Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

10 hours ago, VinceA said:

Vancouver are in discussion with Cavs and his option. Looks like they want to keep him but not as a DP. We'll see if he opts to stay or not. I'm leaning towards no.

I've heard it's more along the lines of they're going to exercise the option and then work with him to move him somewhere he wants to be.  Recoup some of the initial transfer cost.

Edited by Watchmen

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I've heard it's more along the lines of they're going to exercise the option and then work with him to move him somewhere he wants to be.  Recoup some of the initial transfer cost.

I think you nailed it there.  They're going to recoup as much as they can.

45 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Except both things can be true.  The Whitecaps can be attempting to sign him for less money.  If they're unsuccessful, there's nothing stopping them from picking up his option and selling him on.  The "he could leave on a free" is technically true, but seems unlikely.  Again, we're not talking about recouping the millions they got him for, but more like a few $100k.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Am I right in thinking that Home Growns are automatically protected?

Yes those are the rules. Even if they are a traded homegrown.

Example: Petrasso won’t have to be protected by Orlando as TFC homegrown player.

Stupid rules, as I think as soon as you are traded your HG tag should disappear to a simple domestic player. I also think your HG tag should always remain as long as you are with your HG club, no matter the amount your salary increase to. 

But hey, thats MLS and every year I care less.

55 minutes ago, Shway said:

Yes those are the rules. Even if they are a traded homegrown.

Example: Petrasso won’t have to be protected by Orlando as TFC homegrown player.

I dont mind that.  It gives the teams (any team) a little more incentive to develop their own or get someone else HG.  Give more rewards to the teams that focus on developing youngsters.  

If MLS wanted to get properly serious about player development, they'd let players keep the HG tag as long as they remained with their original club, and max out the cap hit for a homegrown at the league minimum. In that way, Montreal could offer whatever raise to Kone that they could afford/deem appropriate, but not have it kill them on the overall salary cap. You'd let teams develop star players and retain them for as long as possible.

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I dont mind that.  It gives the teams (any team) a little more incentive to develop their own or get someone else HG.  Give more rewards to the teams that focus on developing youngsters.  

(If your just referring to what you quoted) Not really….

Their value doesn’t change, they are the equivalent to trading for a first round draft pick. 

The rewards for developing your young players is in the part you left out. For example, FC Dallas should be one of the consistent best teams in the league due to the fact that their squad has a lot of HG consistent contributors. They should have a larger salary relief based on what I said. 

A homegrown tag is only temporarily, if a player signs a larger contract or graduates to a senior roster spot (I.e Jesus Ferreira, Jordan Morris, Ayo Akinola) it’s gone and is only a mere reference point.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong

5 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

If MLS wanted to get properly serious about player development, they'd let players keep the HG tag as long as they remained with their original club, and max out the cap hit for a homegrown at the league minimum. In that way, Montreal could offer whatever raise to Kone that they could afford/deem appropriate, but not have it kill them on the overall salary cap. You'd let teams develop star players and retain them for as long as possible.

This is exactly what I’ve said, and been saying.

This is the real incentive, and allows the league to really focus on growth while bringing in talent whether old or young.

I agree with Shway and SthMelbRed. I remember back in 2011ish, when Aron Winter was going to turn TFC into Ajax and in a few years we would have a starting lineup filled with amazing homegrown players, I thought way back then the rules were stupid. If you have an amazing academy and are able to produce a starting 11 of players that all deserve 5 million per year, you should be allowed to keep them and pay them that at the homegrown cap hit.

But MLS is ridiculous. I don't think anyone with MLS rule changing power has sat down and questioned why they have these rules in the first place. If it's for parity, like so many people claim, well then it's not working (TFC spending $26 million, Galaxy spending $14 million, and the bottom few teams spending $5 million). If it's to avoid reckless spending to keep teams from folding, well, it's not working. To use TFC as an example, they are paying one guy $14 million and that is encouraged by the MLS rules. The MLS rules are just discouraging them from, say, giving a $100k raise to Jayden Nelson.

Teams could be better with the same money they are currently spending, by spending it more evenly across the roster. But instead they have all these convoluted rules to try to penny pinch the lower paid players in the league, while they can recklessly spend money on the top few players.