General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

I missed the news about Canada not getting any knockout games. Is there an article someone can link? Originally the plan was that USA would host everything from quarter finals on, meaning we looked like we would host group stage, round of 32, and round of 16 games (or at least one of each), but I think that was back when we were planning on having 3 stadiums, instead of just 2 now.

22 hours ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

The turf has to be changed to grass regardless. Bigger requirement is 60k minimum seating. I know jack about stadiums and even less about Canadian stadiums. Does the dome create an issue in adding seats? I know in some NFL stadiums would need to remove seats next to the corners. Would that be an issue in Canadian stadiums? That’s not to say it would be an insurmountable obstacle. Commonwealth could easily meet that criteria. 

Is this a new requirement? Last World Cup there were only 2 stadiums that had 60k seating, and they didn't host every knockout game.

As for the question about Canadian football stadiums needing to remove seats next to the corners, I don't think that is a factor. Our brand of gridiron football has a wider and longer field. NFL field is 53 yards wide, CFL field is 65 yards wide. NFL field is 120 yards long (including end zones) and CFL is 150 yards long (including end zones).

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Is this a new requirement? Last World Cup there were only 2 stadiums that had 60k seating, and they didn't host every knockout game.

As for the question about Canadian football stadiums needing to remove seats next to the corners, I don't think that is a factor. Our brand of gridiron football has a wider and longer field. NFL field is 53 yards wide, CFL field is 65 yards wide. NFL field is 120 yards long (including end zones) and CFL is 150 yards long (including end zones).

You are right. 60k is the requirement for QF/SF. Idk why I thought it was all ko rounds. That’s my bad I apologize.

44 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

You are right. 60k is the requirement for QF/SF. Idk why I thought it was all ko rounds. That’s my bad I apologize.

Even that, in 2022 there were quarter finals held in Education City Stadium (44,667) and Al Thumama Stadium (44,400), and the 3rd place game was in Khalifa International Stadium (45,857). I just checked 2018 as well in case Qatar got one of their many special exemptions from rules. In 2018 in Russia none of the QF round stadiums held 60k fans, but the SFs, Finals, and 3rd place game were all hosted in the 2 stadiums that could support 60k fans.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Even that, in 2022 there were quarter finals held in Education City Stadium (44,667) and Al Thumama Stadium (44,400), and the 3rd place game was in Khalifa International Stadium (45,857). I just checked 2018 as well in case Qatar got one of their many special exemptions from rules. In 2018 in Russia none of the QF round stadiums held 60k fans, but the SFs, Finals, and 3rd place game were all hosted in the 2 stadiums that could support 60k fans.

First of all - appreciate you for digging into this, Kent.

Secondly, this is a double-edged sword. We can cry foul if we don't get these exceptions, but how much are we fighting for them and/or doing whatever it takes to get our fair share?

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

First of all - appreciate you for digging into this, Kent.

Secondly, this is a double-edged sword. We can cry foul if we don't get these exceptions, but how much are we fighting for them and/or doing whatever it takes to get our fair share?

Agreed. The hosting rights were won what, 5 years ago? And we have done nothing. The World Cup is less than 3 years away now. I don't know if we should be getting knockout round games or not, I just want to know if this is an official decision that has been made or if people are just saying stuff.

I am a bit surprised that folks are unaware that Canada dicked around on this and we are still doing so. 

At one point we had 1 candidate city. In fact, the only city to be clear from the start and not waver was Toronto. 

Alberta, BC and Québec all were unable to make the simple calculations of what the economic impact would be, and refused to clearly commit their stadiums to the candidacy. 

There is an upgrade planned for BMO, and they are working on practice venues. It looks promising.

In BC they are still sleeping on this, after the BCSA slept on it, the provincial government, and the city of Vancouver as well. They only woke up because someone at the CSA/federal government said "Hey!".

No clear upgrades to existing facilities are on the books (and the VFC stadium is too far from BC Place and cannot be used, as per the clear guidelines set out in FIFA documents). Burnaby is working on Swangard so that could be thought of. UBC Whitecaps facilities, as mentioned.

