Jonathan Osorio

Wingback6

40 minutes ago, Keegan said:

I agree, now is the time to move.  You don’t  want to be wondering what could have been like us with derosario.  If he could get to a higher level I think he can push his game to another level yet.. he’s handled all challenges over the past couple years great and his Canada performances he’s also improved.

I would be sad to see Osorio go. He's really had an amazing season and leads the club in appearances. A few more seasons like that and he'll cement himself as a club legend. Or, he can go to a mid level Bundesliga club....

Either way, he keeps improving and that is what matters from a Canadian perspective. 

Edited by Obinna

9 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be sad to see Osorio go. He's really had an amazing season and leads the club in appearances. A few more seasons like that and he'll cement himself as a club legend. Or, he can go to a mid level Bundesliga club....

Either way, he keeps improving and that is what matters from a Canadian perspective. 

One is settling for comfort, the other could take him to new heights AND then he can come back and earn big money as he deserves.  As it stands he’ll never be paid what he deserves just like de Rosario never was - this league doesn’t reward your play in the league it rewards what you do abroad.

1 hour ago, Keegan said:

One is settling for comfort, the other could take him to new heights AND then he can come back and earn big money as he deserves.  As it stands he’ll never be paid what he deserves just like de Rosario never was - this league doesn’t reward your play in the league it rewards what you do abroad.

With the speed MLS is improving, I am just not sure that's necessarily true anymore.

The league is far better now then when de Rosario was flirting with Celtic.

I do agree though that a move abroad could take him to new heights, BUT at the same time, he is also taking his game to new heights right here in MLS.

I would be shocked (in a good way) if Osorio moves to a low to mid level Bundesliga club and stands out to the point where he jumps up another level. 

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

He is not playing in the premier league now. Unless you mean Scottish prem :)

yes, and this is why I am not 100% sure Scotty starts over Oso. He probably does, but Oso is nipping at his heels. The technical quality of Oso's play and the maturity are what really impress me. He rarely makes a poor play or loses the ball cheaply. He's become a much smarter footballer in the last year or so.

3 hours ago, Keegan said:

My favourite play from last night was one early on at the halfway line when he was under pressure and threw a nice body feint to reverse direction and chipped an effortless ball over the top to a teammate. Not sure if anyone else remembers it but it was class. 

Totally agree. 

What impressed me last night was his ball control in tight spaces. It's nothing new, but my jaw still drops when I see it.

Incredible feet.

As for Oso versus Scotty, I don't see why we wouldn't play both. Kaye being out to injury makes it simpler. A midfield 3 with Piette Osorio and Arfield. 

If Hutchinson is a go, then I really don't know who sits. I think it comes down to form honestly, as it should. Finally we have the luxury to pick our midfield based on form. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

What impressed me last night was his ball control in tight spaces. It's nothing new, but my jaw still drops when I see it.

That,  he has always had.  And i have said many times in past. 

This is why I believed all along that Floro was a lousy coach.  The worst we have ever had.   In the last round of WCQ,  not only should have been called,  but he should have been starting.  We did not have and have not had that type of player for as long as I can recall.  

Edit:  one last point, i am convince that, had Osorio played for the whitecaps all this time instead of TFC, he would have had a better chnace of playing for Canada.

Edited by Free kick

28 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Edit:  one last point, i am convince that, had Osorio played for the whitecaps all this time instead of TFC, he would have had a better chnace 

How so?  He seems to be thriving within TFC.  The internal competition with other good players for playing time appears to be doing him good.  It's not clear to me that just getting more game time would have made him better.

11 minutes ago, rkomar said:

How so?  He seems to be thriving within TFC.  The internal competition with other good players for playing time appears to be doing him good.  It's not clear to me that just getting more game time would have made him better.

You missed my point.   What i am alledging is that under Floro and the current CSA,  there is evidence of bias towards the Whitecaps to the detriment of Toronto and even to a less extent Montreal.  I saw this under floro in regards to player usage and evaluation.

i had no complaints regarding the fact that Vancouver got all the WCQ, they put on a first class effort. No complaints.   But the fact that all the key games were played there, is alsoevidence of a tilt. 

other than that i agree with what you are saying.

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

You missed my point.   What i am alledging is that under Floro and the current CSA,  there is evidence of bias towards the Whitecaps to the detriment of Toronto and even to a less extent Montreal.  I saw this under floro in regards to player usage and evaluation.

other than that i agree with what you are saying.

Yes, I missed that.  Thanks for expanding.

Bias toward Vancouver in WCQ never happened.. we played matches there because we sold tickets there.  And to be fair to Floro Osorio was half the player in 2015/16 that he is now... let's not forget that.  Osorio had 3 league goals over that span and wasn't exactly a defensive stud - fast forward and he has 8 goals this season AND is responsible defensively. 

25 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Bias toward Vancouver in WCQ never happened.. we played matches there because we sold tickets there.  And to be fair to Floro Osorio was half the player in 2015/16 that he is now... let's not forget that.  Osorio had 3 league goals over that span and wasn't exactly a defensive stud - fast forward and he has 8 goals this season AND is responsible defensively. 

How do you explain the minutes that Teibert got?  Try this:   

The mls soccer web page allow you pull up all historical data on any player in league.  Including season by season.  Go there and see for yourself.  Forget this season, Pull this up for both players their career stats and years by years stats (minutes played, goals, assists etc etc).  

