Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

1 hour ago, LeoH037 said:

It would be preposterous if the Impact don't give him a chance in the next season, the guy has more than earned it

I can’t see it to be honest.  Our Canadian teams don’t give chances to young Canadian keepers.  Americans pretty regularly get a shot in MLS after impressing in USL/NASL. 

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

I can’t see it to be honest.  Our Canadian teams don’t give chances to young Canadian keepers.  Americans pretty regularly get a shot in MLS after impressing in USL/NASL. 

Would you like to back this statement up with a list of American 'keepers who got a shot in MLS off the back of good performances in USL/NASL, along with a corresponding list of Canadian 'keepers who similarly impressed in USL/NASL but didn't get a chance in MLS due to this apparent bias on the part of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs?

For the record, there may very well be some glaringly obvious examples of both, but I don't follow USL/NASL to any degree and only track the MLS Whitecaps to any significant degree.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Would you like to back this statement up with a list of American 'keepers who got a shot in MLS off the back of good performances in USL/NASL, along with a corresponding list of Canadian 'keepers who similarly impressed in USL/NASL but didn't get a chance in MLS due to this apparent bias on the part of the 3 Canadian MLS clubs?

For the record, there may very well be some glaringly obvious examples of both, but I don't follow USL/NASL to any degree and only track the MLS Whitecaps to any significant degree.

Going off current MLS keepers: Attinella, McCarthy, Miller, Melia, Knighton, Irwin to name a few. 

Canadian keepers never get a shot with our Canadian clubs, that’s just a fact.  I believe Crepeau is the only keeper to have played a league match since we’ve had 3 MLS teams. 

Meanwhile, our Canadian teams haven’t been hesitant to give guys like Bush and Bono shots after impressive lower league performances.  But then you have a guy like Quillan Roberts who was impressing at USL level since he was 20 but never considered for a shot in the same system. 

The Canadians are well known who have sat on rosters without getting a real shot: Thomas, Carducci, Roberts, Crepeau. 

Perhaps its just coincidence but there’s no denying that across 700+ MLS matches since 2012 for our 3 MLS clubs 2 keeper appearances is pathetic. Hopefully this can change and all it takes is one keeper to prove that our young guys can step up to that role.  

10 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Going off current MLS keepers: Attinella, McCarthy, Miller, Melia, Knighton, Irwin to name a few. 

Canadian keepers never get a shot with our Canadian clubs, that’s just a fact.  I believe Crepeau is the only keeper to have played a league match since we’ve had 3 MLS teams. 

Meanwhile, our Canadian teams haven’t been hesitant to give guys like Bush and Bono shots after impressive lower league performances.  But then you have a guy like Quillan Roberts who was impressing at USL level since he was 20 but never considered for a shot in the same system. 

The Canadians are well known who have sat on rosters without getting a real shot: Thomas, Carducci, Roberts, Crepeau. 

Perhaps its just coincidence but there’s no denying that across 700+ MLS matches since 2012 for our 3 MLS clubs 2 keeper appearances is pathetic. Hopefully this can change and all it takes is one keeper to prove that our young guys can step up to that role.  

Agree with you that I'd like Crepeau to either get a real shot at an MLS job next season or move on to overseas opportunities. However, I think we can safely say that Thomas and Carducci were not good enough to get a game in the first team with the 'Caps. I'm not sure how good Roberts was at the time, nor can I recall who was blocking his path to the first team.

I think that, rather than putting it down to a real bias against Canadian 'keepers by the MLS teams, I'd be more likely to believe that we just haven't had any 'keepers who were good enough up to now.

1 hour ago, SthMelbRed said:

Agree with you that I'd like Crepeau to either get a real shot at an MLS job next season or move on to overseas opportunities. However, I think we can safely say that Thomas and Carducci were not good enough to get a game in the first team with the 'Caps. I'm not sure how good Roberts was at the time, nor can I recall who was blocking his path to the first team.

I think that, rather than putting it down to a real bias against Canadian 'keepers by the MLS teams, I'd be more likely to believe that we just haven't had any 'keepers who were good enough up to now.

I’d also want to believe that or some combination of that to be true.  It’s just disheartening to see so many average keepers get shots before a domestic keeper of equal pedigree.  There are a lot of keepers who aren’t good enough but still get a shot. 

Take for instance Marinovic, he was playing 4th division Germany prior to coming to Vancouver and getting games that same year.  There are so many factors at play in getting a shot in goal but there’s no denying that they’ve been extremely hard to come by for our keepers. 

Do we think that if Leutwiler/Thomas came back they would be given the starters spot with Vancouver or a shot?  Or would a Canadian last as long as Bono has with his poor play?  It’s tough because Canadians are easy scapegoats and there is no easier position to be a scapegoat than keeper. 

