CPL General

Final standings for the spring season. Not much difference from third to last. A new player signing can make a big difference for a few of the teams next season.

1 Cavalry 10 24
WWLWL
2 Forge 10 19
WWWWL
3 Edmonton 10 14
LDWWW
4 Wanderers 10 11
WLDWL
5 Pacific 10 11
LLWLW
6 York9 10 11
WDDLW
7 Valour 10 9
WLLLL

8 minutes ago, fil said:

Final standings for the spring season. Not much difference from third to last. A new player signing can make a big difference for a few of the teams next season.

1 Cavalry 10 24
WWLWL
2 Forge 10 19
WWWWL
3 Edmonton 10 14
LDWWW
4 Wanderers 10 11
WLDWL
5 Pacific 10 11
LLWLW
6 York9 10 11
WDDLW
7 Valour 10 9
WLLLL

Or the upcoming transfer window

6 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Does anyone know what that the tie breakers in the table are?

1) points; 2) total wins; 3) goal differential; 4) goals for; 5) away goal differential; 6) away goals for; 7) home goal differential; 😎 home goals for; 9) coin toss or drawing of lots.

On 7/1/2019 at 10:27 PM, Gopherbashi said:

1) points; 2) total wins; 3) goal differential; 4) goals for; 5) away goal differential; 6) away goals for; 7) home goal differential; 😎 home goals for; 9) coin toss or drawing of lots.

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing numbers 5 through 8 as tie breakers before. Of course 7 and 8 will never be used to break a tie, because those will also be tied if 3, 4, 5, and 6 are all tied.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Interesting. I don't recall ever seeing numbers 5 through 8 as tie breakers before. Of course 7 and 8 will never be used to break a tie, because those will also be tied if 3, 4, 5, and 6 are all tied.

Yeah, 7 & 8 don't make any sense at all, but here we are.

If it makes you feel better, it's the same as MLS's tiebreakers, with the exception of MLS adding a fair-play tiebreaker in there.

Rules for classification: 1) points; 2) total wins; 3) total goal differential; 4) total goals scored; 5) disciplinary points; 6) away goal differential; 7) away goals scored ; 😎 home goals scored; 9) home goal differential; 10) coin toss or drawing of lots.

20 hours ago, Lofty said:

The people making these rules are absolute morons. How could somebody that dumb be given that job?

Ditto for the people who are currently meddling with the rulebook. Recent handball and offside rule changes in particular are ridiculous. Football was already the hardest sport in the world to officiate and they keep making it harder. And as for kick offs that can now go backwards: yeah, having to go forwards was a MASSIVE problem, glad they got that one sorted!

I was with you until the last one. It wasn't a massive problem, but why not change it? Do you miss the tap forward on kick offs? Nobody misses it. 

16 hours ago, Stanley said:

So here's a random question.  On the CPL app we accrue all of these points that we can redeem for "things".  I wonder if they will have anything worthwhile to redeem soon?

Not if you are a neutral fan. I entered pretty much anything that did come on offer and have never won anything. There was one give away if you had a certain amount of points last month or the month before. I was 50 out before it closed. There were so many glitches on my app early on where it simply didnt register any of my article or video clicks. Its still doesn't always work. 

I know they have done team specific competitions. Annoyingly you cant enter those as a neutral either. Ironically in contrast at one soccer you have to pick a favourite team and neutral isnt an option.

Guess I cant have my cake and eat it. Hmmm cake. 

The annoying thing about the points is that if you read articles on the website instead of the app, you don't get the points. Early on I was reading things on my desktop, then later that day would open up the app and see the same articles. I would click them to open them up just to get the points. Eventually I stopped going through that hassle.

24 minutes ago, Kent said:

The annoying thing about the points is that if you read articles on the website instead of the app, you don't get the points. Early on I was reading things on my desktop, then later that day would open up the app and see the same articles. I would click them to open them up just to get the points. Eventually I stopped going through that hassle.

This is my issue precisely. I spend much of my soccer-browsing time on a computer, not a phone.

45 minutes ago, narduch said:

I've said this in another thread, but the fee seems high. Which might actually mean that the One Soccer deal and other sponsorship deals are substantial.

Aldo, have you noticed how teams and the league keeps adding sponsors? 

Yes, the different revenue streams must be substantial overhaul. If investors are willing to pay it, that means that they feel it's worth their while at that price

25 minutes ago, narduch said:

The local Toronto Italian TV news program did a 3.5 minute piece on the CPL. Its mostly in Italian except for the parts with Molinaro and the Commish 

I don't understand Italian but it was still worth a watch. Clanachan spoke briefly about expansion. Said he would be happy if they can announce 1 new team this year, there are 3 or 4 further along than others, but about 18 cities/groups/clubs that they have had talks with.

So it sounds like next season there won't be more than 8 teams (and could very well be 7 still), but hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer beyond that to grow more.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

I don't understand Italian but it was still worth a watch. Clanachan spoke briefly about expansion. Said he would be happy if they can announce 1 new team this year, there are 3 or 4 further along than others, but about 18 cities/groups/clubs that they have had talks with.

So it sounds like next season there won't be more than 8 teams (and could very well be 7 still), but hopefully we don't have to wait too much longer beyond that to grow more.

I'm getting confused by the numbers I hear sometimes - I thought there was some other interview where he said there were ~40 other groups they had talks with (seemed unbelievable at the time).  Maybe I'm just misremembering it and he said 20.

Edited by Gopherbashi

On 7/12/2019 at 12:39 PM, Kent said:

speaking of points, is there somewhere that they post who won each points contest in the app?  I'd like to know if anyone I know has won.  Also, there have been almost no opportunities to redeem points as a Winnipeg fan, since the season started. Have there been more opportunities in other cities?  There were a couple of chances to redeem 5000 points for a cpl scarf, and one chance to enter for a Canada day cpl shirt, and that has been it.  I've got nearly 7000 points and I'm not sure what I am going to do with them.  There might not be any point in earning any more points.

This link might work better than the one above:

David Clanachan definitely didn't sound too upbeat (the important words to catch on that is the way he used "like" and "happy") about having an eighth team starting by next year and it's getting very late in the day for that. I would guess the three or four that are further ahead are Laval, Quebec City, Saskatoon and Langley, BC.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot