CPL new teams speculation

https://www.forbes.com/sites/manuelveth/2019/08/26/pacific-fc-german-experience-at-the-core-of-canadian-premier-league-project/#7b4e565f11f7

Really nice article to read, but this part stands out for this thread:

"There is no doubt that expansion is coming, and the likely date will be 2021 for another two or three clubs to be added. “It has to be done in the right venue, the right ownership group, and the right leaders,” Friend says. “There are seven or eight groups at the table that we know of right now that want teams in this league. To be sustainable as a league, you have to have the right ownership group.”

Confirming what we all had expected by this point; no new teams for next year.

49 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/manuelveth/2019/08/26/pacific-fc-german-experience-at-the-core-of-canadian-premier-league-project/#7b4e565f11f7

Really nice article to read, but this part stands out for this thread:

"There is no doubt that expansion is coming, and the likely date will be 2021 for another two or three clubs to be added. “It has to be done in the right venue, the right ownership group, and the right leaders,” Friend says. “There are seven or eight groups at the table that we know of right now that want teams in this league. To be sustainable as a league, you have to have the right ownership group.”

And also where it says that the money from the MediaPro deal allows them to wait on expansion 

This mean that the 7 owners are happy with their cut and are comfortable at getting the same cut next season before having to share it with new teams.

Another sign of the financial health of the league thus far

14 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Best scenario is for either CONCACAF to force the Fury in CPL or for them to join in 2020 as an 8 team league willingly 

I felt the same way for a long time, and may even get there again, but right now I just don’t give a shit about Fury in any capacity.   I hope CPL moves ahead and continues to grow without them.  

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Would be interesting to know whether the league as a whole is in the red or black in year one. Surely Valour, Forge, and HFX are in the black. If not then I would be very concerned about long term viability.

The other 4 definitely look iffy based on attendance numbers thus far, although in a new venture one would hope they have planned for that. However, do the various sponsorship deals take them into the black? Would be nice to know.

With WFC being community owned, we might get some transparency on those numbers, for Valour at least.

Some more variety in kit sponsors would be nice - especially ones not as tied to the league.

The worry would be that OneSoccer & Macron are kit sponsors only because no one else was interested.

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

An 8th team would have made the schedule cleaner, but I’m happy with another season like this. It’s been fun. We might as well get it right this time instead of getting tangled up with the wrong groups

I could go for a second helping.  Maybe not entirely as is, would like a little more sugar with my Valour, but I'm good.   

2 hours ago, Lofty said:

Would be interesting to know whether the league as a whole is in the red or black in year one. Surely Valour, Forge, and HFX are in the black. If not then I would be very concerned about long term viability.

The other 4 definitely look iffy based on attendance numbers thus far, although in a new venture one would hope they have planned for that. However, do the various sponsorship deals take them into the black? Would be nice to know.

With WFC being community owned, we might get some transparency on those numbers, for Valour at least.

Really, REALLY, interested in seeing what Valour is paying to use IGF.  A hint at how ancillaries are divided up would be nice to know as well. 

42 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Some more variety in kit sponsors would be nice - especially ones not as tied to the league.

The worry would be that OneSoccer & Macron are kit sponsors only because no one else was interested.

I would hope that companies like CDN Tire or Westjet get on board.  Where is Bank of Nova Scotia?? They need to be on the Halifax kits. Magna, Manulife, the Potash company on the new Saskatoon selects kits.   Loblaw, Bombardier, Suncor....Shopper drug mart...has to be a few that will sponsor a shirt now that the first year is almost in the books.  WIth a salary cap rumored under a million, getting 100g's from a shirt sponsor would really help balance the books.  BMO pays 4mil each to Impact and TFC.  

7 hours ago, Lofty said:

I would say Cavs are up there with any team for revenue. Average around 3500 attendance, but the ticket prices are much higher then most the league. 3500 tickets at spruce is probably good for 5K+ elsewhere. Then you factor in the major pay days from the whitecaps and Impact games. Also they own their venue so no rent, all beer/food sales is straight in their pockets. 

5 hours ago, Reign said:

I would say Cavs are up there with any team for revenue. Average around 3500 attendance, but the ticket prices are much higher then most the league. 3500 tickets at spruce is probably good for 5K+ elsewhere. Then you factor in the major pay days from the whitecaps and Impact games. Also they own their venue so no rent, all beer/food sales is straight in their pockets. 

Plus all the merchandise they are selling.

I am sure all clubs are selling their fair share of apparel, but has any club ran out of scarfs yet?

Seriously. I waited to long and now they are sold out. Kinda funny, but a good sign for sales when you completely run out of an item.

16 hours ago, Gopherbashi said:

I don't want to be too picky, but this is not confirmation. It is the Forbes writer's opinion. Yes, based likely on the interview with Friend, but it's not a quote of Friend. I do think expansion is not likely until 2021 as we've not heard any announcements of teams yet for 2020 and it's getting closer to that having to happen. Ottawa? Who knows what's happening out of the public's view.

16 hours ago, Ansem said:

Best scenario is for either CONCACAF to force the Fury in CPL or for them to join in 2020 as an 8 team league willingly 

That allows Quebec City, Laval and Saskatoon to do it right and join in 2021

I'm not sure I see either of those scenarios happening in the off-season. Fury didn't opt out of USL before the deadline and Montigliani won't try to force it again unless there is a real worry that the CPL will fold unless the Fury are forced to join. Right now the league looks to be in a pretty good spot for it's first year and Forge is giving a good account of themselves in continental play. So long as the CanPL announces new teams joining by the start of the 2020 season, things will be looking optimistic.

8 minutes ago, Initial B said:

Fury didn't opt out of USL before the deadline

Do you/we have any evidence to support (or reject) that? I don't even think I've seen anything that clearly says when the deadline is/was, so I'm admittedly wary of any firm statements about the Fury's league for 2020.