CPL new teams speculation

Because I'm a stand up guy...on occasions

Miki Turner is as legit as it comes

https://socceresq.com/2019/02/05/ottawa-fury-begin-2019-in-usl-but-will-they-end-the-year-there/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Ottawa was clearly a desired team for Montagliani and the CPL, but last July, Fury President and CEO Mark Goudie declined to join for the 2019 season, citing previous commitments and the stability of the USL. The Fury’s agreement with USL requires six months advance notice should they decide to withdraw from the league, according to sources with knowledge of the arrangement.

So my next question, and I recognize this might be a silly question, is what is six months advance notice? As in, is that 6 months before the end of the 2019 season, the end of 2019 itself, the day they release 2020 schedules (whatever that is), the start of the 2020 season, etc. 

21 hours ago, Ansem said:

Best scenario is for either CONCACAF to force the Fury in CPL or for them to join in 2020 as an 8 team league willingly 

That allows Quebec City, Laval and Saskatoon to do it right and join in 2021

Fury will eventually end up in CPL is my guess but CONCACAF won’t be forcing them into the league. 

23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I would like the Fury to willfully join the league, not be "forced" to do so.

I guess some people love losing money.

Goudie himself had claimed that they needed attendance between 7,000 to 10,000 to break even or be profitable...

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/ottawacitizen.com/sports/soccer/ottawas-fury-road-five-years-in-can-pro-soccer-find-its-footing-in-the-capital/amp

Goudie says the targeted attendance of 7,500-10,000 would make Fury FC profitable, or at least break-even, and he confirms OSEG has “invested” $15 million in start-up costs, two league entry fees and operating losses through five seasons.

Fury automatic season ticket renewals are in a few weeks and there has been no indication given that the Fury will be in a league other than the USL Championship.  If they were going to be in the CPL, wouldn’t they want to promote that?  It’s a shame.

Edited by JamboAl

Fury maybe for 2021 more likely 22. Wasn't that long ago DeGuzman poo-pooed the idea. 

I don't think they should be forced out of the USL, its like pressuring an angry teenager to clean their room, they will just dig their heels in and be more defiant. Just ensure they have a cap and can only play in USL1. 

Ironically they will likely save a ton of money jumping to CPL now. The buy in by the time they swallow pride or want in will be far higher.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Fury maybe for 2021 more likely 22. Wasn't that long ago DeGuzman poo-pooed the idea. 

I don't think they should be forced out of the USL, its like pressuring an angry teenager to clean their room, they will just dig their heels in and be more defiant. Just ensure they have a cap and can only play in USL1. 

Ironically they will likely save a ton of money jumping to CPL now. The buy in by the time they swallow pride or want in will be far higher.

Lol.  Not sure about your situation, but when I was told to clean my room, becoming more defiant was not really an attractive option. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As I see it, there was a CSA and Concacaf decision last fall. Fury were given a year's respite. Unless they think they have a legitimate legal case, the CSA and Concacaf have to simply remind them of a decision that has already been taken and await compliance.

Yet they have contractual obligations with another league. I'd love to see them joining sooner than later, but I also sorta get where they're coming rom, having invested in a failed league before. USL Championship is solid, CanPL is still in it's early stages with lot's of uncertainty. 

54 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Yet they have contractual obligations with another league. I'd love to see them joining sooner than later, but I also sorta get where they're coming rom, having invested in a failed league before. USL Championship is solid, CanPL is still in it's early stages with lot's of uncertainty. 

I am no lawyer, and I have no access to the specific contract in question, but it would seem highly probable that their obligations to USL would be subject to them receiving the necessary approvals from the governing authorities (CONCACAF, CSA, and maybe USSF).  Since sanctioning is beyond their control, it seems like the contract would have to recognize and account for this.  Any lawyer doing due diligence on the draft agreement would have to flag this and make sure it is built into the terms of the agreement.  Thus I would be surprised if their "obligations" are, in fact, legally compelling in the event that sanctioning is withheld.   

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

Which is why no teams ever break agreements with USL. And why that league has numerous cases on the go pursuing these wayward clubs.  Or not? 

12 hours ago, shamrock said:

They're obigations are year by year and they have to gove 6 months notice. USL meets with USSF early Sept usually to give the committed lineup for the following year when they apply for sanctioning each year. It should be definitely known in the next couple of weeks if they were giving notice and switching to CPL for 2020.

I don't hold out hope for this year that there will be any last minute changing of the minds with OSEG personally.

If Canada has a fully pro D1 there are no obvious exceptional circumstances for any Canadian pro team to be playing in a USSF sanctioned league at this point beyond being grandfathered in, so going after the Fury opens up a can of worms that the CSA and USSF won't want opened up. If Victor Montagliani wasn't part of the equation at the CONCACAF level this would have been a complete non-issue last year.

3 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

If Canada has a fully pro D1 there are no obvious exceptional circumstances for any Canadian pro team to be playing in a USSF sanctioned league at this point beyond being grandfathered in, so going after the Fury opens up a can of worms that the CSA and USSF won't want opened up. If Victor Montagliani wasn't part of the equation at the CONCACAF level this would have been a complete non-issue last year.

It's easier to go after the Fury than MLS due to the "Single entity" nature of the league.

It's very easy for all parties to raise that point, certainly from MLS and the 3 clubs.

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Which is why no teams ever break agreements with USL. And why that league has numerous cases on the go pursuing these wayward clubs.  Or not? 

At a cost though. Assuming here they've already lost some money with NASL I could understand them being hesitant. 

Regarding the legality of it all I honestly don't have a clue.