Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

Well I guess the Canadian national team has come along way no? It was not long ago where this national team still had a few players playing for that popular club Unattached FC, now people on here are complaining that a player is going to the MLS lol. People keep forgetting that national teams like the US and Costa Rica have advanced past their group stage and both countries have won World Cup knock out rounds with more than a few MLS players on their rosters and starting lineups, beating top 10 world ranked national teams at that. Moreover, the MLS caliber has improved since the US and Costa Rica had good runs at World Cups with many MLS players on their rosters , so not concerned at all with having more Canadians in the MLS like a Cavallini . Let’s concern ourselves with this suspect coach that we have at the moment who is lucky right now to have some of the best Canadian talent Canada has ever had in front of him let’s hope he really knows what he is doing.

Edited by SoccMan

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

MDS was fined by MLS for saying that the "league was like a prison"

You'll excuse my lack of enthusiasm for this

He was technically fined for saying the league is "amateurish" for having such a long off season. He said the prison thing also which I'm sure contributed 

54 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Why he's going to the most storied team in North America. The best city to live in in North America and the team which gives the most opportunities to Canadian players. Seems like the best place for him

They have your season ticket money

17 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Well this is definitely disappointing as he will spend his prime career years in MLS instead of a more competitive league....

MLS is improving as the years pass, so that's not as much of a concern as it used to be. Having some of our top CMNT players in high media profile starting roles in MLS playing in front of Canadian fans in a Canadian city is exactly what we need to grow our sport and get more of our top athletes to choose soccer as their pathway to fame and fortune as teenagers.

Wow didn't see that one coming, but congrats on the man getting paid, well deserved. 

I'm confident MDS will find a way to use him to the best of his abilities. 

I also think Vancouver is a great city to raise a family, no knocking Puebla ...  but yaaaaa, overall I think it is a great decision for him & his family, Whitecaps & the CMNT. 

All the best to him in 2020.

Side note, with the Fifa video game being based in Vancouver... I'm hoping Fifa will make his card as beast mode as they did with the hidden gem Hurtado card(when Hurtado played for VWC) 

Edited by apbsmith
*Hurtado

8 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Do we know if he’s on a DP contract?  I assume he is.

I’m never going to complain about top Canadian players getting paid in Canada.  I think it’s good for both the player and country’s pool to be honest.

Might get me to watch some MLS league matches for the 1st time since whenever.  Maybe.

LOL.  Does pretty much polish off OneSoccer for me until the CanPL season starts though.

If in the end the numbers work for Cav you can't expect him to say no, whatever his ambitions might be.  An employer saying they believe in you and putting their money where their mouth is always a good thing. 

While going from Liga MX to MLS is a big step down in league quality, this might not be a bad move. Puebla is near the bottom of the standings (let's just ignore how the Whitecaps did last year) and I assume a lot of the time he didn't see much of the ball. I know Vancouver looked terrible going forward at times this year but I think he'll have a good chance to be the highest scoring domestic player next season.

Honestly though, the main thing that I like with this signing is the fact that it gives me a reason to watch the Whitecaps this year. I want them to start doing well, maybe they can win a trophy like TFC ;)

Big step down? Step down I'll give you that but big step down is a bit much. 

I'll also point out that Yordy Reyna is a top player and so is Inbeom. Fredy Montero was good in the box but old and slow in the un of play. What I'm saying is even with more signings to come Cavallini has pieces around him

Big step down? Step down I'll give you that but big step down is a bit much. 

I'll also point out that Yordy Reyna is a top player and so is Inbeom. Fredy Montero was good in the box but old and slow in the run of play. Cavallini is What I'm saying is even with more signings to come Cavallini has pieces around him