Edited by Keegan

2 hours ago, Keegan said:

Canadian keepers never get a shot with our Canadian clubs, that’s just a fact.  I believe Crepeau is the only keeper to have played a league match since we’ve had 3 MLS teams

Tiny corrections that don't take away from your point. Greg Sutton had a 24 minute appearance for Montreal in the league in 2012. Crepeau apparently had 3 appearances in 2017. So 2 keepers, and 4 appearances, all with Montreal. I'm not sure if I'm missing anybody else, but I'm reasonably sure that's it.

4 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I don't think there is a specific bias in that any of the Canadian teams discriminated against Canadian keepers or would not play one if he was good enough. The bias was in the discrimination against Canadian players in the MLS as a whole with the domestic rules applying to Americans league wide and with a very low domestic quota for Canadians on our own teams. With keeper being the hardest position to break through and get playing time or even an opportunity, it hurt us even more in this position than in other positions. Plus with two of the three Canadian teams having stable keeping situations during most of their MLS years, it made it very hard for Canadian keepers not considered domestic in the US to breakthrough anywhere.  

16 hours ago, Keegan said:

I think if MDS takes over in Vancouver this could change. The guy had to have a hand in bringing MAK, Q Roberts and Jakovic to LAFC. Three guys who all came from the lower levels.

honestly really excited if he takes over. I think whitecaps could become a really intriguing team from a development/canadian perspective.

40 minutes ago, lazlo_80 said:

I think if MDS takes over in Vancouver this could change. The guy had to have a hand in bringing MAK, Q Roberts and Jakovic to LAFC. Three guys who all came from the lower levels.

honestly really excited if he takes over. I think whitecaps could become a really intriguing team from a development/canadian perspective.

Great point, there’s two things MDS has brought to every club he’s been at: Canadians and success. 

Two things we’ve never had at our MLS teams: a coach that promotes Canadians or a Canadian coach.  

Losing Davies sucks but bringing in MDS is an amazing move for Canada and the Caps.

I think Crépeau is probably the second Canadian goalkeeper since 2012 to be a  dominant player in NASL/USL. The first being John Smits. Even with Smits, I don't know if it was the style of play of Edmonton that gave him the results and had 4 starts the following year. So, it's really hard to compare our goalkeepers to American goalkeepers who had success in lower leagues. 

8 hours ago, Keegan said:

A lot of those were back-ups in MLS before becoming #1. Some got lucky because the #1 goalkeeper got injured or they went to a place where there wasn't a clear-cut goalkeeper to get their big break. So, Crépeau would need to find his spot. The one goalkeeper I'd name is Matt Turner. 

Crépeau isn't that young anymore, 24yr old. He has also had injury problems in the past. The time is now for him to leverage his all-star USL season to push for a starting job at a higher level. If he rides the pine for a year or two people will forget about his USL performance, or he could get injury or the lack of playing time could affect his concentration (which has been an issue on a few occasions). I think he needs to roll the dice and tell the Impact he doesn't want to go back to USL, so play him or trade him.

24 is still young for a keeper.  Onstad didnt break into MLS until he was 32-33.  I dont recommend that, but we only have a few keepers playing regularly at ANY level.  He needs to keep putting in the work, honing his game, he still has lots of time.  I would hate to see him buried somewhere.  

22 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I don't think there is a specific bias in that any of the Canadian teams discriminated against Canadian keepers or would not play one if he was good enough. The bias was in the discrimination against Canadian players in the MLS as a whole with the domestic rules applying to Americans league wide and with a very low domestic quota for Canadians on our own teams. With keeper being the hardest position to break through and get playing time or even an opportunity, it hurt us even more in this position than in other positions. Plus with two of the three Canadian teams having stable keeping situations during most of their MLS years, it made it very hard for Canadian keepers not considered domestic in the US to breakthrough anywhere.  

Totally agree with this.  I am not seeing a Canuck MLS team bias against Canuck keepers.  Bush joined Montreal in the NASL, was one of the few players to stay with the team in the MLS, and experiences several lean playing years as a  result.  Once he won the starters spot he has not let go. If anything, Bush is an example of patience and a team trusting their back-up - just a shame he was not Canadian.  For Bono - when he came up from TFC II there was much discussion on here of Bono vs. Roberts and I would say it was a toss up.  I would have loved to see Roberts instead of Bono, but considering the year Bono had last year - there is not much argument now if that was the right call.  As to his performance this past year, he was not as good, but he benefits from having Vanney there.  Vanney is the type of coach who supports his players. He choose Bono as his no. 1 and he will stick by the decision. Caps had Carducci who many on here were boosting, but his career trajectory to date has not lived up to the hype.  

