lazlo_80

CPL new teams speculation

23 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

You are using survior bias here. Saying Edwards is the only example doesnt disprove, it proves it.  MLS teams wont use a INT spot on a CDN, therefore wont sign a CDN (who isnt domestic status). Saying its not a problem because only one player is seemingly effected is the wrong conclusion to draw from the stats.  

Survivor bias.

That’s a friggin “like” for you.

14 hours ago, narduch said:

For all we know more players may choose the Jonathan David route and skip MLS altogether. Nobody can say for certain 

Canadian MLS teams probably would have had him rotting on the bench in favor of some foreign veteran. 

Maybe, but that would be a flaw with the Canadian MLS teams and not with MLS.

Make of this what you will:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CanadianPL/comments/d95prs/rumour_12_just_heard_that_canpls_work_on_the_8th/f1fb67z?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

A guy through my kids soccer, said he got a phone call on Friday (I saw him Saturday morning) to see if he can get some things started to be ready for the up coming season. I had asked if they were going to be here for 2021 and he said they are trying to make a push for the 2020 season.

This guy is heavily involved with soccer from youth up to FIFA.

On 9/25/2019 at 2:21 PM, SpursFlu said:

If I'm Ottawa I'm looking at the CPL right now and thinking, we could be pushing the idea of being in the CPL finals likely on CBC, qualifying for Concacaf League. But instead what is the proposition to fans.. We're fighting for 8th place likely to just go away in an opening round, against whoever fc with no real objective in mind

They have a real objective - to get a home playoff game, otherwise they feel they will have underachieved.

I know this because I went to a Fury Q&A with JdG last Wednesday. The question of joining CPL never came up, but some people did ask if they had a scouting network since there looked to be a number of CanPL players that could fit the roster. JdG basically said that he was the scouting network, using video footage and CPL/USL stats to discuss team requirements with the coaching staff. He also said that he was getting enough support from the owners and they were looking for players that fit the coaches model of play. They want difference makers, of which a good team needs about 14 of them and he felt the Fury only had about 4 to 6. They also want the team built with a foundation of Canadian players with everyone fighting for a spot in the starting XI.

After the Q&A, another supporter told me that his ticket rep couldn't tell him which league the Fury would be playing in next year while discussing season ticket renewals. This is interesting because the renewal deadline for Fury season tickets is September 30th and you have to call them if you don't want to renew. Don't USL clubs have to declare if they will be playing in the USL for the 2020 season on that date? 

Edited by Initial B

I wasn't referring to an objective of success from a footballing perspective but as a storyline to create interest in the team. My thought is that if Ottawa played this year or next in the CPL they would be at the top of the table. So right now it would be a 3 horse race to make the CPL league final. That to me would drive interest and buzz. Alternatively your trying to qualify for a 16 team playoff against teams that have zero chance of away support in your stadium or any connectivity to your community or culture? Meh.. kinda boring

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

They have a real objective - to get a home playoff game, otherwise they feel they will have underachieved.

Huh

They are in the 8th and final playoff spot. 10 points out of a home playoff game with 7 matches left. Sounds like a daunting task. 

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Huh

They are in the 8th and final playoff spot. 10 points out of a home playoff game with 7 matches left. Sounds like a daunting task. 

That's not the way USL playoffs work. There is a play-in round between 7-10 and 8-9. They would have a home game if they stayed in 8 where they are now, or moved up to 7. If they moved up to 6 (not impossible but maybe a stretch) they would start away and likely never have a home playoff game no matter how far they went. You have the odd situation now where some people don't want them to move up too far so that they have at least one home playoff game. The downside is that if they win the play-in round, they face the first or second seed so might be a short playoff run.  The East is pretty crazy how wide open it is this year.

So I had a discussion with my Fury season ticket guy for my 2020 renewal.  I asked if we would be playing in the USL or CPL.  He was certain it would be USL.  But he thought that if the CPL was successful, then the Fury would possibly join.  I suppose "successful" equals more than one season.  Anyways, I renewed because 1) it's local professional soccer and 2) there are more Canadians in a starting XI than any of the MLS teams will have this season.  I'm going to trust that 2) will remain the same next season.

2 hours ago, Initial B said:

After the Q&A, another supporter told me that his ticket rep couldn't tell him which league the Fury would be playing in next year while discussing season ticket renewals. This is interesting because the renewal deadline for Fury season tickets is September 30th and you have to call them if you don't want to renew. Don't USL clubs have to declare if they will be playing in the USL for the 2020 season on that date? 

The USL should know by early September who's in for 2020, as they have to apply for sanctioning from USSF for the following year at that time.

Fury may possibly be trying to play both sides of the fence for season ticket renewals and that's why there not saying which league privately with some as their attendance is down another 3.5% this year from announced vs last year.

4 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

The USL should know by early September who's in for 2020, as they have to apply for sanctioning from USSF for the following year at that time.

Fury may possibly be trying to play both sides of the fence for season ticket renewals and that's why there not saying which league privately with some as their attendance is down another 3.5% this year from announced vs last year.

