Doneil Henry

Coramoor

On 8/9/2018 at 11:55 AM, David C. said:

Personally, I'm on board with Henry being a starting CB for us in the Fall. The trick to me is finding a partner that will compliment his skills and cover for his weaknesses. Unfortunately, I have no idea who that could be.

Still Jakovic. Henry can cover for his lack of speed, he can probably organize better than Henry, and not bad with ball at feet. If Vitoria can sort out his club situation then he'd also be a good fit. 

On 8/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

But they did celebrate and fairly significantly. Not as if someone had scored it, but still.

You were not in the stadium I take it. But I understand the need to come up with this super classy stuff for a team that was nothing of the sort.

I watched it on TV, so you are correct. I'm not going to re-edit my post, should have put more emphasis on Ricketts in compared to the team....

Watch the highlight again, Ricketts was pressuring Henry, when it went in, the man didnt even raise his arms, let alone a fist pump to celebrate the goal. 

Edited by apbsmith

On 8/11/2018 at 9:55 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

As for the TFC fans who had the nerve to post that the ball should never have made it in, because no one was pressuring the sender, playing with ten men deep into stoppage time--well the pure stupidity amazes me.

Tbh I only watched the game because there were a handful of CMNT on the field. I very rarely watch MLS(a bit more this year cause MAK, Piette, Osorio). 

We can agree to disagree I guess because if you can't even put at least 15-20% of the blame on the 2 whitecap defenders who were on altidore..... but let altidore win the 1v2 flick-on header that was intended for Ricketts but led to the OG.....

I really don't know what to tell you, in my eyes absolute atrocious defending and lack of awareness/surrounding.  Watch it again, by no means was Bradley's long pass a laser beam, very winnable by either defender. 

On 8/9/2018 at 1:10 AM, BrennanFan said:

In the most important minute of the most important game of his year he cracks under pressure. One mistake like that can cost us an entire 4 year qualifying cycle. I'm not ready to quit on DH but this does not help me see him as a starter for the CMNT.

Good point. Let’s just call the players we have that have never made mistakes.

10 minutes ago, Blackjack15 said:

After seeing Henry play the last 2 matches, I’m sorry but I just don’t trust him. He’s not a secure option for CB in the CMNT right now 

You’re right, we should not call him for the foreseeable future. We have good depth at the position and many CBs playing regularly so we can afford to lose DH.

/s.

4 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

You’re right, we should not call him for the foreseeable future. We have good depth at the position and many CBs playing regularly so we can afford to lose DH.

/s.

He's already capped. Can't lose him.

Just need to work harder that's all.

Until then, I'd rather go young 

Just now, Ansem said:

Yeah, let's go young:

This board can be so stupid sometimes, Henry is having a good year and has been solid, a couple of bad results for a team having bad results, well that has to be expected.

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yeah, let's go young:

This board can be so stupid sometimes, Henry is having a good year and has been solid, a couple of bad results for a team having bad results, well that has to be expected.

I dont appreciate being called stupid.

A couple of bad results? What part of "deja vu" you dont seem to understand?

I didn't say he shouldn't be in the team, but starting? I'm not convinced

One guy's in Championship, the other at TFC and older... Herman talks about Tomori, not Henry,

dumb example really

Edited by Ansem

Henry is playing on a team which expects the CBs to do all the defending. Robbo doesn’t know how to build a defensive system so everything falls back to the center backs. Yes, Henry made a couple mistakes. But honestly, if other players did their jobs many of those goals wouldn’t have happened.

It was just one poor game. He actually has been a very good defender for the caps this year. I wouldn’t hesitate to call him an MLS level starter, and if we can say that about any of our other center backs then I am happy to play them ahead of Henry, but I don’t think we can.

34 minutes ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Henry is playing on a team which expects the CBs to do all the defending. Robbo doesn’t know how to build a defensive system so everything falls back to the center backs. Yes, Henry made a couple mistakes. But honestly, if other players did their jobs many of those goals wouldn’t have happened.

It was just one poor game. He actually has been a very good defender for the caps this year. I wouldn’t hesitate to call him an MLS level starter, and if we can say that about any of our other center backs then I am happy to play them ahead of Henry, but I don’t think we can.

This. 

Whitecaps collectively were horrible defensively. Many times I thought Doneil was playing DM for how high he had to defend, which sucked him away from where he should've been. 

It wasn't a great homecoming for him but he wasn't alone in that regard with respect to his teammates. I thought he could have done better on the 2nd & 5th goals although he looked pretty tired against a fresh Ricketts on the last one.

For what its worth, he and Davies were the only Caps who's names were cheered (and not ironically) when the Vancouver starting line-up was announced.

10 hours ago, Ansem said:

He's 25.

And I now see others have pointed out the same thing, but whatever. 

Watching the replay as I missed the game live last night. Got to about the 60th minute. I don't see where Henry has made any terrible mistakes worthy of such criticism. I must watch on I guess....

Edited by Obinna

Not bitching at him, but on Ricketts headed goal (the one that killed the little bit of momentum the Caps were generating, and thus any hope of a miraculous comeback) Henry didn't even leave the ground to try and win the header.  Ricketts just move past him and jumped unchallenged for the ball.  That is something that isn't about positioning, other players, or occasional (but understandable) blunders - he just shut off at a key moment in a key game.  Not cool.

Who shut off for Altidore's goal off the corner?  That was a free header and I thought it was Ghazal who was covering him.

Who shut off for Giovinco's goal?  Another free header in the box and I think Henry had followed his man to cover Osorio.

The problem with the minutiae and narrow focus of this board is that the bigger picture gets missed.

3 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Who shut off for Altidore's goal off the corner?  That was a free header and I thought it was Ghazal who was covering him.

Who shut off for Giovinco's goal?  Another free header in the box and I think Henry had followed his man to cover Osorio.

The problem with the minutiae and narrow focus of this board is that the bigger picture gets missed.

Kind of like how entire leagues skill levels are determined off the defensive displays on goal highlights?

5 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Totally agree with this. Was going to say something like this as well but this is far more articulate than anything i can write.

6 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not bitching at him, but on Ricketts headed goal (the one that killed the little bit of momentum the Caps were generating, and thus any hope of a miraculous comeback) Henry didn't even leave the ground to try and win the header.  Ricketts just move past him and jumped unchallenged for the ball.  That is something that isn't about positioning, other players, or occasional (but understandable) blunders - he just shut off at a key moment in a key game.  Not cool.

Yeah. I saw that too. He looked a step behind at earlier points in the game too. Though granted, I wasn't paying super close attention.

7 hours ago, Wingback6 said:

Yeah. I saw that too. He looked a step behind at earlier points in the game too. Though granted, I wasn't paying super close attention.

The entire team defending was a step behind in this one.  They faced much better coordinated attacking play on Wednesday night then they did against Portland on Saturday (who didn't do nearly as much off the ball and third man running or side overloads).