Ayo Akinola

masster

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So I won't say I was wrong, since he just participated and played in a US camp. But I will say that we should, probably, keep this thread where it is. And not close it as I suggested, that was, thankfully, a poorly expressed opinion.

I can understand him wanting to play at the olympics. I get that I do, but he’s gotta be real longterm is he really going to be better than Weah, Sargent and whomever the US has in the pipeline or recruits ? 

let’s say he has another gear and his jozy level (I think this is actually possible) he’s our starter and would be involved with the USA in a depth role at the least, probably more. 

if he gets that I get why he’d go usa, but man looking at that review mirror you’ve got to question yourself.

There is keeping your options open, and then there is playing the field. One is rational the other is self serving. Unless his time at the US camp convinced him his future is with us ... this feels like an egregious version of the latter. Hope he picks us. But. Not lovin it.

Edited by The Real Marc

52 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

There is keeping your options open, and then there is playing the field. One is rational the other is self serving. Unless his time at the US camp convinced him his future is with us ... this feels like an egregious version of the latter. Hope he picks us. But. Not lovin it.

Have to disagree.  He had been involved continuously with the US for years now.  Consistently repped them as a youth player.  Now he accepts a call to a Canadian camp?  And right after playing for them in a friendly?   If anyone should feel aggrieved it is them.  We are the ones who made gains with this announcement.  

Hook him in now then guilt him in for March when the big guns are back in the squad.

JH "That was just a taste Ayo.. just wait til you get to train with phonzie and the others..."

AA "Ah ok you got me.."

JH "Did you file the one time switch?"

AA "Yep"

JH "Cool.. so about March.. you didnt make the cut. Olympic squad is cool though right?"

AA "Mailmaaaaannn"

Edited by toontownman

Let's be honest... if Canada makes the Olympics... having Davies on that team is a HUGE advantage... we already know what he is capable of against the best of seasoned pros.. And having guys like Ayo/David just makes the chances of getting a medal that much better. IMO it'll be harder to qualify to the Olympics themselves than to perform well at them if we make it.

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

Let's be honest... if Canada makes the Olympics... having Davies on that team is a HUGE advantage... we already know what he is capable of against the best of seasoned pros.. And having guys like Ayo/David just makes the chances of getting a medal that much better. IMO it'll be harder to qualify to the Olympics themselves than to perform well at them if we make it.

Davies and David won’t be at the olympics.

13 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Ayo is doing exactly what any player his age with options should do. This is a career long commitment.

It is very unusual for a player who has over 50 youth games with one country, and was just in a senior men's call-up, to go to a camp with another country. That is not done hardly ever, it is absolutely exceptional. Especially when he has not expressed anything explicitly negative about the US programme.

I personally wonder if him taking the knee after scoring in the last match he played for the US, upraised fist, head bowed, on one knee, is part of the puzzle. Part of the puzzle that might explain why he might think of an option other than the US. I am not sure I need to flesh this idea out, but I just wonder if it is in play.

Could just be going through the motions either honestly (I am sure there is some conflict, especially playing in Canada for a Canadian team) or just to appease everyone, showing that he is conflicted and gave both a chance. 

No coincidence lots of his TFC teammates are called up with him imo. It works both ways and having lots of his close friends around him will certainly help guilt him!

9 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I believe by accepting this call that he has chosen us vs US (😎). Why else would he switch? We're not exactly Brazil, Italy, etc. He has to file his one time switch for him to play in March. I guess we'll know soon enough (finally).

as far as I know, the nuance of the fact that we're playing 'scrimmages' and not official friendlies means that Ayo (and Marcelo, to that extent) would not have to file OTSs to attend camp plays a part here - of course, all bets are off in March, I suppose.

7 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Davies and David won’t be at the olympics.

Their clubs have to release them for the Gold Cup. The CSA can negotiate that the release be for the Olympics instead of the Gold Cup since both tournaments overlap. This is what Brazil did for Neymar.

Olympics:

July 22nd to August 7th https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics (max of 6 matches over 17 days)

Gold Cup:

July 10th to August 1st https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup (max of 6 matches over 23 days)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

The thing that I find odd about this, is that the US is also having a camp. Ayo would, I assume, also be called for this. So if he plans on playing for the US then why come to our camp? Especially since we will likely be in the same facilities as them. Seems like a rather uncessary, awkward situation. 

As close as he probably is with some US players and coaches from over the years he has 6 of his own teammates with Canada. Rather than guys he sees periodically throughout the year, this is 6 other guys that he plays with day in and day out, travels with, compete together, and presumably is good friends with.. that has to be a big sway in our direction.

16 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I can understand him wanting to play at the olympics. I get that I do, but he’s gotta be real longterm is he really going to be better than Weah, Sargent and whomever the US has in the pipeline or recruits? 

Dike stands out to me.  I like his ceiling.  

32 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Their clubs have to release them for the Gold Cup. The CSA can negotiate that the release be for the Olympics instead of the Gold Cup since both tournaments overlap. This is what Brazil did for Neymar.

Olympics:

July 22nd to August 7th https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2020_Summer_Olympics (max of 6 matches over 17 days)

Gold Cup:

July 10th to August 1st https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_CONCACAF_Gold_Cup (max of 6 matches over 23 days)

I would imagine that if Canada makes the olympics the csa and fifa would want them in that tourney

2 hours ago, top cheese said:

I would imagine that if Canada makes the olympics the csa and fifa would want them in that tourney

FIFA doesn't care. WC is their money maker. Canada isn't hosting.

With qualifiers in June and in the fall, does Herdman really want to them playing in all these matches. This also means D&D aren't playing in the Gold Cup.

With Euro pre-season training starting in July, do their clubs want them to have no vacation time, miss the season start in August and not really be part of the club till September.

On 12/24/2020 at 9:09 AM, bfque8 said:

as far as I know, the nuance of the fact that we're playing 'scrimmages' and not official friendlies means that Ayo (and Marcelo, to that extent) would not have to file OTSs to attend camp plays a part here - of course, all bets are off in March, I suppose.

That's what I meant, the OTS's was for March 2021.   

And I wouldn't be surprised (and wouldn't blame them) if the US doesn't ever call him again. He probably told them he's sticking with us anyways.😀

Merry Christmas and a much better New Year to all.

Edited by MtlMario

2 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

What makes you believe so? Players get one shot in their life to compete for an Olympic medal, and big clubs have released their stars to allow them that opportunity

Herdman said once you graduate to the senior team you graduate to it, and I’d believe that he would want Davies and David for the GC.

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Herdman said once you graduate to the senior team you graduate to it, and I’d believe that he would want Davies and David for the GC.

But the Olympics are different.  It’s not a normal youth team and it’s not a normal tournament.

Aside from the World Cup this is really the largest sporting event out there.  All eyes are on the Olympics and it’s a matter of national prestige.