Tristan Borges

SCF08

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

Borges has shown he deserves an opportunity at a higher level. Let's hope the Canadian Premier League and Sigma/Forge have the connections and credibility to move him to a good situation.  

A call up against Cuba would be good, to get him in the shop window and build his confidence.  

I think Sigma's connections are going to be the big driver here. There is probably not a better club to be at if youre looking to be sold on, Bobby has built connections that go way back with teams in Belgium, Greece, etc... which is also a good level to move on too, not crazy high level but still an obvious jump. 

Other than Silberbaur selling to his old clubs I don't think any other team has too much of a connection to Europe unless I'm missing something obvious. 

12 minutes ago, BradMack said:

I think Sigma's connections are going to be the big driver here. There is probably not a better club to be at if youre looking to be sold on, Bobby has built connections that go way back with teams in Belgium, Greece, etc... which is also a good level to move on too, not crazy high level but still an obvious jump. 

Other than Silberbaur selling to his old clubs I don't think any other team has too much of a connection to Europe unless I'm missing something obvious. 

Pacific has Friend and Simpson as well as Silberbauer with years at a high level in Europe. They've also made it clear that their objective is to develop players and move them on. Look at the squad they've built. I think we'll see a lot of Pacific players get a look in Europe 

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Pacific has Friend and Simpson as well as Silberbauer with years at a high level in Europe. They've also made it clear that their objective is to develop players and move them on. Look at the squad they've built. I think we'll see a lot of Pacific players get a look in Europe 

If they want a look in Europe, they better raise their level of play in CPL first.

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

There is a Mali international defender that plays for Barca B. Can't recall his name, but he's born 1998 and has 12 or 13 caps for his country. 

We have a new Japanese full international. Just last year Honduras' Lozano transferred out. 

In any case I do agree Borges is amongst the top 3-4 prospects in CP and I could see him  as an international--but he's behind a few guys still and may have to go to a stronger league. 

I wonder if we will see any if the CPL guys get offered a Canadian generation adidas contract for this year's MLS draft. I have no idea what the stipulations would be and whether CPL would get any compensation. It seems to have worked out well for Shome. 

6 hours ago, masster said:

If they want a look in Europe, they better raise their level of play in CPL first.

Agreed, as the basic problem is the only way to really highlight youth is to surround it with competent veterans, instead of asking too much too soon. Pacific has half a dozen kids who are great, and who could perfectly well find a way out to stronger leagues, but they cannot shine if they are being asked to be the ones to get results against experienced veterans. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

I think he could make the bench for the US clash.

Nothing against Borges, but we can’t afford to us games of that significance as a opportunity to cap players. Unless the guys ahead of him are in bad form or injured. 

11 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Borges has shown he deserves an opportunity at a higher level. Let's hope the Canadian Premier League and Sigma/Forge have the connections and credibility to move him to a good situation.  

A call up against Cuba would be good, to get him in the shop window and build his confidence.  

I've been campaigning for the Whitecaps to get him. They have a huge and urgent need for a player like him: creative mid who can play on the left or rotate into a more central role, and most importantly, create offense from anywhere on the field.

I hope Borges earns full international caps before he moves on.

It would be good optics for the league to have a Canadian prospect turn international. Borges would arguably represent the best chance of that.

There's a part of me that wants to see him transfer directly to Europe, rather than MLS. Just in terms of optics, it would be cool to see the probable golden boot winner get scooped up by a Belgian or Dutch team, for example.

If he goes to MLS and doesn't tear it up, it's kinda like meh, okay yet another decent Canadian in Major League Soccer, but if he goes to Gent (just for example) and does "just alright", it's more like, hey look CPL exports can hang in a European league. Just holds more clout, rightly or wrongly.

12 hours ago, Reign said:

Nothing against Borges, but we can’t afford to us games of that significance as a opportunity to cap players. Unless the guys ahead of him are in bad form or injured. 

