Ayo Akinola

masster

22 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I really have nothing to back up my next statement but my intuition tells me Akinola will rival David and Larin for top striker on the NT. Maybe not this November but within a year Herdman will have a pleasant headache as to who to choose between Larin, David and Akinola.

I wouldn't rule Ugbo out of that conversation. He is only 23. Brym too as dark horse, he has had a great few months and good be playing in the Dutch top flight next year.

7 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

https://www.tsn.ca/video/playing-for-canada-at-the-world-cup-is-all-the-motivation-akinol~2431685

Looks trim, sounds positive and has  clearly matured. Excited to see what levels he can reach.

Oof what a horrific scissor tackle that was... doesn't look terrible from a distance but no surprise that took out his ACL.

13 minutes ago, yomurphy1 said:

Oof what a horrific scissor tackle that was... doesn't look terrible from a distance but no surprise that took out his ACL.

On 7/20/2021 at 10:58 AM, PegCityCam said:

I don't think it was dirty either. However, he clearly kicks through Ayo's knee and then gets the ball. I'd go so far as to argue that the only reason he got the ball was because Ayo's knee literally buckled.

I got pretty heated when that went down. Super happy he's made the best of it and even seems to believe it has made him a better player. 

• 3 weeks later...

I initially thought Akinola had slimmed down - which would be easier on his knee - but now he looks just as stocky as before the injury.  I get that it is muscle and you want to be strong on the ball but he doesn’t look to have a lot of speed or “quickness” when changing direction.  I’d like to see him slim down a bit.  

36 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I initially thought Akinola had slimmed down - which would be easier on his knee - but now he looks just as stocky as before the injury.  I get that it is muscle and you want to be strong on the ball but he doesn’t look to have a lot of speed or “quickness” when changing direction.  I’d like to see him slim down a bit.  

Please tell us more about how you know whats best for a player's health and body than the player himself, or his coaching staff, team doctors, etc... FYI willingly losing muscle mass vs bodyfat is not the same thing (doing the former is rarely a good idea)

I said in another post that Akinola will muscle out one of our forwards on the NT if Herdman goes with only 4 strikers in Qatar. This kid will turn heads. I'll make another prediction. Within 12 months Akinola will leave TFC and  be second fiddle or rivaling David for top striker on the NT. And this is coming from a CFMtl fan. The national team just doesn't have this profile in it's forward corps.

53 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Please tell us more about how you know whats best for a player's health and body than the player himself, or his coaching staff, team doctors, etc... FYI willingly losing muscle mass vs bodyfat is not the same thing (doing the former is rarely a good idea)

You seem like a real twat. 

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I said in another post that Akinola will muscle out one of our forwards on the NT if Herdman goes with only 4 strikers in Qatar. This kid will turn heads. I'll make another prediction. Within 12 months Akinola will leave TFC and  be second fiddle or rivaling David for top striker on the NT. And this is coming from a CFMtl fan. The national team just doesn't have this profile in it's forward corps.

I'll be surprised if he stays fit enough to play half of TFC's games between now and Qatar.

12 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

My dream is Akinola becomes Ali Gerba 2.0, who was pretty stocky with great hold up play, positioning and finishing.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

55 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Think he's going to be significantly better than Ali Gerba, who was a smaller clubs in Scanadinavian top tiers or League One sort of level in England level talent who couldn't quite cut it when he tried MLS unlike what Akinola is doing 12 years on when MLS is better than it was back then.

There were two Ali Gerbas. One was a lower level pro journeyman. The other was a very productive and reliable scorer for the Canadian national team when that team didn't score a lot of goals.

14 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Nothing wrong with saying a player looks overweight and lacking quickness - which I think is true in Ayo’s case.  And you don’t have to be a doctor to say that carrying less weight would be better on the knees.  His injury may have prevented him from getting back to full fitness.
 It’s also impossible to know if a player is following all the advice from team doctors / staff… Jozy always seemed to come back overweight after injury and would take months to get back into game shape.

42 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

Nothing wrong with saying a player looks overweight and lacking quickness - which I think is true in Ayo’s case.  And you don’t have to be a doctor to say that carrying less weight would be better on the knees.  His injury may have prevented him from getting back to full fitness.
 It’s also impossible to know if a player is following all the advice from team doctors / staff… Jozy always seemed to come back overweight after injury and would take months to get back into game shape.

I'll just put this here again for fun...

https://www.tsn.ca/video/playing-for-canada-at-the-world-cup-is-all-the-motivation-akinol~2431685

Not sure what y'all are seeing. He looks just as good, if not better than before the injury. He is clearly more muscle bound, "thick", leaning towards endomorph if you still believe in that 80s body type shit. Kinda reminds me of a Kyle Lowry/Vanvleet build...and yet he keeps it under control. In saying that I'll have to keep a closer eye on him next match. 

edit. Perhaps Jozy and Cava would be better football comparisons. I'd say Ayo carries less mass than either of them.

Edited by PegCityCam