It's probably more likely the season ticket rep just doesn't know what's going on. Those positions come and go with the wind in my experience. When the CEO of OSEG says something, I would think it is stated pretty deliberately.

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So I had a discussion with my Fury season ticket guy for my 2020 renewal.  I asked if we would be playing in the USL or CPL.  He was certain it would be USL.  But he thought that if the CPL was successful, then the Fury would possibly join.  I suppose "successful" equals more than one season.  Anyways, I renewed because 1) it's local professional soccer and 2) there are more Canadians in a starting XI than any of the MLS teams will have this season.  I'm going to trust that 2) will remain the same next season.

I don’t think anyone on here blames Ottawa locals for supporting the Fury - even despite the crapfest around them and CPL.  

8 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t think anyone on here blames Ottawa locals for supporting the Fury - even despite the crapfest around them and CPL.  

Don't thinks so either, but hopefully those who want the team in CPL make it known whenever they have a chance, sg/fans would have some sway, no matter how little, especially if they bring "CPL Please" signs to games( like a couple have done previously).

Edited by CDNFootballer

37 minutes ago, PaulV said:

That's not the way USL playoffs work. There is a play-in round between 7-10 and 8-9. They would have a home game if they stayed in 8 where they are now, or moved up to 7. If they moved up to 6 (not impossible but maybe a stretch) they would start away and likely never have a home playoff game no matter how far they went. You have the odd situation now where some people don't want them to move up too far so that they have at least one home playoff game. The downside is that if they win the play-in round, they face the first or second seed so might be a short playoff run.  The East is pretty crazy how wide open it is this year.

Thanks

I was looking at standings on Google and they had a line under the 8th team. So I assumed that was the cut off. 

So I guess USL learned from MLS to have more then 50% of its teams make the playoffs 

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:
More smoke on Twitter, he goes on to say Ottawa not likely ever, next will be in Quebec or Lower Mainland.

No new trademarks filed except for some designs that were filed as "pre-formalized" last Friday by CPL Holdings.

Hoping for an 8th club for 2020, would be a negative for the league in a season of positives if there's not at least one club added for next year imo.

Edited by CDNFootballer

53 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Not trying to pick at you, but I am pretty sure I heard the same sort of thing from Ottawa fans last year. The reps saying they'll probably join if it is successful. The successful part is pretty open ended. It sounds to me like a sales rep just trying to sell tickets, it doesn't seem like they know the direction of the organization or the state of the relationship with the CPL. 

That being said, although it is incredibly annoying that Ottawa is so stuck in the USL, any club that supports local players is good in my books. If we want soccer to grow in Canada, we need to support our local teams no matter what league they play in. Also for the sake of rivalry... The Fury suck! (It is a weird thing to be a Canadian soccer fan)

21 minutes ago, CDNFootballer said:

No new trademarks filed except for some designs that were filed as "pre-formalized" last Friday by CPL Holdings.

Hoping for an 8th club for 2020, would be a negative for the league in a season of positives if there's not at least one club added for next year imo.

What designs?

They already have some lower mainland stuff trademarked.

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Don't thinks so either, but hopefully those who want the team in CPL make it known whenever they have a chance, sg/fans would have some sway, no matter how little, especially if they bring "CPL Please" signs to games( like a couple have done previously).

Trust me...those who want CPL have made it known to OSEG.

1 hour ago, BFBF said:

Not trying to pick at you, but I am pretty sure I heard the same sort of thing from Ottawa fans last year. The reps saying they'll probably join if it is successful. The successful part is pretty open ended. It sounds to me like a sales rep just trying to sell tickets, it doesn't seem like they know the direction of the organization or the state of the relationship with the CPL. 

That being said, although it is incredibly annoying that Ottawa is so stuck in the USL, any club that supports local players is good in my books. If we want soccer to grow in Canada, we need to support our local teams no matter what league they play in. Also for the sake of rivalry... The Fury suck! (It is a weird thing to be a Canadian soccer fan)

And that's why I used the quotes.  The sales rep seemed more certain about USL than when I spoke to him last about 3-4 weeks ago.  I wasn't not going to renew but they could have doubled their revenue from me if they were to move to the CPL.

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

No decisions to be made for Valour. "Give us your money and bend over".

They know we won't say "no". 😂😭💩

Edited by Lofty

3 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Yes and no.  No in that an expansion announcement during the "Championship" would be positive enough, even if it was confirmed for a 2021 entrant.   

Yes in that my spidey sense will have let me down.  I've been feeling sure that there would be a addition for 2020.  At least one with at least another strong candidate in the wings.  

4 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

I was/am hoping for that 8th team too but will hold the negative check mark in abeyance until there are no new teams for 2021. Just having the league rolling for 2019 was such an overwhelming positive that, for now, any negatives seem insignificant.

No new teams in 2020 and 3 new teams in 2021 would be fantastic!

4 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

What designs?

They already have some lower mainland stuff trademarked.

You can take a look at the site - its a few items classified as trademarked for "Goods" so not club names.

As for the Lower Mainland stuff, you mean the old Port City FC stuff?