General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

45 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Split amongst 13 players is 384.62$. I think thats bigger than the WC payout bonus the lads got? 

Or an example of the greedy CMNT players trying to gobble up all the funding for soccer in this country once again. 😄

Edited by kacbru
Auto-correct

9 hours ago, RS said:

There was a Toronto money tournament over the holidays that included at least one team with CPLers (Mo Babouli & Niko Giantsopoulos, possibly more) that was won by a different side. Perhaps it was the same tournament.

This has been happening for years. 

I remember playing my heart out in one of these in 2016 lol, I wasnt expecting to see the names I saw then like Raheem, MAK, Babouli, Jordan Webb, Jonke Bros, Peters, Ornoch, Joey Melo, Chapman, Nana, and a lot more.

So I'm not surprised to hear that a lot of guys play in those money Christmas money tournaments. It's typically 5K for the winner (sometimes the two finalist agree to split pot) split between 8-9 guys. $500 is good Christmas money for some of a lot of these guys on low wages. 

17 minutes ago, Shway said:

This has been happening for years. 

I remember playing my heart out in one of these in 2016 lol, I wasnt expecting to see the names I saw then like Raheem, MAK, Babouli, Jordan Webb, Jonke Bros, Peters, Ornoch, Joey Melo, Chapman, Nana, and a lot more.

So I'm not surprised to hear that a lot of guys play in those money Christmas money tournaments. It's typically 5K for the winner (sometimes the two finalist agree to split pot) split between 8-9 guys. $500 is good Christmas money for some of a lot of these guys on low wages. 

Yep, it’s been going on forever but generally it’s guys under MLS level (and it’s fewer MLS guys every year as their pay goes higher and they’re not going to risk it for a few hundred bucks).

I heard that this year’s Boxing Day tournament in the west GTA was $15k for the winner, but that could’ve been the total prize money. I’m not entirely sure, as that would be a big jump from previous years.

14 hours ago, GasPed said:

I believe the prize money for this one was actually $5,000, so yeah, big-time.  😉  Also a rumour that Davies was invited to come down from Edmonton, but he declined at the last minute.  (Possible that missing three 0's from the prize money had something to do with that.)   

Maybe worth remembering that something like this can be about ego as much as anything else. Money's just a way of keeping score as the saying goes.

17 hours ago, Corazon said:

I heard a team of Ukrainian refugees (with the possibility of a couple Canadians of Ukrainian descent) won a local money tournament over Christmas in Toronto.  I don't believe there were any pro's playing but it goes to show you a little bit of the talent gap between the average Canadian & average European.

Was Benito Floro not told that he wasn't allowed to hold an identification camp for players from those sort of recent arrival backgrounds in the GTA and should stick to the suburban youth club type pathway because the latter group are the ones who pay their registration fees?

The absence of any players from that sort of background being signed in CanPL has always seemed a bit odd to me given they would count as domestic players in visa status terms. Guess things have moved on from the NSL era back in the day when relatively few players born in Canada could compete against the recently arrived who grew up playing soccer in Europe or Latin America but it still makes me wonder a bit whether that demographic is being actively marginalized.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Maybe worth remembering that something like this can be about ego as much as anything else. Money's just a way of keeping score as the saying goes.

Was Benito Flores not told that he wasn't allowed to hold an identification camp for players from those sort of recent arrival backgrounds in the GTA and should stick to the suburban youth club type pathway because the latter group are the ones who pay their registration fees?

The absence of any players from that sort of background being signed in CanPL has always seemed a bit odd to me given they would count as domestic players in visa status terms. Guess things have moved on from the NSL era back in the day when relatively few players born in Canada could compete against the recently arrived who grew up playing soccer in Europe or Latin America but it still makes me wonder a bit whether that demographic is being actively marginalized.

From what I understand, a lot of the newer Ukrainians to Canada are either young families, so kid too young to play and father too old, or young, educated professionals, so not exactly the profile of a professional athlete. If you were already a talented soccer player in Ukraine before the war, there are a lot of European countries you could move to to continue your career too. You wouldn’t move to Canada for sporting reasons when you could just go to like, Latvia or Poland instead. 

I'm not just talking about Ukrainians FWIW. It's important to bear in mind that CanPL isn't a particularly high level in European terms where playing standards are concerned. A player like Oliver Bassett was playing semi-professionally for Nuneaton Borough in the English seventh tier before moving to Pacific FC and has subsequently been the MVP.

