General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

2 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Who were the other teams? Pros/college players or just anyone who can walk up? 

Cannagia elva, akio and musse was also on that calgary team.... Not sure Sam adekugbe played and not sure if ntignee played either but both were on the instagram page of the tourney. 

Its alot of calgary based guys. Some U of C/ MRU etc.  

Edited by Bigandy

1 hour ago, Bigandy said:

Cannagia elva, akio and musse was also on that calgary team.... Not sure Sam adekugbe played and not sure if ntignee played either but both were on the instagram page of the tourney. 

Its alot of calgary based guys. Some U of C/ MRU etc.  

That’s pretty stacked for a tournament like this, but losing to (I’m guessing) amateurs isn’t unheard of. I know a ton of NBA players join pick up leagues over the summer and regularly get beat by YMCA gym guys. To the pro, it’s an unserious pick up game, to their opponents, it’s the biggest game of the year. 

It's interesting that pros do this in any sport. On one hand, they love the game so any chance to hit the field or the court must be hard to resist. True for amateurs so surely true for pros who are even more immersed in the sport. On the other hand, you risk getting injured and impacting your career and in some cases your livelihood. Tearing your ACL is one thing, but doing it playing pick up against some local guys must be a real gut punch. Then again, you could go out skiing and do the same, so maybe that's how the average pro views it. Can't be afraid to go skiing (or playing pick up) just because you are a pro. Got to live your life?

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

That’s pretty stacked for a tournament like this, but losing to (I’m guessing) amateurs isn’t unheard of. I know a ton of NBA players join pick up leagues over the summer and regularly get beat by YMCA gym guys. To the pro, it’s an unserious pick up game, to their opponents, it’s the biggest game of the year. 

I've heard mike richards used to put together an nhl caliber team for beer league tournaments and they would lose every game because they were too drunk to skate properly. 

46 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's interesting that pros do this in any sport. On one hand, they love the game so any chance to hit the field or the court must be hard to resist. True for amateurs so surely true for pros who are even more immersed in the sport. On the other hand, you risk getting injured and impacting your career and in some cases your livelihood. Tearing your ACL is one thing, but doing it playing pick up against some local guys must be a real gut punch. Then again, you could go out skiing and do the same, so maybe that's how the average pro views it. Can't be afraid to go skiing (or playing pick up) just because you are a pro. Got to live your life?

This tourney is a charity event for kidsport. I dont think sam played but him and waterman are the only div 1 players - ish. 

Im not fully surprised cpl quality guys play in this type of tournament because it has  professional-ish resources behind it. 
I know of some CPL guys who play in tournaments where the pitch is uneven, roots are exposed, massive divots, cones for lines etc. And they do it in-season. The tournament winner gets $20-$50 per player. Thats truly wild to me. 

17 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I dont think sam played but him and waterman are the only div 1 players - ish. 

Im not fully surprised cpl quality guys play in this type of tournament because it has  professional-ish resources behind it. 

What an unnecessary shot at the Austrian Bundesliga

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Ah so that's why Neuer caught so much flack. Good to know, thanks!

Russ Francis, the former great NFL tight end who died recently in a plane crash, used to drive his owners nuts with his skydiving hobby, among other high risk pursuits.

I heard a team of Ukrainian refugees (with the possibility of a couple Canadians of Ukrainian descent) won a local money tournament over Christmas in Toronto.  I don't believe there were any pro's playing but it goes to show you a little bit of the talent gap between the average Canadian & average European.

Edited by Corazon

19 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I heard a team of Ukrainian refugees/immigrants won a local money tournament over Christmas in Toronto.  I don't believe there were any pro's playing but it goes to show you a little bit of the talent gap between the average Canadian & average European.

There was a Toronto money tournament over the holidays that included at least one team with CPLers (Mo Babouli & Niko Giantsopoulos, possibly more) that was won by a different side. Perhaps it was the same tournament.

23 minutes ago, Corazon said:

I heard a team of Ukrainian refugees/immigrants won a local money tournament over Christmas in Toronto.  I don't believe there were any pro's playing but it goes to show you a little bit of the talent gap between the average Canadian & average European.

If they're immigrants, are they not Canadian?

2 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

If they're immigrants, are they not Canadian?

I didn't have time to interview any of them on their PR status but I will go back to my post and correct to Ukrainian Canadians in case one or two of members of the team were were Canadian's of Ukrainian descent.

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Can't win a local Calgary tournament? Man we are screwed if that's the form we are bringing into March...

Ex Montréal Impact players were in a 7 vs 7 league for years and lost few titles. Mind you, the field is the 1/3 of a normal pitch (and usually it’s a really small 11vs11 field) but you almost have 2/3 of the players (14 instead of 22)

That is why I hate 7vs7 and don’t even call it football.

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

What an unnecessary shot at the Austrian Bundesliga

Thats not a shot at A. Bundes. Just an oversight on not typing kennedys name. If its a shot at any league, its at CPL because CPL is not entirely a div 1 level IMO. 

40 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Thats not a shot at A. Bundes. Just an oversight on not typing kennedys name. If its a shot at any league, its at CPL because CPL is not entirely a div 1 level IMO. 

That's what I figured. Super helpful opinion

8 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Who were the other teams? Pros/college players or just anyone who can walk up? 

That's exactly who they were - semi-pros and college players primarily (my nephew was one).  League One, Whitecaps 2, U Sports level, etc.  So not exactly scrubs, but not exactly world class either...

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I've heard mike richards used to put together an nhl caliber team for beer league tournaments and they would lose every game because they were too drunk to skate properly. 

This tourney is a charity event for kidsport. I dont think sam played but him and waterman are the only div 1 players - ish. 

I know of some CPL guys who play in tournaments where the pitch is uneven, roots are exposed, massive divots, cones for lines etc. And they do it in-season. The tournament winner gets $20-$50 per player. Thats truly wild to me. 

I believe the prize money for this one was actually $5,000, so yeah, big-time.  😉  Also a rumour that Davies was invited to come down from Edmonton, but he declined at the last minute.  (Possible that missing three 0's from the prize money had something to do with that.)   

23 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

That's what I figured. Super helpful opinion

I dont understand what your issue with my assessment is. 

The difference in quality between moe el gandour(draftee), elijah adekugbe(CPL) and a top UBC (U-sports) prospect is much closer than an MLS player and U-sports players. Which is why I make the distinction that there are very few pure div 1 league players (as well as being the reason for calling CPL div 1- ish....) . It gives more accurate context to the quality of the tournament. 

It feels like you were looking for an issue out of nothing. I forgot to write kennedys name and now you have an issue with me calling CPL - div 1 ish..... sounds silly to have an issue with those 2 things?

14 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I believe the prize money for this one was actually $5,000, so yeah, big-time.  😉  Also a rumour that Davies was invited to come down from Edmonton, but he declined at the last minute.  (Possible that missing three 0's from the prize money had something to do with that.)   

Split amongst 13 players is 384.62$. I think thats bigger than the WC payout bonus the lads got?