General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

11 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Exactly what we need and less chance of young talent slipping through the gaps or not being assessed at an early stage. The fact that players like Tajon and many others never repped our youth teams says it all. Larin only played for the U20s after he was capped at the senior level. 

Yup. The US are running a U23 camp this window (to prep for the Olympics). 

Imagine if we also had youth camps this window?

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

Things brings up some old wounds. Here's a personal story:

Back in the day, the NLSA technical director was a Serbian guy, former pro named Dragan Mirkovic, who played in Croatia. This being the early 2000s, he was like the crown jewel of the Newfoundland soccer scene. There were exactly zero people in the province with that kind of background in those days. Everyone was amazed by how good that guy was. 

Anyway, after our U15 year, we found out that we were going to be the next Canada games generation, and word on the street was that Dragan was going to be our coach. He was even going to take us to Europe to play some warm up games, or play in some tournament or whatever. Such a thing was unheard of back then. You were lucky if you got to play warm up games on the mainland. 

As it turned out, they switched the years for some reason, so the next generation to play Canada games was not us, it became the generation two years behind us, or something like that. Basically we got the shaft. We never got the chance to be coached by Dragan in the end, nor play in Canada Games, which obviously meant no European soccer trip as well. I was more bummed out about that than Canada Games itself.

So yeah, count me amongst those who fell victim to the stupid 4 year Canada games cycle.

Yeah, that sucks man.   Real-world example of how the cycle just eliminates certain cohorts.  My oldest guy would have had a solid chance of making the provincial volleyball team but the ages just didn’t line up.  It is definitely unfair for some kids   And it isn’t about some essential developmental opportunity for most athletes   For tons and tons of kids just getting to go to the games is the pinnacle.   It is their Olympics so the speak.

Like I said, I know the cost issue is probably the main driver.  I worked closely with the guy who was one of the leads for PEI’s recent host duties and it is a logistical challenge.  But insofar as it is a youth tournament for kids right across the country, I really wish we had the resources (or at least political will) to  hold it more frequently.  

Senra says Canada Soccer Originals will start with an On Guard series in partnership with long-time partners Offside via Youtube. 

Longform content on Youtube allows it to be monteized via partners. They're also having conversations right now with entities that will enable more global reach.

They’re also going to revamp social media channels, including distinct accounts and brand voices for men’s team content, women’s team content, and corporate content.

Principle moving forward is to entertain first and inform second. They're going to look for blue waters which is if nobody else is around you from a marketing perspective, a content perspective. Canada Soccer was kind of fighting in the red waters, where there’s a lot of blood in the water because everyone’s doing the same thing.

4 hours ago, red card said:

Senra says Canada Soccer Originals will start with an On Guard series in partnership with long-time partners Offside via Youtube. 

Longform content on Youtube allows it to be monteized via partners. They're also having conversations right now with entities that will enable more global reach.

They’re also going to revamp social media channels, including distinct accounts and brand voices for men’s team content, women’s team content, and corporate content.

Principle moving forward is to entertain first and inform second. They're going to look for blue waters which is if nobody else is around you from a marketing perspective, a content perspective. Canada Soccer was kind of fighting in the red waters, where there’s a lot of blood in the water because everyone’s doing the same thing.

I am very familiar with all of those words but I don’t know what you just said.  

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

So is St. Clair starting?

Thats the one that jumps out.  I guess LDF getting #3 as well. Personal choice plays a role given Davies and Buchanan’s numbers but you can’t really deny that the lower numbers have generally been assigned to the mainstays and the higher numbers assigned to guys a bit further down the list.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Thats the one that jumps out.  I guess LDF getting #3 as well. Personal choice plays a role given Davies and Buchanan’s numbers but you can’t really deny that the lower numbers have generally been assigned to the mainstays and the higher numbers assigned to guys a bit further down the list.  

Just checked and Crepeau does wear 16 for Portland too.

So it probably has more to do with his preference