CPL General

23 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

800px-Alcan_logo.svg.png

Image result for candu reactor logo

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So if Cavalry win today and then get at least a draw vs. Forge on Sunday, the league is theirs. Is that correct?

Meaning they may be able to celebrate the first CPL trophy with a result vs. a direct rival.

What would they get?

Even if they lose today, a win on Saturday gives them the Spring season.

Edited by narduch

16 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Eh. I'm stil very, very much against "CanPL", personally. No other Canadian league (CFL, CHL, etc.), organization (RCAF, RCN, RCMP, etc.), business (CBC, CTV, etc.) or group (CNIB, etc.) *ever* abbreviates "Canada"/"Canadian" to "Can". In my opinion, #CPLorbust. 

Candu reactors?

Not to get stuck on this point, but: 

1) CANDU is admittedly an example, but I think we can all agree it's very, very much the exception rather than the rule. Frankly, I don't see any reason to deviate from the rule. 

2) For Twitter (and other forms of social media), I've never understood why the hashtag didn't match the handle. @CPLsoccer makes perfect sense and reminds me of @MLSsoccer distinguishing itself from the MLS realty company. It's seems a bit stupid to not have one consistent approach. 

3) As for being distinctive . . . the image isn't a perfect proxy, but you get the point. 😋

Unique.png

14 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

3) As for being distinctive . . . the image isn't a perfect proxy, but you get the point. 😋

Unique.png

No,I don't "get" the point because it is ridiculous. In the world of marketing, being unique and distinctive is priceless. Anything that helps avoid brand-confusion is to be embraced.

Why are you arguing so hard to suppress and confuse the league brand? 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:22 AM, ted said:

No,I don't "get" the point because it is ridiculous. In the world of marketing, being unique and distinctive is priceless. Anything that helps avoid brand-confusion is to be embraced.

Why are you arguing so hard to suppress and confuse the league brand? 

I'd only agree with a major qualification. Being unique is crucial in the world of marketing, but only if that brand and messaging resonates with your target audience. From my view, having a hashtag that's counterintuitive leaves me concerned about its resonance the casual fan. 

As for arguing brand suppression and confusion, I'm doing nothing of the sort. The league itself uses the abbreviation "CPL" in almost all of its online articles, in its social media handles, in the name of the app, and in the name of the online shop. And CBC, TSN, Sportsnet and even One Soccer all use "CPL" as well, which further leads me to believe that "CanPL" just isn't resonating. "CPL" is the the more intuitive abbreviation and, like it or not, has become the de facto standard. It really only seems to be for the web address and the hashtag that "CanPL" is pushed.

I'm not arguing to suppress the brand or create confusion; I'm arguing that the league should ditch "CanPL" and stick with "CPL"/@CPLsoccer to keep one consistent, intuitive brand and eliminate confusion. 

Edited by m-g-williams

3 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

I'd only agree with a major qualification. Being unique is crucial in the world of marketing, but only if that brand and messaging resonates with your target audience. From my view, having a hashtag that's counterintuitive leaves me concerned about its resonance the casual fan. 

As for arguing brand suppression and confusion, I'm doing nothing of the sort. The league itself uses the abbreviation "CPL" in almost all of its online articles, in its social media handles, in the name of the app, and in the name of the online shop. And CBC, TSN, Sportsnet and even One Soccer all use "CPL" as well, which further leads me to believe that "CanPL" just isn't resonating. "CPL" is the the more intuitive abbreviation and, like it or not, has become the de facto standard. It really only seems to be for the web address and the hashtag that "CanPL" is pushed.

I'm not arguing to suppress the brand or create confusion; I'm arguing that the league should ditch "CanPL" and stick with "CPL"/@CPLsoccer to keep one consistent, intuitive brand and eliminate confusion. 

Check out the hashtag for our women's national team, and ask why it works better than #CWNT

Any thoughts on some GC players who could do a job in CPL? I really liked what I saw from Juan Barrera and Byron Bonilla of Nicaragua, while Lejuan Simmons and Leverock of Bermuda were really good too.  A few Guyanese players lookd quality as well.

Also looks like Trinidad could have used some CPL guys on their roster *insert Kermit meme*

Edited by VinceA

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Any thoughts on some GC players who could do a job in CPL? I really liked what I saw from Juan Barrera and Byron Bonilla of Nicaragua, while Lejuan Simmons and Leverock of Bermuda were really good too.  A few Guyanese players lookd quality as well.

Also looks like Trinidad could have used some CPL guys on their roster *insert Kermit meme*

Djimy Alexis would be a good score for any team. Only 21 and plays in Haiti, so will be looking to move up a league for sure.

There are definitely some guys in the Gold Cup for the lower/mid level teams that should interest CPL teams. However, I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are not equally, if not more interested, in joining the CPL. Watching Guyana-T and T and Valour-HFX kind of side by side there is, other then the broadcast quality/stadium, no real obvious gap in caliber. So I have no doubt that joining the CPL would be a great domestic opportunity for many of these guys. 

Edited by ktf

Bad news all around on the soccer coverage front with that news. I was curious about that because he tweeted that he watched the last TFC game from the stands rather than the press box.

Sportsnet has been making a ton of layoffs lately, with even Bob McCown being let go. They had also previously let James Sharman go following the loss of their EPL coverage.

This is already in the BC thread but I'm adding it here due to it's link to CPL

Interesting quotes

1-Further, CSB by their full acquisition of League One Ontario, has publicly demonstrated the importance they place on the layers below CPL environments. The decision to purchase Ontario’s tier 3 league was inspired by the need to provide OPDL (Ontario’s BCSPL equivalent) with a connective pathway to the Canadian Premier League, in the country’s most populated province with the largest player pool. Based on discussions with, Canadian Soccer Business, we understand their strategy is to have similar arrangements across Canada, which bodes well for BC Soccer as we work to establish our BC League 1. 

So...

1. Launch the league
  2. Make it functional and viable
  3. Sell it to CPL

2-Furthermore, BC Soccer is aware, based on discussion with Canada Soccer, that FIFA is trying to move its Confederations away from cross border competition which will inevitably may lead to a sanctioning issue.

Tic-toc on Canadian teams in USSF sanctioned leagues?

3-Rumored teams

Rumored clubs

• Whitecaps U23 - (Playing at University of British Columbia)
  • Vancouver 86ers (Swanguard Stadium, Burnaby)
  • Tri-Cities (Coquitlam, Port Coquitlam & Port Moody)
  • Surrey/Langley
  • TSS Rovers* (move to Richmond)
  • Victoria Highlanders*
  • Nanaimo+
  • Kamloops+Kelowna/Penticton/Okanagan+

*Pending CSA approval of Canadian Championship berth

+Unconfirmed ownership

Edited by Ansem

Well, had to know it was coming.  I still hold out hope VAR will improve to the point where we'll be looking backwards and wondering how we ever did without it but that may be a ways into the future yet.  

Never know though.  Technology changes everything practically overnight all the time.  Can see the day where the linesmen (showing my age) aren't calling offsides anymore.  Hell, they're being discouraged from calling it already.

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I hope they do it similar to rugby. Have the referee radio a VAR official right away to get clarification and then deliver the decision.

What? You don't like watching refs stand for 3 minutes with their fingers in their ears and then make a sixty-yard run across the field to look at a TV screen?