Stephen Eustaquio

I'm all for moving to a better team and all but can someone help me out with some details of why this benefits ME.  I'm being serious, how is this better

1 Stephen gets a raise because he's going to a bigger team
2 Stephen will be practising against better players
3 Stephen will be playing CL games

Here's where I get stuck, he'll still be playing the same ol players in the same ol league so that doesn't really benefit him.  How many CL/Europa games will he likely play, I don't follow it so I don't have a clue

So Stephen hopefully gets a big raise but what's in it for me as a CMNT fan?

11 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I'm all for moving to a better team and all but can someone help me out with some details of why this benefits ME.  I'm being serious, how is this better

Here's where I get stuck, he'll still be playing the same ol players in the same ol league so that doesn't really benefit him.  How many CL/Europa games will he likely play, I don't follow it so I don't have a clue

A more competitive environment with an expectation to win every game and better teammates around him will undoubtedly make him a better player who knows how to win in high pressure environments. Big clubs from top 5 leagues will be scouting Porto heavily and so if he does well he could move even further up the ladder. The move in general adds even more panache to the CMNT. If he succeeds, more clubs will be more willing to take chances on Canadians and it further reinforces that we have talent throughout our team. Adds another fear factor in opposition eyes. In short, a rising tide lifts all boats.

Edited by frmr

3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

when you are surrounded and playing with better players the level/quality of your play improves. He still has to make the defensive tackles/interceptions etc  but the skill of the players on Porto will elevate Eustaquio's game. " It's harder to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by crows"

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

He’ll be playing at a higher level you need to look at the competitions they’re in and not just the league. I.e. Porto is set to play 4 big matches against Lazio (Europa league) and Sporting (Portuguese cup) that he wouldn’t get at Pacos. 

Better facilities, training, exposure. Plus as others have said, he’s going to have more exposure and this is great for our national team. 

4 hours ago, frmr said:

A more competitive environment with an expectation to win every game and better teammates around him will undoubtedly make him a better player who knows how to win in high pressure environments. Big clubs from top 5 leagues will be scouting Porto heavily and so if he does well he could move even further up the ladder. The move in general adds even more panache to the CMNT. If he succeeds, more clubs will be more willing to take chances on Canadians and it further reinforces that we have talent throughout our team. Adds another fear factor in opposition eyes. In short, a rising tide lifts all boats.

(Trickle down theorist)

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

when you are surrounded and playing with better players the level/quality of your play improves. He still has to make the defensive tackles/interceptions etc  but the skill of the players on Porto will elevate Eustaquio's game. " It's harder to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by crows"

Exactly, his offensive game will develop immensely playing with quality wingers and strikers, understanding when and where to feed them. Thru the channels, a quick volley, dribbling and bringing the defenders towards, etc. 

1 hour ago, grigorio said:

Better ammo for when you get into flame wars with Mexican and American fans on Twitter  

Now that is some practical, useful advise.

Actually for all the craziness I post here, this is as close to social media as I get.  Hate the whole idea of the rest of them Facebook, Twitter, don't use 'em don't want to use 'em.  Where I go and what I eat for dinner is my business alone.  :)

2 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Enlighten me, in detail, sarcasm not required.  The actual example is Pacos vs Porto.

Porto:

• Training with world-class players every day.
  • Training under top coaches
  • Playing in high pressure, high-level games: UCL, UEL, Late-stage cup games, and championship-deciding games
  • If you succeed and stand out at Porto you're likely going to a top club in the big 5

Pacos:

• Playing a starring role at a smaller club in a solid league

It's quite the difference. 

Edited by Chad_Impact

Just now, Floortom said:

If he doesnt get regular playing time then it wont be a good move for him. You can tell me about all the other intangibles all day long, but a guy who isnt playing isnt improving.

I'm not saying that thats going to happen and he will be stapled to the bench or out of the squad with Porto -  but I do get the concern

That's the type of thing I'm getting at, the deep dive, not the simplistic stuff that may be myth.  Some posts have repeated what I already said in the original post.

Let's take something like better facilities.  Do we actually know what is actually better that would make him better or is that attitudinal.  Does he elevate his game by thinking this ice bath pool is better than my old ice bath pool, I must be somebody to warrant this.

I am honestly not trying to be obtuse with this, I just want to look at it at a much deeper level.  Another, for instance is approx how many CL/Europa games happen in a year.  We can make the case that these are the best teams of their league and good competition but how many times does Porto get that opportunity? 

The level of competition in the Portuguese league isn't going to change he'll still be playing the same teams except Porto.

I'm not trying to deny Porto may be a better club for him, I just want to know exactly why and not the it's obvious stupid kind of response which says nothing.  I think it's important to question beliefs to see if they are really true.

4 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

That's the type of thing I'm getting at, the deep dive, not the simplistic stuff that may be myth.  Some posts have repeated what I already said in the original post.

Let's take something like better facilities.  Do we actually know what is actually better that would make him better or is that attitudinal.  Does he elevate his game by thinking this ice bath pool is better than my old ice bath pool, I must be somebody to warrant this.

I am honestly not trying to be obtuse with this, I just want to look at it at a much deeper level.  Another, for instance is approx how many CL/Europa games happen in a year.  We can make the case that these are the best teams of their league and good competition but how many times does Porto get that opportunity? 

The level of competition in the Portuguese league isn't going to change he'll still be playing the same teams except Porto.

I'm not trying to deny Porto may be a better club for him, I just want to know exactly why and not the it's obvious stupid kind of response which says nothing.  I think it's important to question beliefs to see if they are really true.

The level does change though. Pacos v Porto is a much different match than Porto v Benfica. Just like St. Mirren v Celtic is different than Celtic v Rangers. 

I can appreciate you questioning this but it's really black and white. It's not like he's moving within MLS or Liga MX.. he's essentially moving up a tier (or two) in terms of club level. Better coaching too, which can't be understated. 

15 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Honestly I think the biggest thing is that he's in a better team with more internal competition and will have to compete for playing time. At Pacos, he was the main man, and while that can come with its own set of perceived benefits, being in an environment where he will have to be at 110% every day just to make the starting XI is going to force him to raise his game to the next level. I'm sure there was an element of comfort at Pacos, which will now be gone at Porto as he has to stake his claim as a starting player.

14 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Better coaching too, which can't be understated. 

Ok, I was just going to mention this, what is better coaching?  At the beginning quite a few people questioned the ability and competence of John Herdman to lead our Nats and were hoping for someone with a better "pedigree"  The Vegas Knights in their first season were led by a coach who was not a recognized "title winning top coach" and who had been fired a year before.

I don't want to get to the point where I am questioning everyone's responses but to just leave the impression that there is more to think about with this than assuming what people seem to think is obvious at first glance.

Edited by Joe MacCarthy