Stephen Eustaquio

Just now, Obinna said:

Based on the comments of the article, the consensus is that Eustaquio would be 4th in the Porto CM depth chart. 

I've always thought that that's largely just people not knowing his potential enough. Even in Portugal my feeling is that they see a Canadian from Pacos and go okay good but not great. I just hope he'll get early match opportunity to prove his worth and battle into the rotation or he may in fact end up 4th to 3 guys that have already established themselves 

31 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I've always thought that that's largely just people not knowing his potential enough. Even in Portugal my feeling is that they see a Canadian from Pacos and go okay good but not great. I just hope he'll get early match opportunity to prove his worth and battle into the rotation or he may in fact end up 4th to 3 guys that have already established themselves 

That was my initial reaction.

Several of the commenters acknowledged he's a very good player and none of them expressed a big disappointment. On the other hand, none of the comments suggest much excitement either. If anything, there seems to be more curiosity about other areas of the Porto squad and questions about whether this move is necessary. 

Hopefully the move happens and he proves to be a key piece in the future.

Uribe, formerly of Club America, was referred to by one commenter as being "indisputable"? I thought was interesting because I recall one Porto fan on this board suggesting the opposite. 

Edited by Obinna

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This makes me think he might be better off in La Liga or the EPL where there is more opportunity to progress and more quality clubs. 

I just don't think that's happening though. Porto has shown the most consistent interest, and Steph, by all accounts, is a great guy to work with. It's a risk he has to take.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I didn't read it like that.

And I don't think that is how Porto signs, they sign guys to compete for starting spots. 

I'm sure he'll get his chance if he moves to Porto, but there was a bit of indifference in those comments, no? I suspect it's just a case of them being satisfied with the midfield, even despite Oliveria's departure to Roma.

I get the impression they'd be fine watching him surpass the likes of Grujic and Costa. I am sure he'll get the chance to do so. I just don't see much expectation from the commenters that he necessarily will. 

As someone who watches Primeira Liga games weekly I can safely suggest that the big clubs don't always play players based on who is best for that game / tactic. For the last decade Benfica/Sporting/Porto have always played players that have the biggest transfer fee potential and made those players the focal point of their team. These teams are notorious for placing inflated buyout clauses on players that often get met by those rich teams in EPL and La Liga. Just look at how much money they have generated in Europe from just player transfers.

The clubs with the best net spend. Image: Transfermarkt.

Porto's interest in Eustaquio will likely be based on money. If they project his stock will continue to rise and they can buy him low now, then they will make him a focal point in next year's team. Likely flipping him in the January window of 2023 if he has a stellar WC. 

That being said being on Porto would be an expedited route to getting to a bigger European league - playing or not. He would likely also be requested to swap agencies probably to Gestifute (Jorge Mendes agency) as they handle most of the big 3's players - if that happens he will for sure be in the starting 11. 

Just my thoughts.  

11 minutes ago, JasonDias said:

Porto's interest in Eustaquio will likely be based on money. If they project his stock will continue to rise and they can buy him low now, then they will make him a focal point in next year's team. Likely flipping him in the January window of 2023 if he has a stellar WC. 

Thanks for the insight. If this is the case, I won't be complaining at all!