General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't think he plays unless it's basically over. Like if we are winning 4-0

He’s gotta play one of these days. If not this weekend, it won’t be at Copa, then we’re talking about a full year of call ups without a single minute. Hopefully they save a sub for him. 

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

23 for the birthdate of his daughter Reina...

Dare we ask if the name has any football-related meaning?

It's a nice name, must say, not conventional at all but not at all odd.

I have a good friend in New York, who lived in Barcelona in the 90s, and called his son, born about 2001, Pep. After Guardiola of course, when he was still a player. Which at that time in the US only mean "energy" or "lively spirit", as in a pep talk. Cool name in the US context.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Dare we ask if the name has any football-related meaning?

It's a nice name, must say, not conventional at all but not at all odd.

I have a good friend in New York, who lived in Barcelona in the 90s, and called his son, born about 2001, Pep. After Guardiola of course, when he was still a player. Which at that time in the US only mean "energy" or "lively spirit", as in a pep talk. Cool name in the US context.

I think there is an elefante in the room, if (especially) you are searching for meaning in that name.

1 minute ago, BearcatSA said:

Great name.  Beĺieve it or not, I have a former co-worker and two other social acquaintances with that name.

Surprised. Where do you think it is coming from?

Thing is, it is a Spanish word (queen), but it is not at all a common name for women in Spanish-speaking countries. It is in fact extremely obscure, you won't find anyone called "María de la Reina", though I think in some parts of S America, like Chile, you may see it more.

You see it in odd translations, Lady from Disney's Lady and the Tramp is Reina in Spanish, so you'll hear it as a dog name.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Surprised. Where do you think it is coming from?

Thing is, it is a Spanish word (queen), but it is not at all a common name for women in Spanish-speaking countries. It is in fact extremely obscure, you won't find anyone called "María de la Reina", though I think in some parts of S America, like Chile, you may see it more.

You see it in odd translations, Lady from Disney's Lady and the Tramp is Reina in Spanish, so you'll hear it as a dog name.

One is a retired Dutch-Canadian woman.  I am not sure where in the Netherlands she was born and raised before emigrating as a young teen to the Prairies.

Edited by BearcatSA

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Grated or sliced?

2 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Or whizzed

47 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Grilled?

2 hours ago, costarg said:

or squeezed?

Yes

20 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I love how after we lost to them, Jamaica are completely throwing the semi against the USA. They don't even have all their big guns and Bailey is out complaining again about how unprofessional the JFF is.

Still, on the betting sites, Jamaica is a 9-1 underdog while T&T are 23-1 underdogs.

37 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I love how after we lost to them, Jamaica are completely throwing the semi against the USA. They don't even have all their big guns and Bailey is out complaining again about how unprofessional the JFF is.

Still, that is the game we could be playing this evening, for a chance at another final, and not this charade we are going to have to take seriously on Saturday.