Ayo Akinola

masster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"...6 figures a season..."

These are the best sources, and I am thankful for them, I just love having these guys breaking exciting news about a guy who may now be making 101,000 US a year (he honestly does not know what a six-figure salary is, does he?)

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcTbmatVgcAVnhtI3VNpm

He gets one figure every other month, starting with Phonzie. AND HE WILL LOVE THE AMBITION OF IT!

1 hour ago, Ruffian said:

He looks to be the starting striker at this point. Why wouldn't he get opportunity?

The tweet suggests he's staying multiple years. I think it's a good thing he's staying for this season but if he does well and gets suitable offers he should leave next year because eventually TFC will sign a DP striker. Everyone in TFC land is saying Insigne needs a big time striker alongside him so long term I don't think Ayo is in the plans, however, for the time being this benefits both parties.

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Even if TFC sign a big striker, wouldnt there be room for a #2 guy?? Do we have any inkling as to what formation or style Bradley is going to be running?

Bradley preferred a 4-3-3 at LAFC but of course he could change with TFC. I'm not saying it's bad by any means just interesting, the grass isn't always greener and coming off of an injury it's nice to have assurances. 

13 hours ago, Tyler55 said:

The tweet suggests he's staying multiple years. I think it's a good thing he's staying for this season but if he does well and gets suitable offers he should leave next year because eventually TFC will sign a DP striker. Everyone in TFC land is saying Insigne needs a big time striker alongside him so long term I don't think Ayo is in the plans, however, for the time being this benefits both parties.

It sounds like Ayo had other options and considered them. I doubt he would have signed the deal unless he was given assurances. Especially since the deal is described as "among the richest ever given to an MLS homegrown or academy product".

MLS launches U22 Initiative to support further investment in young players | MLSSoccer.com

"Major League Soccer has announced a new initiative for players under the age of 22 in an effort to continue to foster the growth of young players and decrease roadblocks for clubs interested in signing them.

The U22 Initiative allows MLS clubs to sign up to three young players, age 22 and younger, to lucrative contracts at a reduced budget charge, decreasing the risk associated with acquiring or retaining players who are still approaching their prime.

The rule provides enhanced opportunities for Homegrown signings and SuperDraft picks, as well as players who hail from outside the United States and Canada and are signing their first MLS contract.

How it works

• MLS clubs can now sign up to three players under the age of 22 to lucrative contracts, and at a reduced budget charge
  • Players can occupy the U22 initiative slot through the season they turn 25 years old

Eligibility

• International players are eligible when they sign their first MLS contract
  • Homegrown players are eligible on either their first or second contract
  • SuperDraft picks, meanwhile, are eligible for the initiative on their second MLS contract."

• A player cannot exceed the maximum salary budget charge to be eligible
  • U22 players will hit the cap at $200,000 between ages 21-23 or $150,000 for ages 20 and younger

10 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

MLS launches U22 Initiative to support further investment in young players | MLSSoccer.com

"Major League Soccer has announced a new initiative for players under the age of 22 in an effort to continue to foster the growth of young players and decrease roadblocks for clubs interested in signing them.

The U22 Initiative allows MLS clubs to sign up to three young players, age 22 and younger, to lucrative contracts at a reduced budget charge, decreasing the risk associated with acquiring or retaining players who are still approaching their prime.

The rule provides enhanced opportunities for Homegrown signings and SuperDraft picks, as well as players who hail from outside the United States and Canada and are signing their first MLS contract.

How it works

• MLS clubs can now sign up to three players under the age of 22 to lucrative contracts, and at a reduced budget charge
  • Players can occupy the U22 initiative slot through the season they turn 25 years old

Eligibility

• International players are eligible when they sign their first MLS contract
  • Homegrown players are eligible on either their first or second contract
  • SuperDraft picks, meanwhile, are eligible for the initiative on their second MLS contract."

• A player cannot exceed the maximum salary budget charge to be eligible
  • U22 players will hit the cap at $200,000 between ages 21-23 or $150,000 for ages 20 and younger

Yay! More fucking complicated rules around MLS salary cap and player contracts!