Stephen Eustaquio

29 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

ok since we are all looking at the glass half empty, how about the glass half full...when was the last time (excluding this WCQ) where we tied Mexico at Azteca and the USA away?

Sure but we still have to play 4 away games in Central America and history is not even close on our side . Yes it’s great that we got those results in the US and in Mexico but Central America is a different animal even the US does not have such a great record in Central America.

This is the worst case scenario coming true. Eustaquio is the straw that stirs the drink for us. We wouldn't be where we are right now without him.

El Salvador on February 2nd is still 10 days away. Given how vastly different we are without him (like the first 70 minutes in Jamaica), let's hope he can play 1 of the 3 matches.

Edited by Neil R.

1 hour ago, SoccMan said:

Sure but we still have to play 4 away games in Central America and history is not even close on our side . Yes it’s great that we got those results in the US and in Mexico but Central America is a different animal even the US does not have such a great record in Central America.

Would you rather play Mexico at Azteca  on Friday or this Honduras team in SPS?

30 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

This is the worst case scenario coming true. Eustaquio is the straw that stirs the drink for us. We wouldn't be where we are right now without him.

El Salvador on February 2nd is still 10 days away. Given how vastly different we are without him (like the first 70 minutes in Jamaica), let's hope he can play 1 of the 3 matches.

Given the current state of the pandemic, I can envision several much worse scenarios that could yet occur.

6 minutes ago, JBR said:

Have any in-contention WCQ teams been forced to forfeit because of an outbreak, globally?

I've been wondering about this.

What happens if one of the Octagonal teams has a major covid outbreak before a match?

I doubt it would be a forfeit. Maybe reschedule for June?

And this is why we need depth in the squad. I always cringe when people say "oh we on' need <x> player anyway we good". No, you always want to be strengthening your squad and creating competition for starting spots. 

So yes, all those fence sitters would be very nice to have. And yes, we probably should have been calling bigger squads in the past so more players are familiar with the systems and such!

2 minutes ago, frmr said:

I’m with you. It sucks we have some important players out but it is what is. I’m not worried. 

image.thumb.png.135fff4da8b50c4a31cfa95b91fdae24.pngThis is the lineup we dominated the USMNT in at the Gold Cup. Yes it was missing Mckennie and Adams in the midfield but it was still a squad that had Robinson, Acosta, LLetget etc guys who are going to get minutes against and possibly start.

Our strength was never in the middle anyways so even if we did have Eustaquio the Americans would play us off the park. Their Achilles heels is the wing and as long as everyone else is there (Buchanan, Laryea, Adekugbe, Millar, etc) we should be fine IMO. I still believe missing Davies is more detrimental as teams had to game plan for him. USMNT don't have to game against Stephen they just need to play the MMA midfield and that equation is solved. 

This is a bigger issue considering a lot of our mids are out of season. Playing 3 games in a week after not playing in almost 3 months... Hope these guys were working hard to keep math fit during this time.

I swear Pulisic was in a similar position and like 3-4 days later he was allowed to join the team.

2 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

This is a bigger issue considering a lot of our mids are out of season. Playing 3 games in a week after not playing in almost 3 months... Hope these guys were working hard to keep math fit during this time.

I hope so too.  Their ability to solve partial differential equations on the fly under pressure will be essential.