Ayo Akinola

masster

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Can’t be lost in here… he said he wasn’t willing to play, USA was the only program he knew, and that he started at 14…. Very telling about our youth program.

With our grassroots development system now in place we definitely need to jump start our youth program. Can't simply rely on Herdman to continue to bring back guys like Ayo &Theo

3 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

Because Larin is on a yellow card; I don’t expect him to play.  Herdman can’t risk him getting a 2nd yellow.

Akinola should get the start instead, or Canada will change formations and go more conservative.

Larin isn’t on a yellow card, but he might be rested regardless. 

I think Larin starts from the bench and they go with Ayo and Hoilett up front to start, with Larin playing a role at some point and Cav unlikely to play due to his yellow. Yes we have a week rest but it's the short turn around from last game that we need to consider.

This game as all about bragging rights. 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

With our grassroots development system now in place we definitely need to jump start our youth program. Can't simply rely on Herdman to continue to bring back guys like Ayo &Theo

We do because we’re about to be hit with a solid group of Atleast 24 under 21, across different youth groups. I think we’re going to be very strong at the youth level very fast. 

8 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Really when was this .

Before the U20 World Cup in 2007 he published this blog post about how Canada stinks and will always be bad and people shouldn't expect them to be competitive.  Also went on a rant about how he doesn't support Canada because he's an England fan and there is no room for divided loyalties with the obligatory telling of how much he has suffered supporting England through all the heartbreak.  Followed with a condescending lecture to unsophisticated Canadians who would never understand because they don't understand what good football is bla bla blah.  It's disturbing and petty how much I remember from it but I just remember reading it and wanting to stab this douche through the monitor.

Load me up by M Good has some ok soccer video footage and honestly a great Canadian band Alt 90’s jam ……Big Shinny Tunes level tune 

More Importantly - that Ayo video makes this French Born, came to Canada at 18 months, ex Yugo , Bosna heritage parents Serb,LOVE this country and what it brings to all of us ….#bestcountryintheworld

12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Can’t be lost in here… he said he wasn’t willing to play, USA was the only program he knew, and that he started at 14…. Very telling about our youth program.

More telling about our youth coaches who tend to look out for themselves first. Ayo didn't make a team, so his coach called on the US program. 

1 hour ago, Markoaleks said:

Load me up by M Good has some ok soccer video footage and honestly a great Canadian band Alt 90’s jam ……Big Shinny Tunes level tune 

More Importantly - that Ayo video makes this French Born, came to Canada at 18 months, ex Yugo , Bosna heritage parents Serb,LOVE this country and what it brings to all of us ….#bestcountryintheworld

This brings me back. Him and his band created some good late nineties, early oughts post grunge, alternative rock. It's a shame he felt that way about Canadian soccer. Maybe he's changed his tune now. 

12 hours ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Going to go ahead and speculate Ayo blew his ACL.  Hoping I'm wrong.

That said, he really needs to dedicate himself to fitness.  He's visibly overweight and lost a step.  

If he blew his ACL he wouldn't be able to walk. I know from experience. If he did damage to his ACL it probably wasn't a full tear. Hopefully it is just a sprain or an MCL rather than an ACL. Those are less problematic.

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

If he blew his ACL he wouldn't be able to walk. I know from experience. If he did damage to his ACL it probably wasn't a full tear. Hopefully it is just a sprain or an MCL rather than an ACL. Those are less problematic.

There have been a number of instances of athletes finishing games with torn ACLs. Mickey Mantle famously played baseball with a torn ACL for ten years. Zach Hyman skated on a torn ACL for half a playoff series in 2019. The level of pain has to do more with damage done as a result of the ACL no longer doing its job and not the tear itself.

1 minute ago, harrycoyster said:

There have been a number of instances of athletes finishing games with torn ACLs. Mickey Mantle famously played baseball with a torn ACL for ten years. Zach Hyman skated on a torn ACL for half a playoff series in 2019. The level of pain has to do more with damage done as a result of the ACL no longer doing its job and not the tear itself.

Yah - I have no idea if he tore his ACL or not but the fact that he walked off on his own power is irrelevant.  

29 minutes ago, harrycoyster said:

When I did my ACL I also tore my MCL and meniscus disk at the same time, probably why I couldn't walk off. 

If he has an ACL tear his tournament is over, but the fact he did walk off is encouraging, I guess. It likely means the rest of the knee was not compromised. 

Edit: I am not familiar with those examples, but if he had a complete tear he would have likely had knee damage elsewhere, right? Perhaps a partially tear (hopefully no tear at all), but "blew" his ACL is probably unlikely. 

Edited by Obinna

4 hours ago, Floortom said:

Yah - I have no idea if he tore his ACL or not but the fact that he walked off on his own power is irrelevant.  

Yeah, Hurt like Hell, but I walked off the pitch when I tore mine. Get well soon Ayo

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Edit: I am not familiar with those examples, but if he had a complete tear he would have likely had knee damage elsewhere, right? Perhaps a partially tear (hopefully no tear at all), but "blew" his ACL is probably unlikely. 

Partial tears are very rare and require the removal of the ligament for athletes anyways. ACLs aren't regenerative, so a partial tear is a time bomb. In most non-contact ACL tears, the ACL is the only thing to pop. This is because the tears aren't caused strictly by severe hyperextension as much as it is by a moment of high torque. The joint will swell quickly (that's what the dreaded ACL test is feeling for), but there isn't major structural damage and the leg can still function in a limited capacity.

If the knee continues to torque past the point of the ACL tear, you tear your meniscus next, then MCL/LCL depending on the direction of the twist, then PCL...past that your leg is being held together by skin and hamstring. The further down that list you go the more pain and inability to walk. Generally the 'twist' that caused these injuries are quite noticeable. 

2 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Partial tears are very rare and require the removal of the ligament for athletes anyways. ACLs aren't regenerative, so a partial tear is a time bomb. In most non-contact ACL tears, the ACL is the only thing to pop. This is because the tears aren't caused strictly by severe hyperextension as much as it is by a moment of high torque. The joint will swell quickly (that's what the dreaded ACL test is feeling for), but there isn't major structural damage and the leg can still function in a limited capacity.

If the knee continues to torque past the point of the ACL tear, you tear your meniscus next, then MCL/LCL depending on the direction of the twist, then PCL...past that your leg is being held together by skin and hamstring. The further down that list you go the more pain and inability to walk. Generally the 'twist' that caused these injuries are quite noticeable. 

Safe to say that Akinola never suffered a partial tear then, considering we know there's a 4-6 week timeline for return.