Lucas Cavallini

section114row20

After the experience in Vancouver, this is a great development.  This will keep him in the striker pool for the Nats and force guys like Ugbo and (hopefully) Jebbo to up their game.    Competition for spots is always healthy and having Cav still competing at a high level is good news for everyone.   

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

Going to take this time to ask the most pressing question:

how does Liga MX actually work? There are two, completely independent seasons each year, each which holds no bearing on the other, and no relegations at all? Why to all of that?

They also have playoffs on top of that.

Latin America loves the Apertura/Clausura format. But I'm not sure most other nations have a big playoff like LIga MX

Lucas Cavallini: New reinforcement Xoloitzcuintle
xolos.com.mx February 1 2023

The Canadian striker from MLS is a new player in the pack

The Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente officially reports the signing of Lucas Cavallini as a new reinforcement for the Clausura 2023, he comes from the Vancouver Whitecaps of the MLS.

Xoloitzcuintle X-ray:
Name: Lucas Daniel Cavallini
Birth: Toronto, Ontario.
Nationality: Canadian
Height: 1.82 m.
Profile: Left.
Clubs: Nacional (Uruguay), CA Juventud (Uruguay), CA Fénix (Uruguay), Peñarol (Uruguay), Puebla and Vancouver Whitecaps.

"Cavagol" is a Canadian national team member and was called up in the recent Qatar 2022 World Cup.

The "Bull" is characterized by being a finisher, technical and with physical strength, currently he is already in Tijuana to put himself under the orders of coach Ricardo Valiño.

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Going to take this time to ask the most pressing question:

how does Liga MX actually work? There are two, completely independent seasons each year, each which holds no bearing on the other, and no relegations at all? Why to all of that?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Latin America loves the Apertura/Clausura format. But I'm not sure most other nations have a big playoff like LIga MX

Yes, top 8 for playoffs, I believe.

They used to have pro/rel but the big clubs decided (I presume) it was more lucrative to have a closed league similar to the American model.

Very happy to see Cavallini landing on his feet here.

Edited by Metro

The Estadio Caliente Xoloitzcuintles is a multi-use stadium in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, that is mostly used for football matches.

The stadium hosts home matches for the football club Club Tijuana, who play in Liga MX, Mexico's top league. Estadio Caliente is also the home of the gridiron football team, Galgos de Tijuana, that competes in the LFA.

The stadium was opened in November 2007, according to schedule. The stadium originally had a capacity of 13,333. Work on the stadium still continues today. The stadium will have a final capacity of 33,333 once completed.

The construction of the stadium was planned in two parts. The first part finished the ground and lower sections of the stadium. In the second phase, the stadium's capacity was increased. As of 2022, the stadium is still under construction.

Location    Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
Capacity    27,333
Field size   103 × 68 meters
Surface      Artificial turf (Due to hot springs under stadium floor that impede grass growth)

Construction
Broke ground  August 2006
Opened  November 11, 2007
Construction cost  USD 30 million

MFu8d9v.png

pKmn0y8.jpg

3 hours ago, narduch said:

And it's only the champions of both seasons that face each other, there's no other tie between the two competitions?

That's like the MLB set up they had in 1981 where my Expos were deprived of a World Series birth because of a late homer in a game that shouldn't have taken place in the first place. Therefore, bad system IMO.

14 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

And it's only the champions of both seasons that face each other, there's no other tie between the two competitions?

That's like the MLB set up they had in 1981 where my Expos were deprived of a World Series birth because of a late homer in a game that shouldn't have taken place in the first place. Therefore, bad system IMO.

I don't really know how Mexico works. Their playoffs have 8 teams?

3 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

3 hours ago, narduch said:

I don't really know how Mexico works. Their playoffs have 8 teams?

I don't think they have a "Super Cup" match between the Apertura and Clausera champions.

Playoffs for top 8 teams; 1v8, 2v7, etc. tiebreak goes to the higher seed (ie. no BS penalties)

EDIT: the playoffs were the reason why CONCACAF used to schedule the CCL to end ridiculously early as in April.  It was so that the Final would not conflict with the Mexican playoffs.

Edited by Metro

On 2/2/2023 at 1:02 PM, InglewoodJack said:

You are blowing my mind right now. I didn't know what you were talking about so I looked up the 1981 standings. I had no idea there was any sort of split season. I see now it was due to a player strike, but still, I had no idea. That was only maybe 6 or 7 years before I started having some awareness of MLB.

I'm not sure why Game 5 of the NLCS in 1981 shouldn't have taken place though....is it because Cincinnati and St. Louis had the best record in each division if you combine the two "halves" of the season? Even if they had gone with best overall record over the split seasons, that still wouldn't have helped the Expos. In any case, the four teams who qualified for the playoffs by virtue of leading the division at the time of the strike had nothing to play for in the second half of the season so naturally their intensity would drop and their records would plummet accordingly, which is what happened.