I could give other examples but i wont because this is probably a can or worms we dont want to open. 

He is not a defensive stud now either. Because, thats not his role, there areother players in MF for which that is their roles. He is an attacking Mid, not a box to box mid so whatever he gives you defenively is a bonus.   Vasquez is an attacking mid as well, thats his primary role.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Free kick said:

How do you explain the minutes that Teibert got?  Try this:   

The mls soccer web page allow you pull up all historical data on any player in league.  Including season by season.  Go there and see for yourself.  Forget this season, Pull this up for both players their career stats and years by years stats (minutes played, goals, assists etc etc).  

I could give other examples but i wont because this is probably a can or worms we dont want to open. 

He is not a defensive stud now either. Because, thats not his role, there areother players in MF for which that is their roles. He is an attacking Mid, not a box to box mid so whatever he gives you defenively is a bonus.   Vasquez is an attacking mid as well, thats his primary role.

I think you answered your own question.. Floro as we all know liked his favourites who tended to be defensive.  Teibert wasn’t a favourite either, there were always calls for him to get more time but he was favoured by Floro more presumably based on style.  Teibert wasn’t favoured because he was on Vancouver .. what evidence is there to that?  Was he biased toward Montreal as well with all the Quebec guys?

What supposed connection would he have to Vancouver? Prior to our Honduras game we had played in Toronto. 

Edited by Keegan

8 hours ago, Obinna said:

With the speed MLS is improving, I am just not sure that's necessarily true anymore.

The league is far better now then when de Rosario was flirting with Celtic.

I do agree though that a move abroad could take him to new heights, BUT at the same time, he is also taking his game to new heights right here in MLS.

I would be shocked (in a good way) if Osorio moves to a low to mid level Bundesliga club and stands out to the point where he jumps up another level. 

To elaborate on this point, I should add that given Osorio's age, a transfer to a low to mid table Bundesliga club would likely be his pinnacle.

He could go on to make lateral moves after that point, but at 26 years old I am not sure he has enough time to grow into the sort player that bigger fish take a chance on. 

He'd have to go to Werder Bremen (just an example) and absolutely tear it up right away, probably in his first season, and I just don't see that happening. Best case I see after one season is Osorio winning a starting role and playing a lot of games, but I don't see him being a key player immediately.

He could always go over and learn more from the experience and become a regular in a league far better than MLS. None of what I say is suggesting he shouldn't move on, but rather to question how high he can realistically climb.

Anything is possible of course, but if I was a betting man, I would put money on his European career unfolding similar to how i described. It would be different if he had this season back in 2013.

Just wanted to note it was like a year ago I said Oso could totally hang in Mexico. He's solid and has been underrated by many for years. If he leaves this winter I hope it's to at least a Liga MX side or MLS DP role.

Given the production curve of most soccer players, we're likely seeing Osorio's best or close to it. If he has ambitions beyond MLS than he needs to strike while the iron is hot. On the other hand, there is no shame in being a top player in a decent and improving league. Either way he needs to get himself paid. My gut instinct is that there would be more money for him outside of MLS, but from a MNT perspective it's good for him to be somewhere that he is getting (and earning) an ironclad starting spot.

23 hours ago, Keegan said:

This could be applied to many work environments, even other soccer clubs.  Many great workers get taken for granted by employers, while others who are perhaps less skilled, talented, hardworking, etc, rise higher by  jumping around.  Many bosses like to try out the shinny new toy before recognizing what currently exists and works well. That was certainly the case in the TFC management of Dero's day. Not sure about TFC of today.  With the MLS financial model, TFC has to be thinking multi-year in terms of cap space, allocation money, etc.  In the past 10 months Oso has put himself in the equation, but TFC also has to decide on Giovinco and others.  If they can get rid of Aketxe's contract, they may have room to give Oso the raise he deserves.  

It’s MLS that vetos giving current players higher deals.. de Rosario wasn’t allowed to become a DP.  Think of how nuts that is - league mvp and teams want to make him a DP but it’s not allowed because it would throw the salary structure out of whack.

Its the MLS model.. protect the salary model over all else.  You could lose the next Messi, just for the love of god don’t ever let salaries reach a level of parity based on league play.  

33 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

It's why I almost can't even follow MLS anymore...the salary system is so rigid and restrictive that it's the primary thing holding the league back now imo.

It’s all just so slimey isn’t it?  It’s the epitome of corporate greed in sports - worse than any other North American League by a mile. 

Its fine to buy a guy like Barco for 15 million but pay a league star who has bled for the league?  No way José.  Oh and Barco gets an all star nod over Osorio... laughable. 

Edited by Keegan

38 minutes ago, Keegan said:

It’s all just so slimey isn’t it?  It’s the epitome of corporate greed in sports - worse than any other North American League by a mile. 

Its fine to buy a guy like Barco for 15 million but pay a league star who has bled for the league?  No way José.  Oh and Barco gets an all star nod over Osorio... laughable. 

Well it's being held in Atlanta so.....no surprise.

Oso was on the cusp and didn't make it this time. Shit happens. There's always next year (if he doesn't move abroad, that is).

As good as Oso has been, his non-selection isn't criminal.