Stephen Eustaquio

15 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm all for moving to a better team and all but can someone help me out with some details of why this benefits ME.  I'm being serious, how is this better

1 Stephen gets a raise because he's going to a bigger team
2 Stephen will be practising against better players
3 Stephen will be playing CL games

Here's where I get stuck, he'll still be playing the same ol players in the same ol league so that doesn't really benefit him.  How many CL/Europa games will he likely play, I don't follow it so I don't have a clue

So Stephen hopefully gets a big raise but what's in it for me as a CMNT fan?

2020-2021

Champions League: Man City, Olympiacos, Marseille, Juventus, Chelsea - 10 games

2019-2020

Champions League (qualifying): Krasnodar - 2 games

Europa League: Rangers, Young Boys, Feyenoord, Bayer Leverkusen - 8 games

2018-2019

Champions League: Schalke 04, Galatasaray, Lokomotiv Moscow, Roma, Liverpool - 10 games

Won't go back any further because that should paint a good enough picture for you. Taking that 3-year average, he's looking at 10 possible high level games in Europe.

There's also two Domestic Cups that provide extra high level games, against (most likely) Sporting or Benfica, plus the Super Cup which they'll be involved in more often than not.

So let's call that an extra 3 games (assume Porto reaches the final of all 3 cups).

Between Europe and the domestic cup finals, it's safe to assume Stephen would have the possibility of 12 high level games he wouldn't get at Pacos. Would you say that's significant or no?

Hope that helps!

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's the type of thing I'm getting at, the deep dive, not the simplistic stuff that may be myth.  Some posts have repeated what I already said in the original post.

Let's take something like better facilities.  Do we actually know what is actually better that would make him better or is that attitudinal.  Does he elevate his game by thinking this ice bath pool is better than my old ice bath pool, I must be somebody to warrant this.

I am honestly not trying to be obtuse with this, I just want to look at it at a much deeper level.  Another, for instance is approx how many CL/Europa games happen in a year.  We can make the case that these are the best teams of their league and good competition but how many times does Porto get that opportunity? 

The level of competition in the Portuguese league isn't going to change he'll still be playing the same teams except Porto.

I'm not trying to deny Porto may be a better club for him, I just want to know exactly why and not the it's obvious stupid kind of response which says nothing.  I think it's important to question beliefs to see if they are really true.

Yep I'll bite the bullet! I want him to go to the shiny team because it's more fun, and I want to watch him with better players. I don't think we can know whether he'll be a better player for it, but I have faith that he'll win a spot.

On 1/18/2022 at 11:03 AM, JasonDias said:

As someone who watches Primeira Liga games weekly I can safely suggest that the big clubs don't always play players based on who is best for that game / tactic.

Porto's interest in Eustaquio will likely be based on money. If they project his stock will continue to rise and they can buy him low now, then they will make him a focal point in next year's team.

It's true that future potential transfers play a role in who gets signed and sees the field at the big 3 in Portugal. That pretty much has to be a factor when you're a relative minnow in the world of Futebol finances. 

However, I think this can be an over-simplification of things and varies a lot based on circumstances.  For example at Benfica, (recently fired) Jorge Jesus was usually very, very hesitant to play younger players (who had the most transfer fee potential).  How he handled Bernardo Silva is perhaps the best/worst example of this.  He pretty much refused to play Bernardo in the first team even though he was doing really well on the B team at 19 yrs of age. Instead they ended up loaning him out and eventually selling him outright to Monaco for 15 million Euro's.  Monaco played him for a couple of seasons and then promptly turned around and sold Bernardo to Man City for 50 million!

Even more relevant is how things are going over at Porto this season under Sergio Conceicao. Two of the first names he's placed on the game sheet are Medhi Taremi and Mateus Uribe. Both were 28 yrs old when they were brought in a couple of seasons ago, for 5 and 10 million Euro's respectively. I would argue both of those players (currently 29 and 30 years old) have relatively low future transfer fee upside.  

So Conceicao and president Pinto Da Costa have actually done a great job in balancing both playing younger players who could bring future transfer windfalls (Luis Diaz, Evanilson, Vitinha, Fabio Veira, etc.), with bringing in reliable veteran players who have already proved themselves at other clubs.

(I've been known to watch my fair share of Primeira Liga games as well)   ;) 

22 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm all for moving to a better team and all but can someone help me out with some details of why this benefits ME.  I'm being serious, how is this better

1 Stephen gets a raise because he's going to a bigger team
2 Stephen will be practising against better players
3 Stephen will be playing CL games

Here's where I get stuck, he'll still be playing the same ol players in the same ol league so that doesn't really benefit him.  How many CL/Europa games will he likely play, I don't follow it so I don't have a clue

So Stephen hopefully gets a big raise but what's in it for me as a CMNT fan?

Say Flores picks us. Would you rather he play for Arsenal or Norwich?  

All is still quiet on the western European front as far as the transfer news we're all anxiously anticipating goes! 

"The deal is nearly done, they're just wrapping up some final details" continues to be the general consensus.

Only new tidbits of info I read today included a confirmation that his unusual contract situation (where his former club Chaves still owns 50% of his "economic rights') is an added complication that they are working through.

And that Stephen has a flight booked tomorrow to join up with the Canadian National Team.*  

https://www.abola.pt/nnh/noticias/ver/923467

Edited by Acid-Tone

4 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

All is still quiet on the western European front as far as the transfer news we're all anxiously anticipating goes! 

"The deal is nearly done, they're just wrapping up some final details" continues to be the general consensus.

Only new tidbits of info I read today included a confirmation that his unusual contract situation (where his former club Chaves still owns 50% of his "economic rights') is an added complication that they are working through.

And that Stephen has a flight to Canada booked tomorrow to join up with the National Team.  

Thanks for the update. Hopefully he arrives in NT camp as a freshly inked FC Porto player.

26 minutes ago, Acid-Tone said:

And that Stephen has a flight to Canada booked tomorrow to join up with the National Team.  

hes flying to canada? thought the team was meeting in Florida? maybe things have changed. 

9 minutes ago, king1010 said:

hes flying to canada? thought the team was meeting in Florida? maybe things have changed. 

The Florida camp was cancelled so I'd suspect things have changed. Maybe the team is going to meet in Toronto, train there and then fly to Honduras. IIRC that's what they did for Mexico away.

Nothing “ official” yet, but it sounds like a loan till the end of the season with a 4.5 million dollar transfer option at the end of it. 

Maybe the fact that it starts as a loan allows them to bypass the usual on-site medical screenings they do before any transfer takes place.  Obviously Stephen is now with the Nat’s so he would be unable to get those done before the end of this transfer window  

http://www.abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/923939

I’m glad that the deal is finally happening now.  It’s great to see him going to a better team.

I can’t wait to see him playing with better players every week and watching his stock rise.  This is a low key big move for our program as we will have another player in the Champions League next year.