General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

3-5-2 with Millar as LM?

That's what he's playing and wingback is presumably what Tajon is training as, in one of the most successful and consitent 352 setups in the world. 

I make another call to try Laryea back in the centre. 

Now, about those centre backs...

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

• 3 weeks later...

From Sharman in the Star, a few tidbits:

General Secretary: Some power brokers at the European club level have shown interest in the general secretary job at Canada Soccer.  It is seen as a doorway to the North American sports market.

Manager: Sources have confirmed some players have campaigned for the Forge man to be given the job.

Noonan on Pro/Rel: As a fan, I love pro/rel — the traditions, the drama, the engagement, accountability of ownership, etc. As an employee serving at the pleasure of my board of directors responsible for driving enterprise value, I love a closed system. There is a reason why MLS valuations are so high.

We are keeping all options open at this stage in our nascent development with a firm eye on sustainably building the sport in Canada for the long term.

Could promotion and relegation soccer system work in Canada? (thestar.com)

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, phresh said:

I've noticed the Canada Soccer player pages now include detailed stats, goals, assists, games started, cards, minutes played, even match by match game logs, and this goes from senior all the way down to u15's. Has this always been the case?

I dunno but the fact that Canada Soccer is too lazy/inept to spend a few hours on Photoshop to knock out the different shades of off-white from the players' photos is beyond bush league. It's little things like that that would be obvious to most organizations, that ours just can't seem to quite figure out.

16 minutes ago, frmr said:

I dunno but the fact that Canada Soccer is too lazy/inept to spend a few hours on Photoshop to knock out the different shades of off-white from the players' photos is beyond bush league. It's little things like that that would be obvious to most organizations, that ours just can't seem to quite figure out.

imagine the CSA trying to broadcast in-house. They clearly dont have the skills to produce any sort of ad's, graphics, marketing etc. 

14 minutes ago, frmr said:

To me, it really is not that big a deal and is barely noticeable. What matters is the pages seem to be better organized and now offer consolidated data, which can be hard to find for many Canadian players

7 minutes ago, phresh said:

To me, it really is not that big a deal and is barely noticeable. What matters is the pages seem to be better organized and now offer consolidated data, which can be hard to find for many Canadian players

It's just a symptom of cutting corners and being unprofessional. Something like this should never pass proper QA. It's takes minutes to knock out a background of a photo. Some of those photos look like mugshots taken in a dark room. It just reflects poorly on the organization and team. I get that at the end of the day it's not a big deal, but it just shows how Canada Soccer doesn't ever really get it totally right. I've got half a mind to download the images, fix them and send them back to Canada Soccer.

But yes, the stats are nice.

Edited by frmr

42 minutes ago, frmr said:

That reminds of a Simpsons moment:

f0acad7ff31aa27def8a83939e77bd8332138f50516164923304cc1271d4c680.png

The U17 World Cup is becoming annual. 

As part of the governing body’s steadfast commitment to youth football and following the decision to expand the FIFA U-17 World Cup™ to 48 teams and hold it annually rather than biennially, it was confirmed that the next five editions of the competition, starting in 2025, will take place in Qatar.

Edited by narduch

There may be reasons why this is bad but I like the idea.  Kids can miss out on amazing sports opportunities just as a byproduct of age categories and competition cycles.  It is one of my biggest criticisms of the Canada Games.  I know hosting it every 4 years helps contain the costs of a non-money-making, but for some really talented kids it is a practical impossibility because their age simply doesn’t line up with the cut-offs for that specific cycle.  It is less of an issue for biennial competitions but it would still happen where some talented players in the younger part of the cohort would be less likely to make it simply as a function of age.  With the Olympics it works because everyone has at least a couple of full cycles where their birth date isn’t a barrier to participation.  That simply isn’t the case with non-annual age-defined events.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

There may be reasons why this is bad but I like the idea.  Kids can miss out on amazing sports opportunities just as a byproduct of age categories and competition cycles.  It is one of my biggest criticisms of the Canada Games.  I know hosting it every 4 years helps contain the costs of a non-money-making, but for some really talented kids it is a practical impossibility because their age simply doesn’t line up with the cut-offs for that specific cycle.  It is less of an issue for biennial competitions but it would still happen where some talented players in the younger part of the cohort would be less likely to make it simply as a function of age.  With the Olympics it works because everyone has at least a couple of full cycles where their birth date isn’t a barrier to participation.  That simply isn’t the case with non-annual age-defined events.

Things brings up some old wounds. Here's a personal story:

Back in the day, the NLSA technical director was a Serbian guy, former pro named Dragan Mirkovic, who played in Croatia. This being the early 2000s, he was like the crown jewel of the Newfoundland soccer scene. There were exactly zero people in the province with that kind of background in those days. Everyone was amazed by how good that guy was. 

Anyway, after our U15 year, we found out that we were going to be the next Canada games generation, and word on the street was that Dragan was going to be our coach. He was even going to take us to Europe to play some warm up games, or play in some tournament or whatever. Such a thing was unheard of back then. You were lucky if you got to play warm up games on the mainland. 

As it turned out, they switched the years for some reason, so the next generation to play Canada games was not us, it became the generation two years behind us, or something like that. Basically we got the shaft. We never got the chance to be coached by Dragan in the end, nor play in Canada Games, which obviously meant no European soccer trip as well. I was more bummed out about that than Canada Games itself.

So yeah, count me amongst those who fell victim to the stupid 4 year Canada games cycle.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:10 AM, frmr said:

well, you should fix it once for them, for free.  it might turn into a gig, for you or for someone else with the necessary talents.

On 3/12/2024 at 10:38 AM, frmr said:

It's just a symptom of cutting corners and being unprofessional. Something like this should never pass proper QA. It's takes minutes to knock out a background of a photo. Some of those photos look like mugshots taken in a dark room. It just reflects poorly on the organization and team. I get that at the end of the day it's not a big deal, but it just shows how Canada Soccer doesn't ever really get it totally right. I've got half a mind to download the images, fix them and send them back to Canada Soccer.

But yes, the stats are nice.

this was my honest response, before I see that you made the suggestion yourself!  just do it...you have some expertise, they apparently do not, its apparently a simple thing, why not.  offer them a nominal contract/fee to use your images so they don't get freaked out by liability, and boom, you're Photoshopping for the Canada Soccer org!

Edited by eramosat

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Ya. Fifa isn't doing this to make money. Although they probably did get more kick backs from Qatar. I doubt the U17 World Cup is a money maker.

This is good for us as it forces us to have camps at this level every year. 

Will be interesting to see if Concacaf changes the qualifying process with maybe 6-8 teams qualifying now

Edited by narduch

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is food for us as it forces us to have camps at this level every year. 

Exactly what we need and less chance of young talent slipping through the gaps or not being assessed at an early stage. The fact that players like Tajon and many others never repped our youth teams says it all. Larin only played for the U20s after he was capped at the senior level.