Michael Petrasso

masster

As someone who watches and has watched the Championship extensively as well as lots of MLS, mainly the  Canadian based teams I will offer my opinion, it is very hard to compare any leagues but I think the Championship is a stronger league overall, the DP's in MLS mostly could compete in the Championship but I think the lower paid NCAA draft picks bring the quality level down! Money doesn't tell the whole story here as has been pointed out the structures are completely different with MLS using the American based franchise model! Many may know I'm a QPR fan, I'm not sure beyond a few players how many on TFC would get into the QPR side and sadly Rangers are lower to mid table! 

Edited by gator

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I'm not even sure they'd beat Forge had it be them in the V finals...

Your other reply I can agree with. But this one, I’m sure I can pull up many games where League 1/2 teams pull out wins against Championship sides, hell even Premiership sides. It happens sometimes man. Ya the Whitecaps are a dumpster fire rn but they still spend much more, and have much more talent then any other CPL team. It’s facts 

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

1 minute ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Your other reply I can agree with. But this one, I’m sure I can pull up many games where League 1/2 teams pull out wins against Championship sides, hell even Premiership sides. It happens sometimes man. Ya the Whitecaps are a dumpster fire rn but they still spend much more, and have much more talent then any other CPL team. It’s facts 

I mean consistently... not even just in a "one off"

33 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/11/04/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2019-atlanta-stays-on-top-as-expansion-fees-sale-prices-surge/#c66e12451b58

what about this?

1. Atlanta United, $500 million
  2. LA Galaxy, $480 million
  3. LAFC, $475 million
  4. Seattle Sounders, $405 million
  5. Toronto FC, $395 million 

This is from forbes.  Where is your list from?   Some British site?

Forbes valuations are like valuing stocks, can be overvalued at times and valuation metrics aren't fully transparent. Plus, Forbes valuations appears to be skewed to non-pitch metrics like expansion fees, stadium contracts, new tv deal, merchandise sales and share of SUM. 

If we're trying to compare the quality on the pitch, these aren't all useful. 

17 minutes ago, Ansem said:

MLS numbers are tainted because they pay a premium on talents who aren't seeing that money in Europe. Are Altidore and Bradley really worth what they are being paid? I think not.

Also, the disparity on MLS squads is flagrant, meaning you're 2 or 3 injuries away to have your level of play take a significant drop, hence why they struggle in CCL compare to Mexican clubs with much more balance and depth.

Comparing the best XI between MLS and Championship is one thing but putting them in a tough, long season while juggling multiple tournaments is an entirely different story and based on that i also think that Championship is clearly a tier above MLS.

Salary is not equal to valuation.

7 minutes ago, Ansem said:

I mean consistently... not even just in a "one off"

.. no. Could they pull a couple off in a 10 game series? Probably. I still see Whitecaps winning more so then not. Bekker, Forge best player, would be a squad player, or semi starter on a shitty Whitecaps team. Edgar was a rotational player years ago and then was let go. Be a little realistic, I know it’s trendy on this board to really rip on the Caps but in reality a lot of the Canadians getting regular minutes on that squad are in our Men’s set up, Forge not so much. I’m done replying to this as now we’ve definitely derailed this thread way too much. I’m happy for Petrasso to even be getting playing time during this CPL off season and I’m gonna leave it at that

1 minute ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

.. no. Could they pull a couple off in a 10 game series? Probably. I still see Whitecaps winning more so then not. Bekker, Forge best player, would be a squad player, or semi starter on a ****** Whitecaps team. Edgar was a rotational player years ago and then was let go. Be a little realistic, I know it’s trendy on this board to really rip on the Caps but in reality a lot of the Canadians getting regular minutes on that squad are in our Men’s set up, Forge not so much. I’m done replying to this as now we’ve definitely derailed this thread way too much. I’m happy for Petrasso to even be getting playing time during this CPL off season and I’m gonna leave it at that

I was just having fun - the Caps should win most of them

59 minutes ago, Shway said:

this thread is off the rails.....may I suggest "CPL vs" thread.

lol an MLS versus English Championship debate in the thread for a player who doesn't play in either league. 

And this player previously played in both leagues, is that not enough for you people? 😄

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

BWP couldn’t cut it in the championship and is one of the greatest MLS strikers ever. 

BWP's a good example of a player who needed a change of scenery. IIRC he also said that he saw his trial with the Red Bulls (yes, he went on trial there) as a "last chance saloon" to take his career seriously.

He obviously has talent but the main difference has been his maturity.

4 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I think the difference is this, any championship regular could come to MLS and be a regular. Not every MLS regular could do the opposite.

There have been many examples of championship regulars flaming out of MLS.

The leagues are likely close in quality but neither really stands out above the other, IMO.

32 minutes ago, RS said:

BWP's a good example of a player who needed a change of scenery. IIRC he also said that he saw his trial with the Red Bulls (yes, he went on trial there) as a "last chance saloon" to take his career seriously.

He obviously has talent but the main difference has been his maturity.

There have been many examples of championship regulars flaming out of MLS.

The leagues are likely close in quality but neither really stands out above the other, IMO.

