Ayo Akinola

masster

12 hours ago, jonovision said:

There were two Ali Gerbas. One was a lower level pro journeyman. The other was a very productive and reliable scorer for the Canadian national team when that team didn't score a lot of goals.

^This. And his 15 goals in 31 appearances for Canada is an insane strike rate for that era of Canadian soccer. Including goals against tough opponents.

Gerba for Canada was a beast.

12 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

edit. Perhaps Jozy and Cava would be better football comparisons. I'd say Ayo carries less mass than either of them.

That's the proper comparison, because that is who he does play most like.  And yes, he does carry less mass than either of them but that's because he's 2 - 3 inches shorter than them.  Having said that, he's also quicker than either of them, so pros and cons...

6 minutes ago, GasPed said:

That's the proper comparison, because that is who he does play most like.  And yes, he does carry less mass than either of them but that's because he's 2 - 3 inches shorter than them.  Having said that, he's also quicker than either of them, so pros and cons...

Fair. He also seems to carry more mass in his lower body than upper whereas Cava and Jozy just carry mass everywhere, especially in their shoulders, back, chest. Pro or con in your estimation? Then there's Traore 👀Hulk Wolves GIF by MolaTV

16 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

^This. And his 15 goals in 31 appearances for Canada is an insane strike rate for that era of Canadian soccer. Including goals against tough opponents.

Gerba for Canada was a beast.

4 of them were against St Vincent and the Grenadines so overall CONCACAF strike rates are not necessarily the best metric to judge a player on. Did well for the CMNT at the time but would he make the roster if he was playing right now with players like David, Larin and Cavallini around?

This seems to get raised every time the issue of goals comes up.  Canadian strikers have always banged in goals agains minnows.  Bunbury had a hat trick against Bermuda.  Larin scored against Dominica and Aruba.  DeRo has lots of minnow goals spread around the region.  Etc.  The reality is that it is part of the gig as a Canadian attacker, and Gerba did well for us when very few others were scoring.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

18 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

4 of them were against St Vincent and the Grenadines so overall CONCACAF strike rates are not necessarily the best metric to judge a player on. Did well for the CMNT at the time but would he make the roster if he was playing right now with players like David, Larin and Cavallini around?

Of course he scored some goals against minnows, this is CONCACAF. But that does not make my statement that he had "an insane strike rate for that era of Canadian soccer. Including goals against tough opponents" incorrect.

IMO Gerba would definitely make even today's Canada squad. People seem to have forgotten how good he was.

Anyway, if Ayo becomes a similar player that would be amazing for Canada.

21 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Fair. He also seems to carry more mass in his lower body than upper whereas Cava and Jozy just carry mass everywhere, especially in their shoulders, back, chest. Pro or con in your estimation? Then there's Traore 👀Hulk Wolves GIF by MolaTV

This.  Guys who shrug off tackles, or can use one arm to push guys off, may not be as pretty as Mr. Stepover, but they're every bit as effective if not more so in gaining space, keeping possession, and making plays.  (Of course it helps if said guys can also not pass to the opponent in their end and give up a goal in their final league game. 😉)

But it does matter who you you scored against.   Three quarters of the teams in Conacacaf are minnows so would you guys rather have guy who scored a gazillion goals against minnows over another guy much fewer goals but those goals that he did score, are against Mex, CRC, US, Hon, Jam?  Its not fair to the guy he scores a gazillion against the minnow, but its a reality. 

Thats why (unlike other confederations) you have to take scoring stats with a grain of salt in Concacaf.  I dont pay too much attention to them.  

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

But it does matter who you you scored against.   Three quarter of the teams in Conacacaf are minnows so would you guys rather have guy who scored a gazillion goals against minnows over another guy much fewer goals but those goals he that he does score are against Mex, CRC, US, Hon, Jam?  Its not fair to the guy he scores a gazzillion against the minnow, but its a reality. 

Thats why (unlike other confederations) you have to take scoring stats with a grain of salt in Concacaf.  I dont pay too much attention to them.  

But how is it any different in Europe? Qualifiers for both the WC and the Euros feature a minnow and sometimes 2 in every group. That's every two years. So (just checked) Poland attacker Buksa in MLS got four goals vs San Marino this last round. His total is 5 in 7 games for them. 

Fact is, now our ranking is up, we'll face less minnows and UEFA teams get the same. So their strikers get to fatten their stats more than ours, not less. 

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

But how is it any different in Europe? Qualifiers for both the WC and the Euros feature a minnow and sometimes 2 in every group. That's every two years. So (just checked) Poland attacker Buksa in MLS got four goals vs San Marino this last round. His total is 5 in 7 games for them. 

Fact is, now our ranking is up, we'll face less minnows and UEFA teams get the same. So their strikers get to fatten their stats more than ours, not less. 

In europe, about 25% of the national sides in UEFA are considered minnows.  Realistically, It might be less than that because because every qualifying group has about one minnow however some have two.   In Concacaf, roughly only 25% (or a little bit more, say 33%) of the 35 nations are not minnows.  

Edited by Free kick

21 minutes ago, jonovision said:

^ Exactly. Cristiano Ronaldo has scored 4 against Faroe Islands, 6 against Andorra, and 9 against Luxembourg. Many other lesser opponents in the list as well.

I wouldn’t call Luxembourg a minnow.   Much like Malta, they are not going to qualify but they are not in same category as as the Lietchenstein, the Faroes, Gibralter, San Marino etc.

Edited by Free kick

32 minutes ago, Free kick said:

In europe, about 25% of the national sides in UEFA are considered minnows.  Realistically, It might be less than that because because every qualifying group has about one minnow however some have two.   In Concacaf, roughly 25% (or a little bit more, say 33%) of the 35 nations are not minnows.  

But we're not obliged to play them, and in Europe they are. Every two years. 

Been like that for decades. 

While in Concacaf we haven't had to qualify for the Gold Cup, and to get to a Hex or Octo you may get a few matches every 4 years. If you're ranked higher, not even that. 

The premise that it's easier to rack up goal stats in Concacaf may be true compared to Conmebol, but not compared to UEFA. 

25 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I wouldn’t call Luxembourg a minnow.   Much like Malta, they are not going to qualify but they are not in same category as as the Lietchenstein, the Faroes, Gibralter, San Marino etc.

Malta and Luxembourg were very much minnows until the turn of the century. And still today a Canada-Malta should be a 4 or 5 nothing win.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Malta and Luxembourg were very much minnows until the turn of the century. And still today a Canada-Malta should be a 4 or 5 nothing win.

I seem to recall that we played Malta in a friendly about 10-15 years ago.  I dont recall the result but it certainly wasn’t a 4-5 nothing win.   I recall some discussion here about how surprisingly good they were.

PS.:  found it.  We lost 2-1.

https://www.canadian-soccer.com/poll4.html

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-loses-soccer-friendly-to-malta-1.265120

Edited by Free kick

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

I seem to recall that we played Malta in a friendly about 10-15 years ago.  I dont recall the result but it certainly wasn’t a 4-5 nothing win.   I recall some discussion here about how surprisingly good they were.

PS.:  found it.  We lost 2-1.

https://www.canadian-soccer.com/poll4.html

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/canada-loses-soccer-friendly-to-malta-1.265120

A lot has changed in 10-15 years.

• 5 weeks later...