CPL new teams speculation

Although 8 teams is not as good as 10, or 12, or whatever, it is pretty ideal from a scheduling perspective. First off, a league with an even number of teams won't need to schedule as many matchdays (because no byes). Second, a 28 game season would now be one where every team plays each other team 4 times. Should they choose to do so (and they should), you could have a balanced spring and balanced fall season of 1 home and 1 away against each side.

The numbers guy side of me finds this very satisfying.

I wouldn't count out the Fraser Valley. Not Surrey, way too tough to get anything done in Surrey. Politically that place is a mess. Langley on the other hand has lots on the go and plenty of land. Was out there last week for work and the amount of residential and commercial development around the LEC where the Jr hockey team plays is stunning. I could see a pop up stadium with a long term stadium in mind. I think that was kinda the rumour before they jumped to the Island anyways 

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

...Was out there last week for work and the amount of residential and commercial development around the LEC where the Jr hockey team plays is stunning....

There was a guy on Reddit claiming recently that the foundations had already been put in there for a possible CanPL related grandstand. Relevant links are probably a few pages back in this thread

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was a guy on Reddit claiming recently that the foundations had already been put in there for a possible CanPL related grandstand. Relevant links are probably a few pages back in this thread

This guy was talking about the land around the Langley Events Centre which is actually township of Langley rather than Langley City.

The township of Langley also has a small 2200 seat stadium called McLeod Stadium which with some work could be a CanPL facility.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/McLeod+Athletic+Park/@49.1067055,-122.6276136,746m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5485ce3932add5ab:0x303ae0547feebd33!8m2!3d49.1064316!4d-122.6251674?hl=en

1 hour ago, vancanman said:

Yea,  but the airport across the road would add to the atmosphere.

Its a nice little facility. I've played there a few times. The location is a little rural with a big focus on community activities including football. So I doubt they would invest in removing gridiron lines and limiting community access

• 2 weeks later...

Niagara Falls FC announced😉

Insiders with the Canadian Premier League state that the league was courted by a number of franchises including Red Deer, Nelson, Timmins, Fort Hope, Lebel-sur-Quevillon, La Romaine, and the Fighting Whalers of Port-Menier, Anticosti Island.

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2019/8/21/canadian-premier-league-announces-expansion-to-buffalo-new-york

4 hours ago, red card said:

Insiders with the Canadian Premier League state that the league was courted by a number of franchises including Red Deer, Nelson, Timmins, Fort Hope, Lebel-sur-Quevillon, La Romaine, and the Fighting Whalers of Port-Menier, Anticosti Island.

https://www.thenutmegnews.com/current/2019/8/21/canadian-premier-league-announces-expansion-to-buffalo-new-york

That's too bad, I was really hoping to cheer for Romaine Lettuce FC ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

7 hours ago, red card said:

My god, the Fighting Whalers of Port-Menier!!

I'd buy that kit in a heartbeat.

All joking aside.. if you look at what LigaMX did with Tijuana and now Juarez, maybe we should be strongly considering Niagara and Windsor. I've never been to either place but really, what's a border? If you look at it from that perspective you have 2 of the largest markets in Canada