Ayo Akinola

masster

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Reminds me of an old Lowell Wright.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Kid is super strong at 22!!
He improves his technical side and he’ll be a problem. 

Jozy is the obvious comparison. This kid is legit one of the physically strongest players in MLS. Seen him bully more than a few CBs like they're u17 players

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2022 at 10:31 PM, Sal333 said:

I said earlier and I'll say it again. Akinola is going to Qatar.

I am hopeful seeing him in Qatar as well since I like his profile. 

I haven't watched many games outside of Montreal ones this year, and was a handful against us at the Canadian Championship. How has he been for the other games? Is his comeback on track?

18 minutes ago, Joe1973 said:

I am hopeful seeing him in Qatar as well since I like his profile. 

I haven't watched many games outside of Montreal ones this year, and was a handful against us at the Canadian Championship. How has he been for the other games? Is his comeback on track?

Kind of a mixed bag for me.  He is getting into decent positions but his first touch seems to let him down a fair bit.  He is strong on the ball and able to hold people off, but he doesn’t seem to be on the same page as some of his more skilled teammates like Poz or Oso when it comes to quick give and go plays.  

Hope that is something improves a bit his first touch. Won't be able to play on ball like David does...but if his final touch gets better, would be good. Physical guys like that who could consistently put ball in net would be a good weapon on this team.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 10:40 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Kind of a mixed bag for me.  He is getting into decent positions but his first touch seems to let him down a fair bit.  He is strong on the ball and able to hold people off, but he doesn’t seem to be on the same page as some of his more skilled teammates like Poz or Oso when it comes to quick give and go plays.  

He's a physical specimen who can outmuscle guys but his technical skills let him down and his reaction and anticipation aren't doing him any favours right now, either:  he always seem a half beat off the pace in getting position and then contesting 50-50s against a defender.

I know some guys take anlong while to come back  from cruciate reconstruction like his but if he didn't have a maple leaf on his passport, I suspect he'd be getting a lot of stick on here. 

When the Italian attacking duo arrives, is it he or Jimenez who goes to the bench?

Edited by BearcatSA

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

He's a physical specimen who can outmuscle guys but his technical skills let him down and his reaction and anticipation aren't doing him any favours right now, either:  he always seem a half beat off the pace in getting position and then contesting 50-50s against a defender.

I know some guys take anlong while to come back  from cruciate reconstruction like his but if he didn't have a maple leaf on his passport, I suspect he'd be getting a lot of stick on here. 

When the Italian attacking duo arrives, is it he or Jimenez who goes to the bench?

Jimenez has lost his scoring touch recently but tbf hasn't had many chances to score . Could be a reflection of poor team play. I suspect he will start with the 2 Italians. Although caught offside twice, Ayo is still a good finisher but his game is a bit limited. What Ayo needs is a mid with a quick release.  If MAK can find the form he had with Vela it would be ideal for Ayo's skill set running off the shoulder of the CB

Edited by Kadenge

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Jimenez has lost his scoring touch recently but tbf hasn't had many chances to score . Could be a reflection of poor team play. I suspect he will start with the 2 Italians. Although caught offside twice, Ayo is still a good finisher but his game is a bit limited. What Ayo needs is a mid with a quick release.  If MAK can find the form he had with Vela it would be ideal for Ayo's skillet running off the shoulder of the CB

I agree with the bolded part.  However, I also agree that chemistry with Kaye's skillset will help him a ton.  Running onto his slide rule passes in the gaps between the (too) many mediocre CBs in this league could lead to a goal harvest for him.

12 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I suspect it will be Ayo, although maybe he starts next Saturday if they prioritize the V-Cup final which is only 3 days later with a cross-country flight in between.

Jiminez has many weaknesses in his game - he's too slow, not tough enough to outmuscle defenders as a #9 and weak in the air. But the two Italians may link up with him better because Jimenez is (right now at least) a better passer than Ayo, who is stronger than him in all of the respects I just listed. And with the firepower and ability to shoot from distance that Insigne and Bernadeschi bring (thankfully!) this may mean that they don't rely as much on the #9 for goals but to be a link up man.

Ayo's timing has, as noted, been off thus far, although I didn't like the fact that the two camera angles they showed on the replay were from horrific angles where you couldn't tell whether he was on-side or not as Kamal Miller isn't even in shot in one of them.

45 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

I suspect it will be Ayo, although maybe he starts next Saturday if they prioritize the V-Cup final which is only 3 days later with a cross-country flight in between.

Jiminez has many weaknesses in his game - he's too slow, not tough enough to outmuscle defenders as a #9 and weak in the air. But the two Italians may link up with him better because Jimenez is (right now at least) a better passer than Ayo, who is stronger than him in all of the respects I just listed. And with the firepower and ability to shoot from distance that Insigne and Bernadeschi bring (thankfully!) this may mean that they don't rely as much on the #9 for goals but to be a link up man.

Akinola is more like a Gerba, a guy who could find the net but not strong in other facets despite his physical attributes.  There is a reason why he had more clubs than Jack Nicklaus (an homage to the British Open and it's excellent finsl round battle today).  Akinola could possibly  become a better linking player, hard to say.  Right now, I'm guessing the Spaniard might be the better fit for the two newby Itatians.

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Shame to say he's not getting it done anymore. He needs a new environment.

Whitecaps apparently pushed hard for him in the off season but he chose to re-sign. Wonder how he would have done there and whether there is still interest. I expect they are looking at Lowell Wright to step up though. Ongaro too. 

12 hours ago, blueseeka said:

Yeah, he is barely even noticable. Jimenez hasn't done much either lately so he may still get a shot

this. I missed the last 2 or 3 mins, but I thought Ayo was holding the ball up quite well. I mean TFC were playing the long ball with being 1 up, and he was winning the battle in bringing the ball down

18 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Bradley Sr. doesn’t seem to like to switch things up good or bad, but I’m hoping he gives Ayo a chance with this new look team… might get him going.

It’s more clear cut who he’s competing with now positionally. I think he’ll get a chance, as long as Jimenez isn’t hot.

To be fair, it was a solid header that he still got a lot of power on it.  I’d like to see him get a start.  At least he’s getting some opportunities to score unlike Jiminez.

wish he has put away one of those chances but at least TFC should on the follow up play the keeper made on his save.

Edited by Corazon

6 hours ago, sose said:

Looked more dangerous than Jiminez but he should have finished at least 1 if not both of his clear chances.

I don’t blame Ayo for not scoring on the second.  It was a great header and the keeper pulled off a really nice save.  AA did what he was supposed to do on that play IMO.