CPL new teams speculation

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Looks like Ottawa are willing to play chicken with Concacaf and potentially play the victim card. Kinda like a slum lord hanging on to a run down piece of real estate and fighting city hall

Its a shame that Ottawa soccer fans are dragged in and forced to pick sides in a proxy war being waged by MLS/MLSE on CPL/Concacaf on their turf

Proxy war is right. I think you’re onto something there. 

I think you'll see the Fury join CPL for the 2022 season. By that point, they'll have been in the USL for 5 years and the CPL will have been through three years of operations. If the CPL is stable and growing, I can't see why OSEG wouldn't join CPL at that point.

Think the USL franchises go through 5 year cycles in terms of how they are structured (Nipun Chopra has blogged at length on this subject), so it might the obvious time to do another move.

Meanwhile in Vancouver this is what Nick Dasovic has to say:

https://www.eightysixforever.com/2019/8/1/20747967/1-on-1-with-whitecaps-development-squad-head-coach-nick-dasovic

...If tomorrow we could have a team in the CPL for example, that would be great. But until something like that actually happens, if it does happen, we’re going to continue working in this environment and going in this direction. I think we’re going to make the best of it. For example, I think we have seven players right now who made the final roster for the U-17 national team, and a lot of that has to do with the experiences they got through the development program playing against high level opponents. So the players are getting a lot out of it, which is exactly what we need them to do.”

Skeptical that's ever happening, but interesting that it still appears to be a talking point for the Whitecaps.

We aren't going to see the whitecaps II in the CPL but at best maybe a whitecaps affiliation team with the Surrey start up, like Fresno but with a relationship that works. Still don't see that working for the CSA. Would whitecaps just pull their own players for V cup matches?

An open loan market between MLS/CPL teams is still the best route as the league grows. 

If we get to the point of having pro/rel in the CPL, and thus have enough teams for 2+ divisions, I am supportive of the Spanish (and presumably others) kind of model where the biggest teams have a second team that cannot be promoted, cannot play in the Voyageurs Cup, etc. But we're so far away from that point that I don't think it's especially relevant. 

1 hour ago, Viruk42 said:

If we get to the point of having pro/rel in the CPL, and thus have enough teams for 2+ divisions, I am supportive of the Spanish (and presumably others) kind of model where the biggest teams have a second team that cannot be promoted, cannot play in the Voyageurs Cup, etc. But we're so far away from that point that I don't think it's especially relevant. 

I know we've talked in the past about having 24 teams, but what about just simply 12 teams for D1 and 12 teams for D2.  (Instead of East/Central/West as discussed before).   

Just for curiosity where do you see 24 teams (and the population cutoff)??

Probably not a popular view, but I'd personally want to see a 12-16 team, closed Div 1 and then have the regional semi-pro leagues serve as a collective Div 2 with pro-rel to lower leagues, kind of like in Australia. As much as I'd love to see full pro-rel in Canada, I think geography, population and infrastructure just aren't in our favour. 

Let the public lynching begin! 

I'm very disappointed to come to this feed in search of CPL new teams speculation and only find a boring debate on a franchise/league entry/membership fee. 

Who actually really cares about that?   I suspect very few people, including the ones debating about it.  But in reality, there is nothing else to talk about on this thread.

The bigger story here is the lack of news coming from the league about new teams.  If the league is withholding info than shame on them, but I suspect the issue is more serious.  I hope I'm wrong but I wonder if interest from quality ownership groups is the problem.  I, for one, am losing interest in this league by the day.  Being a football fan in Vancouver has never been much worse and I would jump at the change to cancel my Whitecaps tickets and jump to a CPL team.

I am digging deep for news and finding very little except for rumours. 

DR FITZ: Check out the thread on Saskatoon for latest on what seems to be the expansion spot that has the most "smoke".  And maybe there is no news to dig for, maybe there wont be an 8th team for next year.  Is that the worst thing that can happen? 

How can you be losing interest now?  Exciting things going on every day, new milestones for the league.  What would interest you?  And if you are in Vancouver and cant find a CPL team to root for, well I guess its true you can lead a horse to water but u cant make it drink.  

4 hours ago, m-g-williams said:

Probably not a popular view, but I'd personally want to see a 12-16 team, closed Div 1 and then have the regional semi-pro leagues serve as a collective Div 2 with pro-rel to lower leagues, kind of like in Australia. As much as I'd love to see full pro-rel in Canada, I think geography, population and infrastructure just aren't in our favour. 

As much as I typically prefer pro/rel, I actually think that your suggested model is the best and most realistic option available to us in Canada. 

I am still of the opinion that to have more than 10 or so pro teams, it would help greatly if it can be done by committee. Meaning the bottom few CPL teams would essentially be 2nd tier teams that are in their golden years. I feel like it would be better/more entertaining to be supporting a 2nd division team that has the occasional great season and moves up to the CPL with some fanbase momentum for some number of years, and possibly is in exciting relegation battles, rather than to support a team that consistently fails to do well in the CPL, never has those lower tier winning seasons, and doesn't have the drama of trying to stay up in the CPL.

Attendance and results on the field are both things that fluctuate. One often follows the other. So while the bottom CPL teams are having some darker times and losing fans they can go down to 2nd tier and regroup, have some winning seasons and get that momentum back and come back to the CPL stronger. So you can have many teams having their good years and their bad years at different times.

