia. They have sold out 14 matches straight averaging 50k+ while Canada women largely only sold out smallish CPL stadiums post Gold medal win. Their Nike deal includes upfront payments as they sell much more jerseys than Canada. And Nike has viewed Kerr as a much bigger star than Sinclair. At the end of their current Nike deal, they will have been with Football Australia for over 3 decades.

They also charge over $4 more than Canada Soccer for youth player registration fees. For adults, it is $25 more. So, last year, they made 2x in player fee revenues than Canada Soccer. 

Good point. I forgot about the 2023 WWC in Australia.  It's unfortunate that info wasn't part of the communication release, as it distorts any comparison btw the 2 FAs for 23/24.

7 hours ago, red card said:

They also charge over $4 more than Canada Soccer for youth player registration fees. For adults, it is $25 more. So, last year, they made 2x in player fee revenues than Canada Soccer. 

Disgrace!

8 hours ago, Shway said:

Bonits had an arrogance to him. People hate that, regardless when it's regarding bad news. 

He didn't sugar coat shit, and people love sugar coatings. 

He also just threw his hands up and said nothing we can do, might as well go buy some suits. Blue is saying it and saying what they'll try to do.

1 hour ago, Mattd97 said:

He also just threw his hands up and said nothing we can do, might as well go buy some suits. Blue is saying it and saying what they'll try to do.

Bontis had the same solution of taxing the provincial associations...I think if Blue came in during the time Bontis did we might not see much difference...the same we are now. 

There's no way we can think that he got the Netherlands friendly...right? 

I'm no longer formally involved with my club here, since I've retired from playing and don't sit on the committee anymore. However, if anybody wants to get a full breakdown of the Football Victoria/Football Australia fees for each player category, I can get it. The club Secretary and Treasurer are still two of my closest mates. Our club has players registered in every age category, from juniors to seniors.

On 3/31/2024 at 3:53 AM, Shway said:

Bontis had the same solution of taxing the provincial associations...I think if Blue came in during the time Bontis did we might not see much difference...the same we are now. 

There's no way we can think that he got the Netherlands friendly...right? 

Our current situation, without a board or president voted in through the system where the provincial SAs have the most votes, weakens the CSAs position.

Usually, a candidate garners votes from a few provinces to win the election, and with that comes the complicity to be able to raise fees for players, but in a way that is reasonable and won't cause a backlash. I don't know how Bontis blew it, because he was voted in by provincial SAs, then seemed to have lost their trust. He lost his own voting block and then, at a critical moment, they rebelled against his attempt to solve the CSA's financials with what you are saying, that fee raise (taxes you call it). 

Any new candidate coming in would have a fee increase on the agenda, but always mitigated by other things the CSA is set to offer provincial associations. A full policy package, and then, usually, the voting block stays with the new president and his or her board.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

image.png.dbcb439c3c5768226bbda4a06193be3f.pngSomeone on Reddit posted this picture of FC Kaiserslautern, or as it appears- bizarro CANMNT. We got Liam Fraser on Davies’ back, with Liam Millar behind them and Borjan on the right. 

I definitely saw Davies and Fraser as well.

Not sure about Millar though....maybe if Millar and Piette had a baby?

Borjan is fair though. Totally looks like a Canada Soccer crest on his pants as well.....just too bad they aren't Sweats.

Not sure where to put this, Panama will play a friendly vs Catalonia here late May, in the lead up to the Copa. 

Then Panama will go to Galicia to play them, just before the official international window but just after the European season.

Canada has never considered this but friendlies vs Catalonia or the Basque Country would be good challenges, we'd get all expenses and a fee, not Fifa official but useful for prep when finding a friendly might be hard.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

23 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not sure where to put this, Panama will play a friendly vs Catalonia here late May, in the lead up to the Copa. 

Then Panama will go to Galicia to play them, just before the official international window but just after the European season.

Canada has never considered this but friendlies vs Catalonia or the Basque Country would be good challenges, we'd get all expenses and a fee, not Fifa official but useful for prep when finding a friendly might be hard.

I don't think Canada could play teams like Catalonia or Basque Country because of Quebec.

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

I don't think Canada could play teams like Catalonia or Basque Country because of Quebec.

I always thought it might be a reticence, that somehow it could be a factor. But it could be seen as a lost opportunity, because you have a bit of flexibility. For example, Panama is playing the last week of May, just outside the FIFA window, you have more flexibility. 

If you look at historical rivals, I have seen Brazil, Argentina, Bulgaria, Paraguay, a lot of different countries play Catalonia. Uruguay just went to play the Basques last week. And then, in fact, in Spain the regions have had teams for more than a century and they play regularly. Including regions that do not claim independence, like Canary Islands, Andalusia. 

The advantages are: you have a host that is thrilled to have you; they play hard but its a friendly; the quality of the rival will be strong; they pay all expenses and a fee, as you are helping the regional FA as it promotes its activity. 

There was talk of playing a match in homage to Bojan Krkic, who is from Lleida province, and who also played in Canada. It was cancelled last minute vs. Mali last summer; we would have been a good rival. 

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I always thought it might be a reticence, that somehow it could be a factor. But it could be seen as a lost opportunity, because you have a bit of flexibility. For example, Panama is playing the last week of May, just outside the FIFA window, you have more flexibility. 

If you look at historical rivals, I have seen Brazil, Argentina, Bulgaria, Paraguay, a lot of different countries play Catalonia. Uruguay just went to play the Basques last week. And then, in fact, in Spain the regions have had teams for more than a century and they play regularly. Including regions that do not claim independence, like Canary Islands, Andalusia. 

The advantages are: you have a host that is thrilled to have you; they play hard but its a friendly; the quality of the rival will be strong; they pay all expenses and a fee, as you are helping the regional FA as it promotes its activity. 

There was talk of playing a match in homage to Bojan Krkic, who is from Lleida province, and who also played in Canada. It was cancelled last minute vs. Mali last summer; we would have been a good rival. 

I don’t think playing Catalonia or Basque Country would cause an “uproar” like when we nearly played Iran, but I think the government would likely step in and point out that Canada doesn’t acknowledge separatist movements considering our (albeit dying) own one. With the quality of opponents we seem to be getting now, I’m not sure playing regional (whatever the respectable term for those places would be) would make sense.

Now, if we want to dream, I’d love to see a team Quebec play Catalonia. Captain Piette, Kone, Bombito, Vilsaint, Saliba, so on- that would be such a great match. Canada would never allow it and we’d get smoked if we did, but what a fun game.

Does Catalonia allow players from Mallorca/Minorca and of Catalan descent as well or just players born in Catalonia? I assume the rules are more lax given they’re not fifa members, but i know Athletic Club is pretty strict on who plays for them. 

4 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

It would not be a dream it would be a nightmare. I would not give the separatists the pleasure to dream. They already dream too much.

Brother embrace our shared heritage as part of the proudest people in all of Canada. The few, the strong, the Quebeckers.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Brother embrace our shared heritage as part of the proudest people in all of Canada. The few, the strong, the Quebeckers.

Brother I do embrace our shared heritage, it's the separatists that do not.

7 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I'm afraid to ask you who you voted for.😁

With my anglophone name, I’m kinda between a rock and a hard place when it comes to our provincial elections. I’m bilingual with both English and French (from Ontario, funny enough) parents, but I’ve always been of the mindset that we’ve been here as long as they have, let’s not let the pure laine nationalists be the only ones who get to claim this province as their home. Province belongs to us too. 

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Now, if we want to dream, I’d love to see a team Quebec play Catalonia. Captain Piette, Kone, Bombito, Vilsaint, Saliba, so on- that would be such a great match. Canada would never allow it and we’d get smoked if we did, but what a fun game.

Does Catalonia allow players from Mallorca/Minorca and of Catalan descent as well or just players born in Catalonia? I assume the rules are more lax given they’re not fifa members, but i know Athletic Club is pretty strict on who plays for them. 

Even under the Franco regime, the regions of Spain organised friendlies and played, including sovereign nations. Anyways, I don't think the CSA can block a provincial SA from organizing a team of selects to play a friendly, there is no grounds for it in a federated system. The only issue is for the player to agree and their club to not block it (which could happen).

I don't care about any of that, though, I am more interested in how hard it seems for Canada to get friendlies. This becomes a legitimate alternative. Uruguay sent mostly European-based players to the Basque Country this last international window, it was very convenient. The Basque Country sold almost all of San Mamés, income for their federation, Uruguay got paid for a friendly that was useful for the players. 

As for your question about who plays, it is flexible, as you suggest. There is no strict eligibility and no one is controlling it. I think Iniesta once played, Pedro (Rodriguez) who is from Canary Islands, Cruyff did as well. 

Canada vs. Catalonia, or the Basque Country-- it'd be fairly evenly matched. We'd make money, and the arrangement would be flexible. Why not?

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even under the Franco regime, the regions of Spain organised friendlies and played, including sovereign nations. Anyways, I don't think the CSA can block a provincial SA from organizing a team of selects to play a friendly, there is no grounds for it in a federated system. The only issue is for the player to agree and their club to not block it (which could happen).

I don't care about any of that, though, I am more interested in how hard it seems for Canada to get friendlies. This becomes a legitimate alternative. Uruguay sent mostly European-based players to the Basque Country this last international window, it was very convenient. The Basque Country sold almost all of San Mamés, income for their federation, Uruguay got paid for a friendly that was useful for the players. 

As for your question about who plays, it is flexible, as you suggest. There is no strict eligibility and no one is controlling it. I think Iniesta once played, Pedro (Rodriguez) who is from Canary Islands, Cruyff did as well. 

Canada vs. Catalonia, or the Basque Country-- it'd be fairly evenly matched. We'd make money, and the arrangement would be flexible. Why not?

Not too different from the Maori allblacks.