Michael Petrasso

masster

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

I don't know what type of role is best for Petrasso: full back, wing back, defensive winger, traditional winger, or inverted winger. I imagine he could do a similar job to a Marc Albrighton (though obviously at a lesser level). I don't feel comfortable with Petrasso being an important part of the National Team, but the talent level in Canada is so low that he may well be one of the best options.

All that being said I understand that he has not played meaningful, regular soccer for a relatively long period of time. He could certainly improve substantially over the course of the season.

He has been held back the last few years by being at QPR. QPR do not develop talent, they retard it.

Mike definitely has a lot of potential and I hope he is now in a place where it will be developed. Pointing out his weaknesses does not imply the opinion that he cannot substantially improve on them!

Overall I was pleased with his Gold Cup contribution but all the good stuff came in the offensive half of the pitch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
19 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

Looks like Petrasso could be loaned to an English Football League club. 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/21/por-montreal-impact-defender-petrasso-eyed-by-english-clubs/

Wouldn't be the worst thing. Players gotta play.

Hard to see him getting Championship minutes if he can't get MLS minutes though.

League one more likely.

It's disappointing he hasn't been able to lock down a spot on the field. Remember before the season started and we all thought Montreal would be the MLS team to play sooo many Canadians? Unfortunately it hasn't really panned out that way.

https://the11.ca/inescapably-canadian-power-rankings-mls-week-25-usl-week-23/

Toronto FC, 6015/24 (250.6)
Vancouver, 4789/25 (191.6)
Montreal, 4471/26 (172)

The numbers are Total Canadian minutes/Team matches played (Average Canadian minutes per match)

1 hour ago, Kent said:

It's disappointing he hasn't been able to lock down a spot on the field. Remember before the season started and we all thought Montreal would be the MLS team to play sooo many Canadians? Unfortunately it hasn't really panned out that way.

https://the11.ca/inescapably-canadian-power-rankings-mls-week-25-usl-week-23/

Toronto FC, 6015/24 (250.6)
Vancouver, 4789/25 (191.6)
Montreal, 4471/26 (172)

The numbers are Total Canadian minutes/Team matches played (Average Canadian minutes per match)

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has a comparison of MLS minutes played by Canadians over the past 10 years (or 5 years, or whatever is available)?  Has there been a substantial jump in these minutes played, and if so, by how much are we talking?

2 hours ago, Addona said:

I've been meaning to ask if anyone has a comparison of MLS minutes played by Canadians over the past 10 years (or 5 years, or whatever is available)?  Has there been a substantial jump in these minutes played, and if so, by how much are we talking?

I think this is exactly what you are looking for.

http://oot-football.blogspot.com/

On the right side of that page you'll see some percentages for each team from last season, which is their percentage of minutes played by Canadians. There is a link to a spreadsheet you can open up for 2017 there. Below that there are other years listed, that if you expand them and then expand the last couple months (December or November) you'll be able to see the numbers for that year as well in a post labelled "Canadian Content". It can be a bit hard to find all the amazing data he compiled (he's on this site, but I forget what his handle is here) so I was copying the final numbers into my own doc for a little while for easy reference. Here's what I have.

2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015
VAN 42.1% MTL 35.4% EDM 77.3% EDM 59.7% EDM 40.9% OTT 32.2% EDM 28.1%
MTL 39.2% VAN 34% MTL 21.4% TOR 25.4% TOR 17.0% EDM 29.1% OTT 25.0%
TOR 37.6% TOR 32.8% TOR 19.1% MTL 6.4% MTL 10.1% TOR 19.0% TOR 11.9%
    VAN 5.8% VAN 0.4% VAN 5.7% MTL 13.8% VAN 8.6%
          VAN 7.8% MTL 7.9%

In addition to the data from that site, I also compiled some raw numbers MLS wide for Canadians for a while. I haven't continued the last few years though (blame the CPL for making me stop caring about what MLS is and is not doing for Canadians). Here's what I've got.

Year Total Players Total Minutes Players over 2000 Players 500 to 1999
1996 5 9467 3 2
1997 2 2463 1 0
1998 3 4982 1 2
1999 5 5522 1 2
2000 4 4417 1 1
2001 3 2077 0 2
2002 1 1637 0 1
2003 2 3194 1 1
2004 4 4322 1 2
2005 3 5416 2 0
2006 4 7815 2 2
2007 21 17271 2 11
2008 17 14881 3 5
2009 15 21062 6 6
2010 19 20370 7 3
2011 22 20194 4 11
2012 21 21858 7 4
2013 22 19388 2 10
2014 20 17027 2 9

Hope this satisfies some curiosity.

11 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Does he not get any time attacking?  Seems really odd to continually plug in a guy at RB who just started playing there a year ago and has had most of his success at winger.  

Don’t think he has the pace/trickiness to be a threat on the wing at the Championship/MLS level. He’s still young enough to learn RB and should stick it out IMO.

total player         total min               total over 2000               500-1999min

2017            27                       18528                        2                                    11

2018            29                       20168                        1                                     16     with most teams having 7-8 games left

Did some quick figuring thanks to Sandors weekly power rankings, putting the last couple years in perspective next to to Kents good work. We should see Osorio and Davies join Piette over 2000 min and a couple more get over the 500min mark.  And lets not forget MAK was on pace for over 2000min before he was injured as well.  We should beat 2012's high water mark for minutes.   

• 2 months later...

He never physically went over on loan to Ottawa Fury

Anything happening with Petrasso? He needs to get his situation sorted out for the 2019 season soon

In August, it was reported that The Impact told him he could leave if he could find a new club that is 

Unfortunately he’s on contract for another more season but if he is to be in consideration for Herdman as CanMNT’s starting RB then he must be playing 

Would love to see him with TFC, not only is it his hometown and his younger brother is part of he academy but it suits the way the reds play

Attacking minded even with 4 at the back, sometimes even have RWB And LWB 

Things have been too silent on him

Edited by Thomas

On 11/27/2018 at 6:54 PM, Blackjack15 said:

He never physically went over on loan to Ottawa Fury

Anything happening with Petrasso? He needs to get his situation sorted out for the 2019 season soon

In August, it was reported that The Impact told him he could leave if he could find a new club that is 

Unfortunately he’s on contract for another more season but if he is to be in consideration for Herdman as CanMNT’s starting RB then he must be playing 

Would love to see him with TFC, not only is it his hometown and his younger brother is part of he academy but it suits the way the reds play

Attacking minded even with 4 at the back, sometimes even have RWB And LWB 

Things have been too silent on him

I like Petrasso, but already I think ZBG has demonstrated he's a superior option, while Godinho (who has injury problems of his own) seems to be a better option as well. Plus Cordova looks to have played a lot of full back lately in Chile based on his recent highlight video. 

I think it will be tough for Petrasso to find a place on the team in time for Gold Cup. He'll have to find a way back from injury and really excel in MLS next season to enter the conversation. 

Best of luck in his recovery!

3 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I've never really fancied him as a fullback. Would love to see him a bit higher up the field when healthy. Ottawa wouldn't be a bad place for him to get another shot.

Yeah, same here. He can play there, but it never really looks too convincing, does it?

Unlike Cordova, or even Aird, he really looks like a winger being shoehorned into the fullback position.

I think he needs to play higher up the field, whether that's with Montreal, Ottawa, or somewhere in the CPL.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...