CPL new teams speculation

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Huh

They are in the 8th and final playoff spot. 10 points out of a home playoff game with 7 matches left. Sounds like a daunting task. 

That's not the way USL playoffs work. There is a play-in round between 7-10 and 8-9. They would have a home game if they stayed in 8 where they are now, or moved up to 7. If they moved up to 6 (not impossible but maybe a stretch) they would start away and likely never have a home playoff game no matter how far they went. You have the odd situation now where some people don't want them to move up too far so that they have at least one home playoff game. The downside is that if they win the play-in round, they face the first or second seed so might be a short playoff run.  The East is pretty crazy how wide open it is this year.

So I had a discussion with my Fury season ticket guy for my 2020 renewal.  I asked if we would be playing in the USL or CPL.  He was certain it would be USL.  But he thought that if the CPL was successful, then the Fury would possibly join.  I suppose "successful" equals more than one season.  Anyways, I renewed because 1) it's local professional soccer and 2) there are more Canadians in a starting XI than any of the MLS teams will have this season.  I'm going to trust that 2) will remain the same next season.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

After the Q&A, another supporter told me that his ticket rep couldn't tell him which league the Fury would be playing in next year while discussing season ticket renewals. This is interesting because the renewal deadline for Fury season tickets is September 30th and you have to call them if you don't want to renew. Don't USL clubs have to declare if they will be playing in the USL for the 2020 season on that date? 

The USL should know by early September who's in for 2020, as they have to apply for sanctioning from USSF for the following year at that time.

Fury may possibly be trying to play both sides of the fence for season ticket renewals and that's why there not saying which league privately with some as their attendance is down another 3.5% this year from announced vs last year.

4 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

The USL should know by early September who's in for 2020, as they have to apply for sanctioning from USSF for the following year at that time.

Fury may possibly be trying to play both sides of the fence for season ticket renewals and that's why there not saying which league privately with some as their attendance is down another 3.5% this year from announced vs last year.

It's probably more likely the season ticket rep just doesn't know what's going on. Those positions come and go with the wind in my experience. When the CEO of OSEG says something, I would think it is stated pretty deliberately.

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So I had a discussion with my Fury season ticket guy for my 2020 renewal.  I asked if we would be playing in the USL or CPL.  He was certain it would be USL.  But he thought that if the CPL was successful, then the Fury would possibly join.  I suppose "successful" equals more than one season.  Anyways, I renewed because 1) it's local professional soccer and 2) there are more Canadians in a starting XI than any of the MLS teams will have this season.  I'm going to trust that 2) will remain the same next season.

I don’t think anyone on here blames Ottawa locals for supporting the Fury - even despite the crapfest around them and CPL.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone on here blames Ottawa locals for supporting the Fury - even despite the crapfest around them and CPL.  

Don't thinks so either, but hopefully those who want the team in CPL make it known whenever they have a chance, sg/fans would have some sway, no matter how little, especially if they bring "CPL Please" signs to games( like a couple have done previously).

Edited by CDNFootballer

37 minutes ago, PaulV said:

That's not the way USL playoffs work. There is a play-in round between 7-10 and 8-9. They would have a home game if they stayed in 8 where they are now, or moved up to 7. If they moved up to 6 (not impossible but maybe a stretch) they would start away and likely never have a home playoff game no matter how far they went. You have the odd situation now where some people don't want them to move up too far so that they have at least one home playoff game. The downside is that if they win the play-in round, they face the first or second seed so might be a short playoff run.  The East is pretty crazy how wide open it is this year.

Thanks

I was looking at standings on Google and they had a line under the 8th team. So I assumed that was the cut off. 

So I guess USL learned from MLS to have more then 50% of its teams make the playoffs 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:
More smoke on Twitter, he goes on to say Ottawa not likely ever, next will be in Quebec or Lower Mainland.

No new trademarks filed except for some designs that were filed as "pre-formalized" last Friday by CPL Holdings.

Hoping for an 8th club for 2020, would be a negative for the league in a season of positives if there's not at least one club added for next year imo.

Edited by CDNFootballer

53 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not trying to pick at you, but I am pretty sure I heard the same sort of thing from Ottawa fans last year. The reps saying they'll probably join if it is successful. The successful part is pretty open ended. It sounds to me like a sales rep just trying to sell tickets, it doesn't seem like they know the direction of the organization or the state of the relationship with the CPL. 

That being said, although it is incredibly annoying that Ottawa is so stuck in the USL, any club that supports local players is good in my books. If we want soccer to grow in Canada, we need to support our local teams no matter what league they play in. Also for the sake of rivalry... The Fury suck! (It is a weird thing to be a Canadian soccer fan)

21 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

No new trademarks filed except for some designs that were filed as "pre-formalized" last Friday by CPL Holdings.