But this is also a CSA failure: why are they not enocuraging Vancouver what sort of things they need to be complying with to properly do the job? There is no leadership on this, and no real awareness of what the impact will be, on so many levels. 

Just a personal opinion: in Vancouver there are large areas of playing fields that would permit new facilities to be built. Enclose a grass field, do a medium-sized main stand (say 1000-1800) and add temp stands or enclosure, so you could designate a few sites for upgrades and then have a couple of grass legacies with some spectator capacity. One is Connaught Park; another, just to contrast, another is Memorial South Park. They have no vision and won't from Parks Board, unless the City and the Province come in with a bit of vision.

If we can't handle such simple things, we are not going to get knock-out games. But I have family in Seattle so will be happy to go see them and Canada down there.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just a personal opinion: in Vancouver there are large areas of playing fields that would permit new facilities to be built. Enclose a grass field, do a medium-sized main stand (say 1000-1800) and add temp stands or enclosure, so you could designate a few sites for upgrades and then have a couple of grass legacies with some spectator capacity. One is Connaught Park; another, just to contrast, another is Memorial South Park. They have no vision and won't from Parks Board, unless the City and the Province come in with a bit of vision.

Good idea, UT. How about Brockton Oval in Stanley Park, or Strathcona Park on Prior Street, or even the site of Empire Fields? All three are relative stone throws from BC Place. I suppose the training playing surface would have to match whatever BC Place offers at the time of any top level match, should one ever be set. That is another question.

Just now, Stoppage Time said:

Good idea, UT. How about Brockton Oval in Stanley Park, or Strathcona Park on Prior Street, or even the site of Empire Fields? All three are relative stone throws from BC Place. I suppose the training playing surface would have to match whatever BC Place offers at the time of any top level match, should one ever be set. That is another question.

Or, use Swangard which is being upgraded to some extent.

49 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Or, use Swangard which is being upgraded to some extent.

I think they'll use the Whitecaps centre at UBC, Swangard, and another. They have to be able to close them and do full security, which in both cases they could handle. 

It's a shame, though, they couldn't leave any legacy whatsoever. A city that has Olympics legacy unable to conceive of the World Cup as an objectively much more important event.

University of South Carolina has put together historical outtakes from newsreels shown in movie theaters around the US. 

One of them is of Canada's November 8, 1925 friendly vs the US on a Brooklyn baseball diamond in front of 7k.

Earlier in June, Canada defeated the US 1-0 in Montreal. Canada played its first official international one year earlier in 1924 in a 3-2 loss to Australia in Brisbane. First unofficial international was back in 1885 in a 1-0 win over the US in New Jersey.

https://digital.tcl.sc.edu/digital/collection/MVTN/id/7464/rec/22

https://www.11v11.com/matches/usa-v-canada-08-november-1925-223579/

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, frmr said:

What does this mean?

edit: likely something about Sigur

I'd love that to be the case.

Another possibility: maybe they are signing a Canadian player? Is there another Croatian-Canadian we don't know about ready to ditch us? :) 

This would be a dream signing! 

dual list priority 
1. LDF - huge potential in our weakest position
2. Koleosho - top quality player. We have buchanan whos more of a WB, corbeanu and nelson who are prospects, and millar who I think is pushing to be a very good player for us. None of these options are prem quality though. Unlikely 
3. Sigur - He arguably starts for us with kone and staq. He's in a position of need.
4. Jebbison - could be a prem striker but we are deep.
5. Sali - High potential and a profile we need. 
6. Colvill - decent potential, I figure he could be a millar level? Unlikely 
7. Farsi - Decent player but we dont need a RB. Unlikely to ever get more than camp poutine invites
8. Abzi - Same as farsi

I would say an extremely successful dual scenario is LDF, Sali, Jebbison, Sigur. Anything else is gravy. 

2 hours ago, phresh said:

I am certain it was just a hype video for the Sigur extension, which Hajduk posted right after

I'm sure you are correct, but why would they hype him up in such a canadian way. He's a croatia youth player... unless he feels canadian. 

Do we know if hes been invited to any canadian camps and declined? Was he on the GC prelim roster?

10 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I'm sure you are correct, but why would they hype him up in such a canadian way. He's a croatia youth player... unless he feels canadian. 

Do we know if hes been invited to any canadian camps and declined? Was he on the GC prelim roster?

He declined to be on the GC roster

32 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

This crossed my mind, but I guess he is Canadian in their eyes, even though he is a Croatian youth international? He is the "Canadian" of the bunch, but he is still one of them (a Croat) if that makes sense....

Kind of weird from our perspective, but maybe he is a little exotic in their eyes, and a bit of a novelty, hence the mountains and maple leaves. 

I know there are lots of names you could toss into a "youngish" starting 11, but just for fun I threw together a sort-of roster based loosely on a possible U23 cohort.  It really underscores how much we need to sort out the financial challenges to be able to pull a group like this together.  And I know some of them are already full CMNT members and wouldn't be called into a U23 squad.  It is really just intended to provide a snapshot of your quality rather than a rigorous exercise.  So just for shits and giggles...

Jebbo (20)

Nelson (21)              Colyn (21) (or Dias? 20)             JRR (21)

Kone (21)        Loturi (22)    

Unsure...       Stefanovic (17!)   LDH (18)       JMR (19)

Sirois (22)

I am sometimes guilty of optimism, but man I would love the chance to watch a group that looked something like that on a regular basis. 

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know there are lots of names you could toss into a "youngish" starting 11, but just for fun I threw together a sort-of roster based loosely on a possible U23 cohort.  It really underscores how much we need to sort out the financial challenges to be able to pull a group like this together.  And I know some of them are already full CMNT members and wouldn't be called into a U23 squad.  It is really just intended to provide a snapshot of your quality rather than a rigorous exercise.  So just for shits and giggles...

Jebbo (20)

Sirois (22)

I am sometimes guilty of optimism, but man I would love the chance to watch a group that looked something like that on a regular basis. 

Franklin at LB, move LDF to RB and put JKL at CB. JMR has no business being there over Franklin. I’d put Corbeanu at RW over JRR. Maybe JRR over Jebbison but that one’s close for me.

Edited by Jack1997

Forgot about Theo - I associate him with the senior team so just missed him.  100% should be here.  

Jebbo is the only dual that I included on the basis that I think he will commit (Dias too I guess, but he did play for us in the Olympic qualifiers so I am considering him ours until he claims otherwise).  Could slot in JRR for Jebbo if you wanted to just stick to committed players.  

And good call on shuffling the defence.  JKL was another omission for sure.  As for Franklin and JMR, I don't really have a ton to judge them by (watched less TFC this year than at any other point in their history).  At 19, I am still hoping a couple more years of pro minutes will lead to a bit of a quantum leap for JMR given his initial hype. 

23 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Jebbo (20)

Sirois (22)

As mentioned, get Theo in there for JRR, who we could pair with Jebbo if you're open to a formation switch. Colyn takes his rightful place here in the midfield, but not sure on Dias. Would love that to be the case, but need to see more. Nelson and Kone pick themselves for me. Loturi is fair but maybe we'd consider Saliba here, or possibly further forward where Dias is, or maybe push Kone up there and have Saliba be a deep playmaker with Loturi doing the dirty work? I know you probably never put much thought into the formation or positions and are just trying to list names, essentially, so I digress.

As for the back, I assume LDH is LDF. I think Stefanovic is a fair shout, but maybe Knight-Label is in this conversation. He doesn't play, but making the bench every game for Bristol City in the Champo is a good sign. That leftback spot though is worrisome. No prospects jump out at me either. Sirois in goal is the obvious choice.  

Edit - saw just now you mentioned JKL and Franklin....that's definitely a pick and maybe you push Rutty to the other side.

Edited by Obinna