The three teams are relying on Canadians as third stringers/academy players.  For a keeper, it is matter of being in superb form when the opportunity arises.

IMO Crepeau should re-sign with Impacts (if given the chance) and push for the No. 2 spot. When the opportunity arises, he will need to take his shot at replacing Bush.  Unfortunately, this means pushing Pantemis down the pecking order, but I will look forward to repeating this conversation on the Pantemis thread.  

24 minutes ago, WheatsheafSK said:

IMO Crepeau should re-sign with Impacts (if given the chance) and push for the No. 2 spot. When the opportunity arises, he will need to take his shot at replacing Bush.  Unfortunately, this means pushing Pantemis down the pecking order, but I will look forward to repeating this conversation on the Pantemis thread.  

I agree with this, unfortunately Crepeau has said this is not what he wants. He wants to be given a chance for the #1 spot right away. He might not have a choice though because Montreal could still pick up his option for 2019.

Is Marinovic in Vancouver that far ahead of Crepeau? Maybe MDS brings Crepeau to Vancouver giving IMFC a super draft pick or some Garber bucks.

I have never been impressed with Crepeau. Having said that, I haven't seen him this season for Ottawa and by all accounts he has been great. I am prepared to accept that a 24 year old keeper improved significantly by getting regular playing time.

I don't know where he goes from here, he's in a weird spot. I was always of the mind that a keeper past the age of 23 should never be a back up (unless you're in a spot where you're getting overpaid). There are so many clubs in the world, find one at the best level you can be a starter at. Of course, that is easier said than done...especially for a Canadian.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I have never been impressed with Crepeau. Having said that, I haven't seen him this season for Ottawa and by all accounts he has been great. I am prepared to accept that a 24 year old keeper improved significantly by getting regular playing time.

I don't know where he goes from here, he's in a weird spot. I was always of the mind that a keeper past the age of 23 should never be a back up (unless you're in a spot where you're getting overpaid). There are so many clubs in the world, find one at the best level you can be a starter at. Of course, that is easier said than done...especially for a Canadian.

Borjan was a back up for many years past the age of 23 until he signed with Red Star and look at him now!

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

Borjan was a back up for many years past the age of 23 until he signed with Red Star and look at him now!

Borjan has had a really interesting path, and I really admire him. That being said, I don't think it was beneficial for him. Perhaps it made him more resilient, but he must have been pretty resilient to begin with to have kept on plugging away. I don't think we can say that his riding the pine helped him.

I'm not trying to say that we should write off back up keepers who are over 23, I was just generally stating I think they should be starting somewhere, and I think Crepeau is at a critical point. But, if his career path and ability ends up being Borjan-like, I'd be very happy.

3 hours ago, El Diego said:

I have never been impressed with Crepeau.

I still remember how awesome he was for our U17s. He had such good instincts, and was our best player by a mile kilometre. His injury at the World Cup was a big blow.

Yes, that was a while ago now, but I was definitely impressed, and have always hoped he could make the jump to professional football. Keepers can sometimes develop later (due to lack of 1st team opportunities, etc), so I'm still optimistic Crepeau has a chance to be Canada's #1 sometime down the line.

Edited by Bertuzzi44

15 hours ago, El Diego said:

I'm not trying to say that we should write off back up keepers who are over 23, I was just generally stating I think they should be starting somewhere, and I think Crepeau is at a critical point. But, if his career path and ability ends up being Borjan-like, I'd be very happy.

I don't think you can be that black and white. If goalkeepers had the same mindset there would be a lot of them retiring prematurely. Just think about it for a minute.

Age range of potential backups. If we are being generous, lets say 18-23. A five year span.

Age range of guys that mustn't be backups. 24-40. A 16 year span.

It would make sense that you would have more pros in the larger span (even if we make the cut off 35, it would still be more than double the span of the young guys).

Job opportunities for starters. 1 per team.

Job opportunities for backups. 1-2 (maybe 3 backups on some big teams?) per team.

So really roughly (using no actual data) you probably have 2 to 3 times more goalkeepers that are 24+, but 1.5 to 2 times more opportunities for backup roles. So there has to be backups that are 24+.

On 11/7/2018 at 11:48 PM, El Diego said:

I was just generally stating I think they should be starting somewhere, and I think Crepeau is at a critical point. 

He is. He should be playing week-in week-out, and I doubt he'll take an MLS starting spot right now. Why not stay in USL / CanPL for a couple of years and get those number of games in? He might get ready for that starting spot with 100 games behind his name.