Ayo Akinola

masster

It could be a tear but am I the only one that is a little suspicious that many of the reports are saying ACL injury and not ACL "Tear".  First they were saying 4 to 6 weeks and now Toronto FC is saying Akinola will "likely" miss the rest of the season with an ACL Injury.  I'll admit that it's a bit of a stretch to hope ACL Injury does not directly translate to ACL Tear but if it was torn, there would be no way he would be returning until next Spring/Summer.  I find the wording odd that Toronto FC stated that he is only likely out for the season when we all know a tear means out until sometime next season.  Just look at Achara, he hasn't even returned from his tear last March.

Perhaps I am just being hopeful. 😪 Wishful thinking.

Edited by Corazon

3 minutes ago, Corazon said:

It could be a tear but am I the only one that is a little suspicious that many of the reports are saying ACL injury and not ACL "Tear".  First they were saying 4 to 6 weeks and now Toronto FC is saying Akinola will "likely" miss the rest of the season with an ACL Injury.  I'll admit that it's a bit of a stretch to hope ACL Injury does not directly translate to ACL Tear but if it was torn, there would be no way he would be returning until next Spring/Summer.  I find the wording odd that Toronto FC stated that he is only likely out for the season when we all know a tear means out until sometime next season.  Just look at Achara, he hasn't even returned from his tear last March.

Perhaps I am just being hopeful. 😪

A non tear of the ACL (ie a sprain) would be relatively mild and be a one month recovery. I don’t think they would rule him out for the rest of the season due to that. Anything else is a tear of the ACL with an 8+ month recovery.

6 minutes ago, Floortom said:

A non tear of the ACL (ie a sprain) would be relatively mild and be a one month recovery. I don’t think they would rule him out for the rest of the season due to that. Anything else is a tear of the ACL with an 8+ month recovery.

Thanks, I also didn't know how long a sprain would take to recover.  I experienced a partial tear playing footy and I did not handle it as well as Akinola did.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

TFC's just covering their bases until they can get their own medical team to look at Akinola's injury themselves.

I was just about to edit my post to state this exact same thing that TFC will likely confirm a tear in the coming days.

Edited by Corazon

9 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

...but no foul and FOX repeatedly claimed it was a "clean tackle". What a fucking joke CONCACAF is.

I don’t think it was a dirty tackle - a foul could have been called because there was some contact on the leg after he got ball. But I don’t think it was egregious or anything 

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I don’t think it was a dirty tackle - a foul could have been called because there was some contact on the leg after he got ball. But I don’t think it was egregious or anything 

I don't think it was dirty either. However, he clearly kicks through Ayo's knee and then gets the ball. I'd go so far as to argue that the only reason he got the ball was because Ayo's knee literally buckled.

Watching his reaction immediately after the play brought back sad personal memories of two blown ACLs for me (each knee).  Even though I could walk off the field with the second one like he did, I knew it was blown the moment it happened .  He probably knew that immediately with his knee, too.  I wish him a very speedy and full recovery.

Edited by BearcatSA

Hopefully he can have a speedy recovery.  I am not sure of the status of fellow TFC player Achara but he is yet to return from his ACL injury which happened in March of 2020.  One fear I always have is that he does seem to be slightly overweight.  In all sports, not just soccer, if you are even slightly overweight and playing at the top level, these players seem to battle injuries quite regularly throughout their careers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

And to add to that - the current situation shows us how important he could be in the coming years.  Cav isn’t exactly young anymore and by many accounts hasn’t been playing at the level he is (or was) capable of.  That could put Ayo in the mix for our 3rd striker spot - and as Larin has shown this window, that means he could be called on at any time in some crucial games.  Throw in the fact that he is still just 21, and it seems like cultivating a strong partnership between him and David would definitely be in our long term interest.  

Fun fact:  Ayo is only 6 days older than JD.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

24 minutes ago, zammy67 said:

Akinola placed 17th on the MLS 22 Under 22 list. Only Canadian international on the list.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/2021-22-under-22-presented-by-bodyarmor

This list feels more like a celebration of American talent than anything else.

That's usually the case, but it's particularly so this year. 

33 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This list feels more like a celebration of American talent than anything else.

That's usually the case, but it's particularly so this year. 

Its also skewed toward attacking or offensive minded players.  Those are easier to evaluate because you can find stats.   For defensive minded talents, its much harder.