Perhaps BWP is an outlier here. Can you provide examples of championship regulars flaming out in MLS? I genuinely don’t know. 
Guys I see such as Caldwell, Russel, Lewis Morgan etc. generally come over and are upper tier. Russel is a DP and would be your average championship starter. Brek Shea couldn’t even cut the championship and was back in mls as a DP as well. Hoilett would be a DP if he were back in MLS etc. 

I won’t say the difference is massive but I think gator hit it on the head. NCAA players wouldn’t be able to just step into a team in the championship. There is no way guys like Kamal Miller, Akindele are regulars in the championship. 

On any given day the levels could be similar but the championship is higher stakes football with deeper squads. That’s not debatable even though I am a fan of MLS. From a CMNT perspective I wouldn’t prejudice a player playing in one or the other but I would definitely say the championship is a better level to grow as a player: 

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Perhaps BWP is an outlier here. Can you provide examples of championship regulars flaming out in MLS? I genuinely don’t know. 
Guys I see such as Caldwell, Russel, Lewis Morgan etc. generally come over and are upper tier. Russel is a DP and would be your average championship starter. Brek Shea couldn’t even cut the championship and was back in mls as a DP as well. Hoilett would be a DP if he were back in MLS etc. 

I won’t say the difference is massive but I think gator hit it on the head. NCAA players wouldn’t be able to just step into a team in the championship. There is no way guys like Kamal Miller, Akindele are regulars in the championship. 

On any given day the levels could be similar but the championship is higher stakes football with deeper squads. That’s not debatable even though I am a fan of MLS. From a CMNT perspective I wouldn’t prejudice a player playing in one or the other but I would definitely say the championship is a better level to grow as a player: 

the average player is better in the championship without a doubt. look what leeds are doing in the epl, there isnt a hope in hell any team from mls would draw with man city a few months after promotion. 

42 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

the average player is better in the championship without a doubt. look what leeds are doing in the epl, there isnt a hope in hell any team from mls would draw with man city a few months after promotion. 

Championship is like premier league 1.0, probably better! It has basically become the haven for young academy players who can't get their break or given minutes in the PL which is 99% these days. Combined with older aging players and a really good standards of imports. It is the testing ground for PL. You can see where the bridge has been gapped over the past 5-10 years and there is very little difference with top half Championship and bottom half EPL these days imo.

I think the bottom half championship/top half league one is a good comparison. Higher championship clubs have have been spending much more money than the past and having larger operating budgets. Especially those coming down with parachute payments etc. 

In relation to Leeds/Mancity..if TFC were given $150m to being 8 players in, like Leeds did this summer, I would expect them to give Mancity a good game. No MLS club is attracting a manager as good as Beisla though.

11 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I am having problems even coming up with names of players that came over from the Championship, but I’d like to point out Ahmed Kantari. He bombed at TFC, but that doesn’t mean that MLS is clearly a level ahead of Ligue 1.

I hate these discussions because it really depends on the individual as the two leagues are different.  Nevertheless, some examples just from TFC:

Luke Moore - Championship/PL player - 42 appearances with TFC.
Darren O'Dea - Championship - 26 apps
Bradley Orr - Championship - 9 apps
Rohan Ricketts - Championship - 39 apps
Darel Russel - Championship/League 1 - 18 apps
Johann Smith - Prem-owned but L1 and L2 loanee - 14 apps
Andy Welsh - Championship - 20 apps
John Bostock - Prem-owned but championship/L1/L2 loanee - 7 apps
Steve Caldwell - PL/Championship - 46 apps
Danny Dichio - Championship - 59 apps
Robert Earnshaw - PL/Championship - 26 apps
Richard Eckersley - Championship - 50 apps
Hogan Ephraim - Championship/L1 - 11 apps

Some decent players in there, also some scrubs.  The statement that kicked this whole thing off is that MLS is below Championship.  If that were the case then I would've expected some of these players to come over and have more of an impact than they did.  I don't think the gap is as wide as some other posters in this thread believe.

I think a good chunk of MLS teams could regularly beat a good chunk of Championship teams, but on the whole the quality of the league is better.

This isn't a clear cut discussion.  There are many factors that contribute to every player.

You just have to look as far as our own Samuel Piette who was player 3rd/4th tier in Spain and comes back here and immediately becomes a strong MLS player.  Is 4th division in Spain better than Montreal Impact?

To add to it even further.  Tabla who was bought by Barcelona (which we can presume Barca had intentions of eventually trying to break him into their senior squad).  Tabla unlike Piette has struggled to hold down a starting role with the Impact.

Tabla comes back to Montreal from training with Messi.  Piette comes back to Montreal from training with carpenters at Izarre.

PS - I still have high hopes for Tabla to go on to bigger things.  This was just to add some perspective to the conversation.

Tabla in 2017-18 was a sub in the second tier with a barcelona b that got relegated..2018-19 in the third tier not a sure starter then sent on loan to the second tier and barely saw the field..so would be a third tier player if he would have continued out there..and barcelona b is still in the third tier

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

His FA Cup Round 2 game for the Bees against League One MK Dons is here on the BBC.  (Probably watchable through a VPN)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/54978853

Update:

Subbed off 55' or so. Thigh injury, put no weight on it going off. York 9 and the Canadian Premier League got a mention in the midst of that. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford