Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

8 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

The league isn't fixed it's just that the infusion of Champions League cash into Red Star's coffers has completely unbalanced the league.

I am in agreement that the Champions League money plus being one of the biggest teams in the country combines for a distinct advantage over all other teams except Partizan.  I didn't say the league was fixed, just that this isn't "proof" that it isn't.

Oh weird.  Serbia ranks 87th out of 180 with a score of only 39/100 on the Corruption Perception Index.  But I'm sure a highly clean sport like soccer that's overseen by a highly clean organization like FIFA would definitely ensure that a league in this sort of environment was completely clean and free of corruption as well.

https://www.transparency.org/country/SRB

Edited by Watchmen

Jeepers, Serbia is PERCEIVED to be corrupt and we have no proof that the soccer isnt fixed.  Holy moley, I hope if I ever go to trial you are not in my jury.  

As far as i remember the 6-1 loss to PSG didnt come up with anything other than UEFA got a anon tip that a outrageous bet was made.  Either way, Borjan is a damn good keeper, but Crepeau is closing the gap and it wouldnt surprise me if both he and Leautwiler got a game in the next year.  

To get this thread back on track:

Borjan plays for a big team in a smaller league where the only real challenge is the Champions League, where the team has been shelled recently.  Further, in 2 of his last 3 big games for Canada (Haiti, US away) he's given up horrific goals at crucial times. I thank him for everything he's given to Canada, for stepping in at a time when we had no one coming through the system and as bad as things have been at times they'd be so much worse without him and some of the huge performances he had.

But...

Crepeau plays for a smaller (or at least cheaper) team in a better league and put up strong numbers behind a porous defense.  It's time to see what he can do at the international level behind the full national team.

9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

To get this thread back on track:

Borjan plays for a big team in a smaller league where the only real challenge is the Champions League, where the team has been shelled recently.  Further, in 2 of his last 3 big games for Canada (Haiti, US away) he's given up horrific goals at crucial times. I thank him for everything he's given to Canada, for stepping in at a time when we had no one coming through the system and as bad as things have been at times they'd be so much worse without him and some of the huge performances he had.

But...

Crepeau plays for a smaller (or at least cheaper) team in a better league and put up strong numbers behind a porous defense.  It's time to see what he can do at the international level behind the full national team.

First, what's the "horrific" goal Borjan gave away against the US?

Second, concerning Max, as a MNT fan I would find it more comforting if he could prove himself with a decent team where he isn't facing 25 shots per game. I think he's really good but I think playing for a poor team in front of a very average defense isn't helping his case since he has very little pressure. That's clearly not his fault and he has done his job but on a MNT perspective, I would like to see him playing well in a more challenging club situation before I'm ready to say that he's good enough to take Borjan place.

I love how last year people were singing red star’s praises because they got some results, and now people are claiming the league is fixed just because they couldn’t repeat their success in the champions league. Shouldn’t their result against Liverpool last year have been fixed? Obviously a team like Liverpool should have the ability to beat red star! 

ok I just making fun of everyone. Why are we arguing when obviously nobody has a clue weather the league is fixed?

5 hours ago, BFBF said:

I love how last year people were singing red star’s praises because they got some results, and now people are claiming the league is fixed just because they couldn’t repeat their success in the champions league. Shouldn’t their result against Liverpool last year have been fixed? Obviously a team like Liverpool should have the ability to beat red star! 

ok I just making fun of everyone. Why are we arguing when obviously nobody has a clue weather the league is fixed?

You're aren't wrong though.  It happens with a lot of players on our program.  Cornelius doesn't belong on the field one month, and is our best center back the next.  Junior is old and washed up one month, needs to be starting the next month.  Osorio doesn't belong on the team one month, should be starting the next, etc. etc.

I joke as well but it's somewhat accurate.  We all just get a little excited sometimes.

Edited by Corazon

12 hours ago, aloyol said:

First, what's the "horrific" goal Borjan gave away against the US?

Second, concerning Max, as a MNT fan I would find it more comforting if he could prove himself with a decent team where he isn't facing 25 shots per game. I think he's really good but I think playing for a poor team in front of a very average defense isn't helping his case since he has very little pressure. That's clearly not his fault and he has done his job but on a MNT perspective, I would like to see him playing well in a more challenging club situation before I'm ready to say that he's good enough to take Borjan place.

The 2nd goal, where he charges way out to a ball he doesn't have a chance of getting to first and is on a poor angle, leaving the net open.  Not saying the defenders played it well, but Borjan really didn't play that well.

Sure, you're not wrong on Max.  That's why friendlies are critical.  To see what he can do at the international level.  It's why the CSA's failure to schedule any is still crippling the program.  I don't want it to sounds like I'd never call in Borjan either.  Just that we should be looking at the succession plan and that Borjan shouldn't be the automatic starter every time anymore.

