CPL new teams speculation

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Our stadiums are actually designed, apart from those two, to not create any equivalence with MLS at all. They actually say CPL does not want to rival MLS, as I see it.

That's shite. Stadium size is simply a result of recognizing of where these teams are at the moment and existing infrastructure, not an indication of where these clubs hope to be in the future. Nobody is going to invest an irrecuperable amount until they know how the league will be received. 

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

The only thing they care about is their bottom line. They care if their attendances, merchandise sales, sponsors and season tickets numbers at the very least stays the same for the most parts or increases while costs go down

Don't forget costs and the revenue generated from selling an MLS franchise. It's all about predicting where the market is going, and I think a growing number of Canadians are becoming interested in CPL

Edited by Aird25

Buble is from Burnaby.  Has no links to Fraser Valley.  Can only think that Ron Toigo, Rob Friend and probably one more investor are leading the charge in Langley.  Will be interesting to see how crowds get there as the rumoured skytrain expansion to Langley and Willowbrook won’t complete until 2025.

39 minutes ago, nolbertos said:

Buble is from Burnaby.  Has no links to Fraser Valley.  Can only think that Ron Toigo, Rob Friend and probably one more investor are leading the charge in Langley.  Will be interesting to see how crowds get there as the rumoured skytrain expansion to Langley and Willowbrook won’t complete until 2025.

Likely by car, as most drive in the area/suburbs. There's already lots of parking at the roughly 5300 seat arena that's on the LEC site, and its just a few minutes off the freeway. Probably the club will run a shuttle as well from Surrey on game days.

5 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

Likely by car, as most drive in the area/suburbs. There's already lots of parking at the roughly 5300 seat arena that's on the LEC site, and its just a few minutes off the freeway. Probably the club will run a shuttle as well from Surrey on game days.

There is an express shuttle that runs from right there to braid skytrain. I know a lot of Whitecaps fans who use it to get to games

1 hour ago, SpursFlu said:

Giant spit ball here... I wonder if Ron Toigo and Michael Buble are involved? Toigo is old school Canada so I doubt he has much interest in soccer but Buble is a big soccer fan. Just a thought 

I'm the same age as Buble and we grew up relatively close to one another in Burnaby. I have no recollection of him playing any youth football growing up. He definitely wasn't at either of the big North Burnaby clubs (Cliff Ave and Norburn/Burnaby Heights). I suppose he might have been at Wesburn, even if it was a bit further from home, or he might have developed a love of the game strictly from watching.

4 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I'm the same age as Buble and we grew up relatively close to one another in Burnaby. I have no recollection of him playing any youth football growing up. He definitely wasn't at either of the big North Burnaby clubs (Cliff Ave and Norburn/Burnaby Heights). I suppose he might have been at Wesburn, even if it was a bit further from home, or he might have developed a love of the game strictly from watching.

He married an Argentine and him and his family are often at the Whitecaps games. Kinda like Aqualini, I dont ever recal his family being involved with footie but his ex is Italian Italian and as a result I heard he got in to footy because his kids are crazy in to football

Edited by SpursFlu

All the way through the CanPL saga people have been doing that, so posters online have been led to believe things were two or three years ahead of where they really were. The hold up will probably be on the stadium approval and who pays for it. Good to see investors are not being scared off by the norm on actual crowds being closer to 3000 than 8000.

Isn't any kinda information outside of the league and team officially announcing considered pre mature? Isnt that the whole point of the tweet? And isn't someone in the know calling it premature actually then confirming the information is correct but saying the information is being released premature to when people actually wanted the information released.

6 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Ozzie- is there something your trying to show here?

Just the usual schtick eh? Even forgetting his 2 target numbers are just arbitrary ones he picked out of his ass, 3 teams are closer to 8000, 4 are closer to 3000.  League average of 4500.