Hoping for an 8th club for 2020, would be a negative for the league in a season of positives if there's not at least one club added for next year imo.

What designs?

They already have some lower mainland stuff trademarked.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Don't thinks so either, but hopefully those who want the team in CPL make it known whenever they have a chance, sg/fans would have some sway, no matter how little, especially if they bring "CPL Please" signs to games( like a couple have done previously).

Trust me...those who want CPL have made it known to OSEG.

1 hour ago, BFBF said:

Not trying to pick at you, but I am pretty sure I heard the same sort of thing from Ottawa fans last year. The reps saying they'll probably join if it is successful. The successful part is pretty open ended. It sounds to me like a sales rep just trying to sell tickets, it doesn't seem like they know the direction of the organization or the state of the relationship with the CPL. 

That being said, although it is incredibly annoying that Ottawa is so stuck in the USL, any club that supports local players is good in my books. If we want soccer to grow in Canada, we need to support our local teams no matter what league they play in. Also for the sake of rivalry... The Fury suck! (It is a weird thing to be a Canadian soccer fan)

And that's why I used the quotes.  The sales rep seemed more certain about USL than when I spoke to him last about 3-4 weeks ago.  I wasn't not going to renew but they could have doubled their revenue from me if they were to move to the CPL.

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Yes and no.  No in that an expansion announcement during the "Championship" would be positive enough, even if it was confirmed for a 2021 entrant.   

Yes in that my spidey sense will have let me down.  I've been feeling sure that there would be a addition for 2020.  At least one with at least another strong candidate in the wings.  

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

You can take a look at the site - its a few items classified as trademarked for "Goods" so not club names.

As for the Lower Mainland stuff, you mean the old Port City FC stuff?

Does that still work for Langley Township, though? May or may not be in any way relevant, but an interesting thing I saw claimed on Reddit was that Peter Schaad now owns the rights to the Vancouver 86ers trademark and is trying to gain access to Swangard for the new BC D3 league with TSS Rovers moving to Richmond.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

16 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Does that still work for Langley Township, though? May or may not be in any way relevant, but an interesting thing I saw claimed on Reddit was that Peter Schaad now owns the rights to the Vancouver 86ers trademark and is trying to gain access to Swangard for the new BC D3 league with TSS Rovers moving to Richmond.

No, don't see Port City FC working for Langley. That's why I checked for any new Trademarks, could still popup shortly before announcement if this happens though.

Would be great to see the 86ers in League 1 BC, hope it happens.

I think the only reason you look at a team for the Fraser Valley in 2020 is if you're trying to capitalize on the turmoil surrounding the Whitecaps.  But if you're starting a team on such (relatively) short notice, you're likely to just create turmoil with your own club.  Plus, the Whitecaps seem set to actually spend some money this off season, which means that the limited soccer talk from the msm in this market would be sucked up by that rather than talk of a new team.  

The rights for Fraser Valley are rumoured to still by held by the group that launched Pacific FC. If the league itself was going to collectively launch an eighth team to balance the schedule so they can have four games each weekend, this is probably the market to do it in, because it's not taking away an expansion fee, if that rumour is accurate. There are also probably enough CanPL level players playing in leagues like the VMSL and FVSL in Lower Mainland BC for it not to be a problem to get up to speed at relatively short notice in player recruitment terms. The major problem would be building a fanbase.

Yup, I know the rumours that the Pacific group has the rights to the FV team.  So you'd also be looking at them having to find a buyer for Pacific, because I'm not sure they could finance both.  I'd also dispute that you could find enough players in the VMSL/FVSL to be a competitive CPL team, if that's your primary source of players.  Then add in trying to rush a launch, and it adds up to a bad idea for 2020.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yup, I know the rumours that the Pacific group has the rights to the FV team.  So you'd also be looking at them having to find a buyer for Pacific, because I'm not sure they could finance both.  I'd also dispute that you could find enough players in the VMSL/FVSL to be a competitive CPL team, if that's your primary source of players.  Then add in trying to rush a launch, and it adds up to a bad idea for 2020.

The potential club has been worked on for quite a while apparently in the background so it may not be as much of a rush launch as it may seem.

As for a reason, the Caps recent turmoil has nothing to do with it - the reason is Metro Vancouver is a major media market the CPL wants to have a club in as its the country's Division 1 league, coupled with the fact there's a group wanting an expansion club here. The group no doubt thinks the market is big enough for 2 pro clubs (which it is).

Edited by CDNFootballer

I found this article interesting in light of all the speculation on using Lamport as a Toronto CanPL venue:

Toronto Wolfpack: Can Canadian club complete journey to Super League?

"I think it's growing," he said. "The area of the city where the stadium is - an area called Liberty Village - is a sort of a hipster area, Google have their offices there. It's a trendy, bohemian work area, but there's residential areas around there as well.