Now whether we can have enough teams for a viable D2, that's a tougher thing.

Let's focus on maintaining and/or growing the CPL. D2 is a long way off if it even ever happens.

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

DR FITZ: Check out the thread on Saskatoon for latest on what seems to be the expansion spot that has the most "smoke".  And maybe there is no news to dig for, maybe there wont be an 8th team for next year.  Is that the worst thing that can happen? 

All we have is smoke and nothing solid from the league.  That is the problem

1 hour ago, DrFitzpatrick said:

All we have is smoke and nothing solid from the league.  That is the problem

Not a problem for me. Spend the season doing all your due diligence and early preparation so that you have a solid addition. Then announce it between the end of the Fall Season and the championship.

As a fan wanting news? Frustrating as hell. Just like the 3 years leading up to the start of the league when we were all desperate for something more than outside speculation. But, at the same time, it gave me confidence that things were being done the right way.

On 8/2/2019 at 5:10 PM, m-g-williams said:

I've talked to a lot of people in the Impact fan club and they feel the CPL will get to 16 teams max.

The only way I could see pro/rel work in a Canadian context is if there is a "split" with a top 8 bottom 8

Like in Scotland.

Just a thought.

FWIW there have been discussions in Australia for setting up a national second division - the Australian Championship

On 12/8/2017 at 8:52 AM, Macksam said:

BBTB’s tropes for every 10 or so posts:

1) Mention how the vision is now 200,000 markets rather than a “CFL version” of soccer....whatever this means. I guess he’s trying to imply it will be small scale across the board.

2) Mention how PB banking on getting 4000-6000 paid attendance is scary.

LOL...ohhhhhh soo scary!!  

Edited by Bison44

29 minutes ago, Lofty said:

I will be disappointed if CPL do not manage to add another team for 2020.

One additional team per year is all I ask. That would be steady progress.

I'm a little concerned at talk of increased "expansion" fees. That sounds to me like the original 7 protecting turf. That would be very short sighted and is not the way forward.

All 7 teams had been announced by this time last year, but there was tons of work to do with Pacific and halifax venues.  If there is something up with Saskatoon they'll have to get on it soon, even if its just going to be some extra stands thrown up at Prairieland.  Maybe after another good showing in the game next week (think positive dudes) they'll have built up the momentum and we still might see everything fall into place for Saskatoon next year. 

Also, are we sure we arent going to run into another sanctioning  debacle come the fall like last year?  

On 8/3/2019 at 8:29 PM, CanSuffer said:

Not a problem for me. Spend the season doing all your due diligence and early preparation so that you have a solid addition. Then announce it between the end of the Fall Season and the championship.

As a fan wanting news? Frustrating as hell. Just like the 3 years leading up to the start of the league when we were all desperate for something more than outside speculation. But, at the same time, it gave me confidence that things were being done the right way.

As an alternate, look at what happened to the NASL. They announced several teams that never signed a player, and allowed in some clubs that folded within two years. CanPL is being prudent and cautious and I can't blame them with the NA soccer history against them.

I found this article on the net, it is in French, but basically it is about a team called Dymano Quebec that has an eye on participating in the CPL. Anyone know more about it? the name of the club is extremely attractive : It reminds me of the name of the Soviet clubs and of  the former  clubs  of the Eastern Bloc countries : Le Dynamo de Québec

https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/le-dynamo-de-quebec-a-un-il-sur-la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-video-c4267e61d1f6fb3e6a4aac9477713b12

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

I found this article on the net, it is in French, but basically it is about a team called Dymano Quebec that has an eye on participating in the CPL. Anyone know more about it? the name of the club is extremely attractive : It reminds me of the name of the Soviet clubs and of  the former  clubs  of the Eastern Bloc countries : Le Dynamo de Québec

https://www.lesoleil.com/sports/le-dynamo-de-quebec-a-un-il-sur-la-premiere-ligue-canadienne-video-c4267e61d1f6fb3e6a4aac9477713b12

It’s been discussed and the team actually says they can’t launch a CPL club because they don’t have the money. They say the would love to work with a group in QC and become the academy for a CPL club. They actually may drop out of the PLSQ because they’re losing money but that they’re contracted to remain for another (?) season.

Eight for 2020 is naught to complain about.  I'd call it more than a success.  Especially if it isn't Ottawa. 

Not because I don't want Ottawa in any shape or form in the league, exactly the opposite, it's just that I think it's inevitable.  Other markets not so much.

Eight for 2020.  Good, good.   Here's hoping!  😀 

7 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

It would be interesting to hear the exact quote regarding the 8th team for next year.  "We're committed to working towards it" is a lot different from "We have a commitment from an 8th team for next year".

He made similar strong statements about having 8 at launch. Is he likely to ever actually say that they are struggling to put all the pieces together and may have to stick with 7 for now? 

Edit: bizarre stuff quoted a few posts above. It was 6000 to 8000 that was being mentioned on crowds a couple of years ago not 4000 to 6000, and the emphasis on Saskatoon in Saskatchewan shows how things have shifted away from a CFL stadium approach. CanPL as it is now in many ways is a lot closer to what I was advocating a couple of years ago than what some of the over-zealous fanboy types wanted but they are never going to admit that.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot