Michael Petrasso

masster

I taped some Canada games on the PVR (not knowing what they were) and it was a Concacaf youth competition from Colorado a few years ago.  Watched some of the matches and it was interesting to see guys like Manella, Clarke getting major minutes who are now basically afterthoughts or none existent in our program.  One player who did really well in the 2.5 matches I watched was Petrasso.  Of course he wasn't playing fullback, he was up the field on the wing and he was dynamic running at defenders and made a couple of amazing runs in the bits I watched.  He did miss a PK against Mexico but other than that he was excellent.  Hope that he gets his game back together in the CPL and can maybe get into the conversation of joining an MLS team and who knows, maybe be depth on the CMNT. 

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Wow English 5th division.  That feels like a tough pill to swallow.  

I hoped for more, but seems pretty fair, no?

I mean MLS is behind Championship,  and CPL is more than a league below MLS.  There's still a pretty important gap there, so that the best of CPL doesn't walk into an MLS side. 

So all things considered, it should get him minutes and give him a chance to prove and measure himself. 

54 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Wow English 5th division.  That feels like a tough pill to swallow.  

When Jason Devos (then very promising 22 year old defender with Montreal in the CSL of the mid nineties) was transferred to England, he went to Darlington.   Which is approximately the same level of competition.   

Yes, i agree it ahould be a tough pill to swallow.   

42 minutes ago, costarg said:

I hoped for more, but seems pretty fair, no?

I mean MLS is behind Championship,  and CPL is more than a league below MLS.  There's still a pretty important gap there, so that the best of CPL doesn't walk into an MLS side. 

So all things considered, it should get him minutes and give him a chance to prove and measure himself. 

Yes however Petrasso has actually played the majority of his career the Championship, League 1 and MLS before coming to CPL.  So for him this is a lower level.

19 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

MLS is behind the championship, that is certainly a fact.

While I agree somewhat, I would say MLS is somewhere between the Championship and League 1. Top half of teams in MLS could compete in Championship while bottom half could probably be good teams in league 1/relegation team in the Championship. There’s no doubt the Promotion teams in the Championship and relegation teams in EPL are a level ahead though

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

9 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

MLS is behind the championship, that is certainly a fact.

Again, you provide nothing to support this claim.   Show me details of club ownership, club insfrastructure,  financial picture, sponsorships,  player salaries, attanedance ..etc etc to support this claim.

go through the transfer of players to and from MLS and europe and show me where you see evidence (as claimed above) that as a fact “mls is below championship”. In level of play and competiveness. 

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Again, you provide nothing to support this claim.   Show me details of club ownership, club insfrastructure,  financial picture, sponsorships,  player salaries, attanedance ..etc etc to support this claim.

go through the transfer of players to and from MLS and europe and show me where you see evidence (as claimed above) that as a fact “mls is below championship”. In level of play and competiveness. 

I don’t care enough to do the legwork, but I am sure you could find some indicators:

- team budgets and average player salaries

- average player transfer revenues

- etc 

1 hour ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Here’s Cardiff vs TFC via Transfermarkt

C9FAFA8B-A855-45D4-94F6-F6B18A95904F.jpeg

FAB3AA91-84D1-43E0-843C-0C89FA80B685.jpeg

How convenient to pick cardiff city ;)  show me the last time someone from the championship or lower ever had on their roster players of the likes of the many players that have come over such as ibrahimovich,  rooney, lampard, henry, and the many more  who  have proven their worth at the international level.   Or what about those two kids who suited up for bayern munich this weekend (One from Dallas and one from the whitecaps) .   Or what about tyler adams, miguel almiron...and many other.   where did they go?  

I will have more to add on this later

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

How convenient to pick cardiff city ;)  show me the last time someone from the championship or lower ever had on their roster players of the likes of the many players that have come over such as ibrahimovich,  rooney, lampard, henry, and the many more  who  have proven their worth at the international level.   Or what about those two kids who suited up for bayern munich this weekend (One from Dallas and one from the whitecaps) .   Or what about tyler adams, miguel almiron...and many other.   where did they go?  

I had time at lunch break, so I made a ranking based off of Championship and MLS MV. In conclusion, the top 3 in Championship are much much higher then the top in MLS, LAFC/Inter/Atlanta are all in the top quarter in comparison to the a Championship, while the average MLS team is middle of the road/just out of relegation. The bottom for the in the championship are all lower than every MLS team. Not a single league 1 team has a higher MV then an MLS team. 

6CFB3FA1-2C56-427D-A9E1-E66E739A095A.jpeg

B95A340C-CBF4-4B8F-93CB-EB3EC1281041.jpeg

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/11/04/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2019-atlanta-stays-on-top-as-expansion-fees-sale-prices-surge/#c66e12451b58

what about this?

1. Atlanta United, $500 million
  2. LA Galaxy, $480 million
  3. LAFC, $475 million
  4. Seattle Sounders, $405 million
  5. Toronto FC, $395 million 

This is from forbes.  Where is your list from?   Some British site?

Edited by Free kick

8 minutes ago, Free kick said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/11/04/major-league-soccers-most-valuable-teams-2019-atlanta-stays-on-top-as-expansion-fees-sale-prices-surge/#c66e12451b58

what about this?

1. Atlanta United, $500 million
  2. LA Galaxy, $480 million
  3. LAFC, $475 million
  4. Seattle Sounders, $405 million
  5. Toronto FC, $395 million 

This is from forbes.  Where is your list from?   Some British site?

Transfermarkt. It’s Market Value based 

edit: I’m not arguing the Championship is miles above MLS, in fact I’m arguing the opposite. Above it was said the the Championship is undoubtedly better then the MLS, when the facts say there isn’t. The gap between the bottom to top teams is much smaller in the MLS

Edited by N1ckbr0wn

This is such a silly argument. The championship is one of the most competitive leagues in the world second division or not and is filled with talented players waiting for their shot in the prem. From an overall talent, compete and just general attractiveness level to the play the championship is just better. Just watch some games. 

Now the MLS isn't some bum league either it's not at the same level but of course a franchise based league in the USA is going to have higher market values. The MLS is designed to make the owners of the teams happy and to keep the value of teams high

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t care enough to do the legwork, but I am sure you could find some indicators:

- team budgets and average player salaries

- average player transfer revenues

- etc 

How about looking at sponsors.   Every team site lists their sponsors.   Disregard shoe/shirt sponsorships cause every team has to have one and you will never find how much value it brings in.  Instaed, look at the type of sponsors.   Are you going to find international entities, national companies,  or local businesses as team sponsors?   The former suggests greater value and brannd awareness.   The later is synomous with small clubs with no awareness beyond the local market.  

bigger clubs have greater brand value and greater capacity to generate revenues.  This means greater budgets for players and better able aquire talent. THATS A FACT.   Shall we look at sponsors of mls clubs versus the championship or lower?  I already did many times by the way. 

Edit.:  i mentioned to disrgard the shoe and equipment sponsor when assessing value and size of club.   Another one i would disregard is automakers.   Thats cause you never know if its the local offices or dealerships behind the sponsors money or if its comming from the parent company.

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, Free kick said:

The difference is depth.. not an individual player. Watch the two levels and it’s clear to anyone, even the most fervent MLS fan, that the championship is decisively higher.

BWP couldn’t cut it in the championship and is one of the greatest MLS strikers ever. 

I think the difference is this, any championship regular could come to MLS and be a regular. Not every MLS regular could do the opposite. Granted, there are some that could go and be stars in the championship as well.

2 hours ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Here’s Cardiff vs TFC via Transfermarkt

C9FAFA8B-A855-45D4-94F6-F6B18A95904F.jpeg

FAB3AA91-84D1-43E0-843C-0C89FA80B685.jpeg

MLS numbers are tainted because they pay a premium on talents who aren't seeing that money in Europe. Are Altidore and Bradley really worth what they are being paid? I think not.

Also, the disparity on MLS squads is flagrant, meaning you're 2 or 3 injuries away to have your level of play take a significant drop, hence why they struggle in CCL compare to Mexican clubs with much more balance and depth.

Comparing the best XI between MLS and Championship is one thing but putting them in a tough, long season while juggling multiple tournaments is an entirely different story and based on that i also think that Championship is clearly a tier above MLS.

Edited by Ansem