There are people who move to Canada for work or other reasons who were playing soccer semi-professionally in a not completely dissimilar sort of way to that or were at a reasonably high but not spectacular youth level in their country of origin. Back in the day guys like that who were nothing particularly special where they came from could be a major factor in leagues like the NSL. One of my close relatives fell into that category. Now that doesn't appear to be happening so much, but if an ethnic oriented team from a recent arrival type of background can win a money tournament maybe it should be more than it is?

Guess if we were talking exclusively about Ukrainians there is the young guy at York United who like Mo Babouli wasn't keen on wearing the pride themed kit but not sure what age he was when he arrived and think he came through L1O so did do the suburban youth club sort of pathway that I vaguely remember Benito Floro claiming that he was told to stick to. Or maybe it was Octavio Zambrano?

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

I'm not just talking about Ukrainians FWIW. It's important to bear in mind that CanPL isn't a particularly high level in European terms where playing standards are concerned. A player like Oliver Bassett was playing semi-professionally for Nuneaton Borough in the English seventh tier before moving to Pacific FC and has subsequently been the MVP.

There are people who move to Canada for work or other reasons who were playing soccer semi-professionally in a not completely dissimilar sort of way to that or were at a reasonably high but not spectacular youth level in their country of origin. Back in the day guys like that who were nothing particularly special where they came from could be a major factor in leagues like the NSL. One of my close relatives fell into that category. Now that doesn't appear to be happening so much, but if an ethnic oriented team from a recent arrival type of background can win a money tournament maybe it should be more than it is?

Guess if we were talking exclusively about Ukrainians there is the young guy at York United who like Mo Babouli wasn't keen on wearing the pride themed kit but not sure what age he was when he arrived and think he came through L1O so did do the suburban youth club sort of pathway that I vaguely remember Benito Floro claiming that he was told to stick to. Or maybe it was Octavio Zambrano?

I think it’s hard to pinpoint whether a foreign player at the CPL level came to Canada for sporting reasons or because they wanted to come to Canada and also happened to be a decent soccer player. Like Bassett, there are guys like Myer Bevan who never played a high level until he starred in the CPL. Kevin Santos of Portugal had a fine season with York after playing a season in the 7th tier of English football, and there are others like that. I feel like there have been a few Haitian players who made their way to Canada and had some success too, names escape me. 

As for ethnic background teams, there are still semi pro teams like Serbian White Eagle of Toronto, I believe there is a Croatian team in either Hamilton or Toronto (or both?) and I feel like I’ve heard of a similar team of Portuguese players somewhere in Ontario too. 

For Ukrainians specifically, my guess is that we’ll start seeing more of those players pop up in our domestic leagues over the next 5 or so years. My guess is that it would be the kids who are 10-12 years old when they fled Ukraine who are just now getting involved in soccer locally of which the best will turn pro at various levels sometime when they hit 18 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Just took a brief look at the Bios for the CSA current board directors and while some have been there for a while, there's loads of seemingly capabable individuals. Experience in Public/ private entities including marketing, lawyers, CFO in M&A/ capital markets, corporate restructing, Managing directors in industry/consulting, governance, tech, sports law .... There's really no excuse why this group can't get things sorted out at the CSA level and start moving the game we all love in the right direction.

5 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

There's really no excuse why this group can't get things sorted out at the CSA level and start moving the game we all love in the right direction.

This. There is NO excuse for any incompetence. I wonder if all the Corporate positions are necessary. Who was it, many years ago, who came into the CSA and asked people what they did and what they contributed to the association? I recall that Dale Mitchell blew the person off after being asked to describe what he did outside of direct managing the CMNT.  

16 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Just took a brief look at the Bios for the CSA current board directors and while some have been there for a while, there's loads of seemingly capabable individuals. Experience in Public/ private entities including marketing, lawyers, CFO in M&A/ capital markets, corporate restructing, Managing directors in industry/consulting, governance, tech, sports law .... There's really no excuse why this group can't get things sorted out at the CSA level and start moving the game we all love in the right direction.

Did you notice in the CSA pics they are wearing what I assume are the matching "suits", they caught so much shit for?? 

As for not getting things sorted out in a country that by and large doesnt give a shit about soccer, and seemingly have provincial associations, pro leagues/corp interests, goverment etc all work at cross purposes...it doesnt surprise me.  And arent they all volunteers? 

37 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Experience in Public/ private entities including marketing, lawyers, CFO in M&A/ capital markets, corporate restructing, Managing directors in industry/consulting, governance, tech, sports law ....

This is probably what you don’t want

19 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:
20 minutes ago, MauditYvon said:

This is probably what you don’t want

It is if you want financial stability and to  grow revenues. The CSA should be operated like a business.  There's also experience in the game/or directors that have been lifelong supporters ...a bit like us 🙂.  

42 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Did you notice in the CSA pics they are wearing what I assume are the matching "suits", they caught so much shit for?? 

As for not getting things sorted out in a country that by and large doesnt give a shit about soccer, and seemingly have provincial associations, pro leagues/corp interests, goverment etc all work at cross purposes...it doesnt surprise me.  And arent they all volunteers? 

Yes as to volunteers, but the board provides oversight, direction & advice to the GS/staff that actually do the work.  With capable business experienced board members it's a valuable resource and it doesn't require a lot of their time. Besides, presumably they are in it for the love of the game?

I know with the Nation’s League which to me is a redundant tournament when you already have the Gold Cup, playing international friendlies against countries outside of our region is difficult now. However, back in the day I remember going to watch countless friendlies against countries outside of our region right here in Toronto . Just watching some of these continental tournaments happening now the Asian and African ones got me thinking that money could easily be made inviting some of these countries to Canada for friendlies . Call me crazy but imagine a friendly against a China or an India in Toronto or even in Vancouver the draw they would be . Before people tell me that India is not a soccer country or even China to a certain extent I still believe these type of games easily sell out a BMO Field or get a very good  crowd even a sellout at BC place . There is money to be made out there just look at the US and the money it keeps constantly making with the Mexican national team games always played in the US . I think it’s time we start doing the same with some of these countries where we have big immigrant population from certain countries and invite them for friendlies here in Canada . What am I missing here , are these type of friendlies money making ones ?

11 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I know with the Nation’s League which to me is a redundant tournament when you already have the Gold Cup, playing international friendlies against countries outside of our region is difficult now. However, back in the day I remember going to watch countless friendlies against countries outside of our region right here in Toronto . Just watching some of these continental tournaments happening now the Asian and African ones got me thinking that money could easily be made inviting some of these countries to Canada for friendlies . Call me crazy but imagine a friendly against a China or an India in Toronto or even in Vancouver the draw they would be . Before people tell me that India is not a soccer country or even China to a certain extent I still believe these type of games easily sell out a BMO Field or get a very good  crowd even a sellout at BC place . There is money to be made out there just look at the US and the money it keeps constantly making with the Mexican national team games always played in the US . I think it’s time we start doing the same with some of these countries where we have big immigrant population from certain countries and invite them for friendlies here in Canada . What am I missing here , are these type of friendlies money making ones ?

A quick google search tells me that these nations havent played an outside friendly in 5+ years. To run a camp would be 1-2 million plus we would have to pay a fee to china to come. I'm not sure we could recover that in revenue for this game. Then look at the sporting aspect. Is there any value in having davies destroy china? Do we go with a camp poutine.... and if we do, is there any chance we get a big enough crowd? What about timing logistics? Theres very few windows where both us and other federations have open schedules and also international breaks. Again, do we use that on china? or perhaps we use it on a quality team in japan like our most recent friendly. 

16 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

I think India would draw a great crowd. Not sure about China (maybe).

3 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Having heard Iain Humes's stories about Indian soccer, a club friendly could be exciting too. TFC vs Kerala Blasters.

Yup , like I said their is money to be made if I had the money and was a rich guy I would get into it and make club or national team games happen like this . Come to think about it imagine a Pacific or a Vancouver CPL or a York United CPL game against one of these Indian Clubs now that you mentioned it . 

6 minutes ago, jdheid said:

I think India would draw a great crowd. Not sure about China (maybe).

China draws big crowds for the women's NT. I sat right in the middle of their very large supporters section in 2015 when they played Cameroon in Edmonton during the WWC. 

Does that translate to the men? Are fans coming out because the Chinese women are "good" or is it moreso to do with patriotism? 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

China draws big crowds for the women's NT. I sat right in the middle of their very large supporters section in 2015 when they played Cameroon in Edmonton during the WWC. 

Does that translate to the men? Are fans coming out because the Chinese women are "good" or is it moreso to do with patriotism? 

I've always been under the impression that many Chinese were much more interested in EPL / big international names than they were in their domestic league or men's national team. The women though do seem to be well supported.

14 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Having heard Iain Humes's stories about Indian soccer, a club friendly could be exciting too. TFC vs Kerala Blasters.

I think you might surprised. As someone who grew up in Surrey, I don't think I've ever seen an India flag anywhere. Especially with the current climate I'm not exactly sure but the current demographics of Indians in Canada have changed a bit. Indian is a funny place. It's really a sub continent not a country