I never said we should use it as an opportunity to cap him. I said he could make the bench against the US. 

51 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I never said we should use it as an opportunity to cap him. I said he could make the bench against the US. 

Yes but why ? A game that important we should have our best players on the field and bench. If let’s say Davies is playing LW and gets injured during the game I’d rather have someone that we know can play at that level ready to come off the bench to replace him. 

10 minutes ago, Reign said:

Yes but why ? A game that important we should have our best players on the field and bench. If let’s say Davies is playing LW and gets injured during the game I’d rather have someone that we know can play at that level ready to come off the bench to replace him. 

I think his argument is that Borges could make the bench on merit, which I don't consider unrealistic. Do you want a struggling Ballou Tabla coming off the bench, or an in-form Borges? It's kind of a toss up, perhaps.

I'm still on team Tabla, but if Borges continues to crush the CPL come October and Ballou is struggling for game time somewhere in La Liga 2, I don't think I would complain too much if Borges sneaks onto the team ahead of him.

Anyone remember when MAK made the roster for the GC in 2017 and we fought over what level he was at, how many USL starts he had blah blah blah.  If we had camps/friendlies and pulled in a wider net of players maybe we would know if Borges, Zator etc could hang with the full squad.  If Herdman/coaching staff see enough from him in CPL to give him a shot then thats ok with me. Some will work (MAK) some wont (Aleman, Manella, Aparcio) but  I wont fault the coach for giving some of the kids a try.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think his argument is that Borges could make the bench on merit, which I don't consider unrealistic. Do you want a struggling Ballou Tabla coming off the bench, or an in-form Borges? It's kind of a toss up, perhaps.

I'm still on team Tabla, but if Borges continues to crush the CPL come October and Ballou is struggling for game time somewhere in La Liga 2, I don't think I would complain too much if Borges sneaks onto the team ahead of him.

Yes but I said I’d be fine with Borges if the guys ahead of him are in bad form or not getting minutes a few posts earlier. In that situation I’d agree bring Borges.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:39 AM, baulderdash77 said:

I suspect that he will get a chance to go to a bigger league this offseason if he can win the Golden Boot or continue to challenge for it.  Maybe a mid tier Dutch or Belgium team.  

Sorry to be replying to a post from a week ago, but I don't think so. When he was with SC Heerenveens' second team, no doubt he'd been scouted a lot by Eerste Divisie (second tier) teams, but non a them felt compelled to sign him. Assuming he has a Portuguese passport that wouldn't have been a problem for them. But they didn't think he was special enough (even though they won their division in his last season). 

So I don't think a year and a couple of games later he'll be picked up by a mid-table Dutch team anytime soon. To be honest I think it says more about the (current) level of CPL. The guys I'm interested in are the younger ones, kids playing at 17 like Attardo and Velado-Tsegaye who might make a lot of progress in a couple of years so when they're 21, they'll be playing in MLS or abroad somewhere. 

44 minutes ago, narduch said:

Posted this in the Forge thread: Duane Rollins is reporting that there is interest in Borges from a Belgian club. Forge would prefer to complete the transfer in January 

Have to admit mixed feelings about this. I know that it is a sign of success that CPL moves solid players onto larger clubs (ideally after scouting and developing them) but the prospect of losing one of the leagues top players so early makes me a bit hesitant. I think I would rather the league build the overall quality of play for the next year or two rather than export players.  Not that I would oppose the move on an individual basis - it would be great for Borges - just that my preference would be to keep the talented players during this initial phase of the league. 

Having said that, a couple of successful transfers across the pond would likely reinforce the idea of CPL as a really solid developmental destination.  

45 minutes ago, narduch said:

There's probably another kid just like Borges ready to step up and take his place.

This is why we need the CPL forever.

45 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

The more top young players that CPL moves on, the more top young players are going to want to play in CPL

The CPL is serving it's purpose. This is what we all hoped and it's happening right away. I'm beyond excited