11 hours ago, Watchmen said:

The 2nd goal, where he charges way out to a ball he doesn't have a chance of getting to first and is on a poor angle, leaving the net open.  Not saying the defenders played it well, but Borjan really didn't play that well.

Sure, you're not wrong on Max.  That's why friendlies are critical.  To see what he can do at the international level.  It's why the CSA's failure to schedule any is still crippling the program.  I don't want it to sounds like I'd never call in Borjan either.  Just that we should be looking at the succession plan and that Borjan shouldn't be the automatic starter every time anymore.

That wasn't a horrific goal and I think people here are very tough on Milan for that goal. 

I don't think the decision to come out is a bad one since the US player would've been all alone with all the time to move toward the goal with no pressure and time to make a pass in front of the goal. He also almost blocked the the cross, so to blame him for that goal is IMHO a bit harsh. He had to react in a second to a defensive mistake and it almost worked, so not sure he deserves much of the blame here.

Regarding Max, yes friendlies are nice but a solid club situation is better to assess a keeper IMO. If Vancouver are challenging for a playoff spot and Max is still the starter and doing well, he might be able to make a case for a starting spot with Canada but for that you'll need to see a drop in Borjan's form. BTW, not sure why we are talking about succession when our starting keeper is 32 years old which is still young for a keeper. So, unless we have a better option (someone performing better at a similar level), which I don't think we have at the moment, I think we'll continue to see Borjan as our starter.

TFC GK coach Jon Conway said on OneSoccer during half time and post match, he shouldn't have come out.

First, if you are coming out, you need to get close to ball. He didn't. Then tried to salvage it with a "half-hearty block attempt" (paraphrasing Jon). 

If he stayed back, near post shot is usually saved. Far pot shot is more likely to score but difficult to execute. Cross would be able to caught, punched away and worse case is to make a great save. 

Anyway, based on body of work in recent years, with national team and club, he has shown to be a bit too casual at times and/or makes too aggressive of a decision.  He's not a rock anymore. 

15 minutes ago, red card said:

TFC GK coach Jon Conway said on OneSoccer during half time and post match, he shouldn't have come out.

First, if you are coming out, you need to get close to ball. He didn't. Then tried to salvage it with a "half-hearty block attempt" (paraphrasing Jon). 

If he stayed back, near post shot is usually saved. Far pot shot is more likely to score but difficult to execute. Cross would be able to caught, punched away and worse case is to make a great save. 

Anyway, based on body of work in recent years, with national team and club, he has shown to be a bit too casual at times and/or makes too aggressive of a decision.  He's not a rock anymore. 

He is close to the ball when the ball is crossed. It's a matter of a fraction of a second. I think his body shape could've been better and he could've made himself bigger whne he came out (that's where I agree with Conway).

I agree that he is a bit erratic at times but from what I've seen from Crépeau so far, I think Borjan is still a good step ahead. Of course, like I said, a solid club season for Crépeau could change the whole goalkeeping picture.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
3 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

According to the link above, the 'Caps have 24 players on MLS contracts for 2021, and 5 of those are young, academy kids who probably aren't ready for substantial minutes, yet. There's room there for Axel to work. I'm mostly disappointed right now that it's looking like MDS isn't getting sacked.

Axel has said Hasal needs to play and will be loaned. The good news is any CDN coming through the academy or a list of MLS approved youth clubs is considered a domestic league wide, eventually the Caps will be able to trade Crepeau to another MLS team unless he’s sold to Europe.

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Axel has said Hasal needs to play and will be loaned. The good news is any CDN coming through the academy or a list of MLS approved youth clubs is considered a domestic league wide, eventually the Caps will be able to trade Crepeau to another MLS team unless he’s sold to Europe.

I was chatting with Sven Habermann on @ThatOlCeePee's CSL Memories Facebook page a few months ago. We talked about how strong the goalkeeping was in that league, with almost every team having a solid, or better, domestic 'keeper, or two. My sincere hope is that we can get to a place where every CanPL team and the 3 MLS teams can rely on only Canadian goalkeepers in the near future. The 'Caps are looking good on that front.

• 1 month later...
31 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Agreed, obviously Hasal’s ceiling is higher, but don’t see why Max can’t go a bit higher than MLS.

I'd like to see Max take another move higher at some point, but Hasal has more time on his side, not to mention a little bit of hype. Now is the ideal time for him to test the European market. I think Crepeau has to be a little more selective if and when he moves on. In the meantime he has plenty to prove with the Whitecaps and in MLS.

They both need to play, moving on and up should be a secondary priority especially for Crepeau.  Look at Leutwiler, promising until he goes to Blackburn and sits for 3 years.  How much did that help him?  Crepeau is 26, he cant afford to jump somewhere and not play.  MLS is a good level for a CMNT keeper.  Be one of the top MLS keepers and I'll be happy. Max could be a solid contributer to national team for the next 6-7 years from right where he is now.